BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Rothwell bursting forward this season worked a lot better than Holtby and Trybull keeping the ball ticking around in no mans land. A team that doesn't have any pace doesn't have an easy outlet when under pressure, can't stretch the play as easily, can't exploit a slow defence as easily. A team needs a style and we have shown we are better at countering, which needs pace in the team.

Of course it isn't enough to just be fast or Usain Bolt would have become world class. I wouldn't advocate signing someone who is fast but shit. But I want someone who is quick and can play. You can get away with being a bit slow these days still if you're an absolute baller, but you can't have a whole team of those - I can't think of a successful recent team with no pace in their locker.

Your arguement started with, that we will miss the pace of Rothwell and Khadra. Therefore we had pace with those players. We are a team that had pace and weren't successful.

7 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Have you ever thought that the "best" candidates" as named on here and in media are not always the better fit for the club? I mean, I have been in jobs where the stand out favourites have actually missed the job because a lesser candidate actually showed an alternative view to the job which might just be to the benefit of the club.

All this nonsense about wages being an issue, all this nonsense about Benson - Lowe I will have/understand and the nonsense about being a lack of ambition/money or interest from those within the club is total bullshit - yes we have seen over the years the club spiral into chaos but right now, after a pandemic of massive proportions, the club is on a stable footing, we are not facing issues with FFP, we are not facing administration or a points deduction, we are not a Derby County, Bristol C or any of the other clubs that are facing financial investigations.

Yes, there are issues with season ticket/match prices, and I for one sincerely hope the club are listening to the likes of RT and I am disappointed that so far, I haven't seen a response to the letter that was so eloquently put together by those with a real concern.

So, as for the new manager to be, it isn't a grayson, it isn't a coyle wannabee cheapee, its looking like an alternative vision, something new so lets see how it pans out. There is no ruish to get the manager behind the desk next week, its a conditioning week, the real training starts in 10 days, that's when the manager needs to be in.

Yes I agree we've no idea how this will turn out & things may turn out well I hope they do & whoev it is will get the fans support however the owners are the big problem here if they'd started sounding out people for the Dof in March appointed at the end of the season & sorted the Head coach just after we might've kept hold of DL the biggest issue with them they dither, delay with every decision & still don't know how to run a football club which they should've done by now that's the main reason people are hacked off with the owners 

Edited by Brfcrule1
To add

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I have my doubts Chaddy. I’ll tell you why. Putting his coaching background to one side. Has he ever lived in this country ? Have you ever worked away from home and family for any length or time ? I have and it’s hard, really hard. Only guys who never wanted to get married in the first place enjoy working away. I’ve known a few of those but mainly guys find it hard. Living out of a hotel room is crap, even if it’s a good hotel.

That’s just one of the reasons why I’d rather have somebody who’s managed in England previously.

As someone who has spent all but 4 years of their adult life living outside of their home country I can tell you that you've being a little bit dramatic and you'll find plenty within expat communities, including those with families, who love living abroad.

Factor in that JDT has lived in England before and spent his professional life living outside of his home country, it all seems like a total non-starter as a negative. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Just don’t get good vibes about JDT. Based on nothing but what I’ve read in here I just don’t feel it would be the right appointment after Mowbray. It does look like it’s going to be him though so it’s get behind the lads and go again and hope for the best

It best be JDT I put £50 on it last night stupidly…

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s in his favour then, he ‘ll know about the “ culture “ and he’ll know what he’s letting himself in for to a certain extent.  Was he married then though ? Being part of a group of similar guys in one thing, being in charge of them is another. “ The loneliness of command “ an all that. 

Not sure.Anyway with the way this process is going there will probably be a new favourite tomorrow and JDT will be forgotten about 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavrover said:

I honestly don't think we will miss Khadra one bit and Rothwell although dynamic 8/10 games were average.. like I said we will need bodies but a fit dack is key.. Buckley will get better and of course we will need a signing or 3. Gallagher might be a lump but he can Score 18-20 goals. A solid centre back like Cahill for a season with his experience and leadership could be effective. 

I disagree about Kadrah.  We looked a far more dangerous attacking unit with him in it.  He offered us an outlet, was unpredictable and forced teams to sit a little deeper.  If he was our player, I'd be very excited about how he would develop this season. 

Dack and Buckley will be effective if surrounded by pace.  We have zero of that now.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

1 hour ago, Gavrover said:

I honestly don't think we will miss Khadra one bit and Rothwell although dynamic 8/10 games were average.. like I said we will need bodies but a fit dack is key.. Buckley will get better and of course we will need a signing or 3. Gallagher might be a lump but he can Score 18-20 goals. A solid centre back like Cahill for a season with his experience and leadership could be effective. 

On what basis have you come to the conclusion that Gallagher can score 18-20 goals? He has never got close to such a number, even under Coyle when we was unsustainably attacking with 2 wingers and Gallagher as part of a front 2. He doesn't have a natural goalscoring instinct.

Rothwell was inconsistent as was Khadra but both will leave holes that will be difficult to equally replace considering we have received nothing for either upon their departure.

The key is recruitment and indeed what budget the new manager will have, but it is a huge challenge to replicate even an 8th place finish when we have half of the team departing mainly for free. I feel you and others are underestimating this.

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you must have been watching far away from ewood 🤣

Was the same team every time during the good run. Kaminski in net, Lenihan, Van Hecke and Wharton as a back 3, Nyambe right wing back, Pickering left wing back, Travis and Rothwell in central midfield, Brereton left forward, Khadra right forward, Buckley false 9.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Ahh ok, so Giles wasn't played out of position? He's a right-sided forward is he? Bradley Johnson is a natural false 9?

'Start' to play players out of position...he did it through most of his tenure. Gally, Bennett and Bucko at RB, Dack as false 9, Rodwell as CB where he hadn't played since he was about 18, JRC at LB, two big lads on the flank with a little fella in the middle. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

My point was certainly not that Mowbray didn't play players out of position. It was that Buckley was a false 9 throughout our good run, it wasn't a change made following it that led to a dip in form. 

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If you feel underwhelm by this possible appointment fine but I don't. 

I'm sure if Wagner or Jokanovic wanted the head coach job they would have made their interest know to Rovers. 

For me, you get the best head coach who fits in with your footballing structure and strategy. 

Broughton has been here 4 days and I would imagine been very busy with helping with head coach search, etc. 

How do we know he hasn't agree a contract here and Venkys have approve the move? So the Work Permit can be apply for. 

I don't know how long its take to get a work permit. 

The new head coach along with Gregg Broughton will decide I would imagine but I personally think Jack Vale is ready to step up to our first team squad,. James Brown I feel is capable of challenging for a right back spot whether its Nyambe or new right back signing. I think Ash Phillips and Jake Garrett are most the capable of playing a role as squad player. 

All assumptions, and not really relevant. My point was (again) that I was hoping for a successor to Mowbray that had a proven track record, the likes of Farke, Carvalhal, Dyche, Jokanovic and Wagner all fit this remit, they would all have been ambitious appointments IMO capable of pushing us forward.

You also repeatedly called for a manager like Farke or Carvalhal with a proven track record, so what would excite you about the potential Tomasson appointment, and what has caused that change in expectation?

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has study football and he has over 20 years in the game. Have you listen to his interview on Rovers TV? 

I never said the whole of Europe. 

Its appears that JDT is the favourite to come here now and he has barely been linked to the head coach job apart from the last 2 days.  I want someone here who wants to manage our football club

Whoever comes in as manager will want to manage us, of course to receive a wage.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

No, I'm not counting pub leagues ....are.you?

That's an ignorant comment.

By your reckoning you'd have dismissed Graham Potter  for his Swedish efforts and I reckon that would have been your loss... 

Edited by yeti-dog
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I disagree about Kadrah.  We looked a far more dangerous attacking unit with him in it.  He offered us an outlet, was unpredictable and forced teams to sit a little deeper.  If he was our player, I'd be very excited about he would develop this season. 

Dack and Buckley will be effective if surrounded by pace.  We have zero of that now.

Markanday is meant to be pacy.Hopefully he can fill the Khadra void and give us the same outlet but you are right we do need more pace in the team.

Hope we reignite our interest in Styles at Barnsley he can carry the ball like Rothwell 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

It’s not total bullshit to claim that the new managers have to work with existing coaches, it’s a fact, as Lowe and Benson are still here.

Venky’s not paying the wages in the past again is fact, do you remember Owen Coyle’s appointment?

If things are different now to how they’ve been in the past eleven years, then just explain why, instead of rudely telling people they’re talking rubbish every day.

I would suggest that those who speak I’ll get their arms down to Ewood and speak to those in the SMT to get the reality rather than relying on complete and utter speculation 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As someone who has spent all but 4 years of their adult life living outside of their home country I can tell you that you've being a little bit dramatic and you'll find plenty within expat communities, including those with families, who love living abroad.

Factor in that JDT has lived in England before and spent his professional life living outside of his home country, it all seems like a total non-starter as a negative. 

So you’ve basically emigrated and you don’t intend to return then ? That’s not quite the same as moving abroad to do a job for a limited amount of time. It’ll be interesting to see if he brings his family with him, if he has one that is. That’s what you miss in my opinion.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Mowbray couldn't make possession football work, but it doesn't mean the next guy who might have better ideas how to use possession won't be able to make it work.

Yes but initially  we would need to invest heavily in players capable of playing that way.  We won't.  That's why it wouldn't work for Mowbray 

Alternatively, the DoF  introduces that from academy level up.  In 4-5 years we then have a conveyor belt of  players who are comfortable with that system.  Then you move to that system at first team level. 

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

But it also helps if your players are faster to that ball than the opposition!

And it also is better, if your players can do something useful with that ball once they have got it.

41 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

True, and I've previously said I have a feeling he will more or less replace Khadra. I think we are going to want a quick attacker to replace BBD when he leaves. Then we can possibly survive by just being down Rothwell's pace, as it's probably more important in the final third than from the middle third. Long passes onto quick attackers can compensate, so we are probably reliant on Buckley and whoever replaces Rothwell.

I think we are singing from the same hymn  sheet pace wise.  At least one of the front 3 needs to be seriously rapid.  

Our biggest issue pace wise is the lack of quick full backs.  

3-4 quick players in a side is essential these days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I would suggest that those who speak I’ll get their arms down to Ewood and speak to those in the SMT to get the reality rather than relying on complete and utter speculation 

Why is your natural instinct to merely tell people "to go to Ewood themselves" rather than divulging specifics as to what you have learnt that makes what many of us say to be totally the wrong impression?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I have my doubts Chaddy. I’ll tell you why. Putting his coaching background to one side. Has he ever lived in this country ? Have you ever worked away from home and family for any length or time ? I have and it’s hard, really hard. Only guys who never wanted to get married in the first place enjoy working away. I’ve known a few of those but mainly guys find it hard. Living out of a hotel room is crap, even if it’s a good hotel.

That’s just one of the reasons why I’d rather have somebody who’s managed in England previously.

To be fair, TS, he is Danish and has either played or coached in Holland, England, Italy, Germany, Spain and Sweden. He would also have lived in all those countries with the possible exception of Sweden. I dont think he’ll have any trouble living and moving his family to England, should he be appointed.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s in his favour then, he ‘ll know about the “ culture “ and he’ll know what he’s letting himself in for to a certain extent.  Was he married then though ? Being part of a group of similar guys in one thing, being in charge of them is another. “ The loneliness of command “ an all that. 

I’m not sure how happy his memories of his time over here can be. He absolutely flopped at Newcastle. The only blot on an otherwise really impressive career.

Seem to remember a lot of talk at the time about him struggling to adapt to the English game.

25 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Can i suggest you suggest to them to pull their fingers out and actually communicate properly and regularly with their fanbase like normal clubs do.

It would save Waggots appointment book getting unreasonably full, in between your chats to him of course.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Yup. Hypothetically then... Who would you want chasing after a through ball Rankin Costello, Gallagher or Khadrah?

Well as Khadra would be starting from Brighton, he would be at a disadvantage. I would choose Gally of the other two, as he is a forward. 

Edited by rigger