BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

• Backroom

Now that both clubs are down, I actually feel JDT is more likely to stay. In his mind (or certainly mine) surely it’s better to keep building something you’ve started and have seen progress on that to move sideways to a new rebuilding job?

Higher profile club, higher wages for him, parachute payments so bigger transfer and wage budget - ergo I’d be very surprised if he turned down a Leeds (but luckily I highly doubt he’d be offered it, Leicester too).

Edited by Mattyblue

22 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Now that both clubs are down, I actually feel JDT is more likely to stay. In his mind (or certainly mine) surely it’s better to keep building something you’ve started and have seen progress on that to move sideways to a new rebuilding job?

Tomasson would have far more cash to play with in the transfer market to get the players he really wants. Much better chance of promotion to the Premier League (where I'm sure Tomasson's personal goal lies) with Leeds United or Leicester City than with Project Free Transfers and Loans Rovers.

51 minutes ago, philipl said:

JDT has been a builder throughout his career.

Don't think maximising revenue from a fire sale is the kind of project he would relish.

On the contrary, I think he'd love to rebuild one of the biggest clubs in the country with the resources they'll have after selling players and parachute payments. Allardyce stated it would be a rebuild, and it sounds right up JDT's street: "The rebuild has to be carefully planned."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

On the contrary, I think he'd love to rebuild one of the biggest clubs in the country with the resources they'll have after selling players and parachute payments. Allardyce stated it would be a rebuild, and it sounds right up JDT's street: "The rebuild has to be carefully planned."

I am not completely on top of this but the Finance guys at Leeds and Leicester probably needed talking out of throwing themselves off a window ledge this morning.

The rebuilding which is possible will be tiny compared with the knocking down needed first.

Leicester's wages are 260% of their 2023/4 income including their parachute payment. Leicester do apparently have a 50% relegation salary cut in their contracts unlike...

Good luck to Leeds getting rid of these:

Players Base Salary Weekly Wages Position Contracts
Illan Meslier £3.1m £65k GK 2026
Kristoffer Klaesson £1.2m £25k GK 2025
Joel Robles (new signing) £1m £21k GK 2023
Pascal Struijk £2.8m £60k DEF 2027
Robin Koch £3.6m £75k DEF 2024
Diego Llorente £3.1m £65k DEF 2026
Maximilian Wöber (new signing) £2.8m £60k DEF 2027
Liam Cooper £2.2m £45k DEF 2024
Junior Firpo £2.8m £60k DEF 2025
Leo Fuhr Hjelde £480k £10k DEF 2025
Rasmus Kristensen (new signing) £2.2m £45k DEF 2027
Cody Drameh £750k £16k DEF 2024
Luke Ayling £1m £21k DEF 2023
Stuart Dallas £816k £17k DEF 2024
Marc Roca (new signing) £2.8m £60k MID 2026
Tyler Adams (new signing) £4m £85k MID 2027
Mateusz Klich £2.64m £55k MID 2024
Adam Forshaw £800k £16.6k MID 2023
Brenden Aaronson (new signing) £4.8m £100k MID 2027
Sam Greenwood £1m £21k MID 2026
Jack Harrison £5.76m £120k MID 2024
Luis Sinisterra (new signing) £4.8m £100k MID 2027
Crysencio Summerville £1.2m £25k MID 2026
Wilfried Gnonto (new signing) £2.1m £44k SS 2027
Rodrigo £3.6m £75k FW 2024
Patrick Bamford £4m £85k FW 2026
Joe Gelhardt £1.1m £24k FW 2027
  • Like 2

• Backroom

From what I've been reading Leicester may have already committed a significant amount of their PL prize money towards paying this season's costs, and future running costs would need to be sourced from the Parachute Payments as per their agreement with the lender, so their rebuild may not be very easy. By the sounds of it they will desperately need to get back up at the first attempt.

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Read that King Power as a business has seen its sales collapse post Covid.

It is primarily involved in Duty Free shopping for travel and tourism and has a minority stake in Air Asia X in Thailand. There was no cash available for Leicester at the end of  the pandemic because King Power revenues dropped by over 80% plunging them into huge losses.

The extent of the post-Covid recovery (if any) is not yet public. Air Asia X Thailand has posted a record quarterly improvement at the end of 2022 but is still at a fraction of revenue and passengers of 2019.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Bamford £85K a week. Incredible if true. 

I believe it is true but it could be his medical bill.

And that table doesn't include that eminently unsellable asset Giorgino Rutter who cost a transfer fee of 36m...

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

Indeed, so it made me laugh when some were saluting the new EFL TV deal as a way of making club’s solvent, improve infrastructure etc… it will all go into the pockets of players and agents.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I am not completely on top of this but the Finance guys at Leeds and Leicester probably needed talking out of throwing themselves off a window ledge this morning.

The rebuilding which is possible will be tiny compared with the knocking down needed first.

Leicester's wages are 260% of their 2023/4 income including their parachute payment. Leicester do apparently have a 50% relegation salary cut in their contracts unlike...

Good luck to Leeds getting rid of these:

Players Base Salary Weekly Wages Position Contracts
Illan Meslier £3.1m £65k GK 2026
Kristoffer Klaesson £1.2m £25k GK 2025
Joel Robles (new signing) £1m £21k GK 2023
Pascal Struijk £2.8m £60k DEF 2027
Robin Koch £3.6m £75k DEF 2024
Diego Llorente £3.1m £65k DEF 2026
Maximilian Wöber (new signing) £2.8m £60k DEF 2027
Liam Cooper £2.2m £45k DEF 2024
Junior Firpo £2.8m £60k DEF 2025
Leo Fuhr Hjelde £480k £10k DEF 2025
Rasmus Kristensen (new signing) £2.2m £45k DEF 2027
Cody Drameh £750k £16k DEF 2024
Luke Ayling £1m £21k DEF 2023
Stuart Dallas £816k £17k DEF 2024
Marc Roca (new signing) £2.8m £60k MID 2026
Tyler Adams (new signing) £4m £85k MID 2027
Mateusz Klich £2.64m £55k MID 2024
Adam Forshaw £800k £16.6k MID 2023
Brenden Aaronson (new signing) £4.8m £100k MID 2027
Sam Greenwood £1m £21k MID 2026
Jack Harrison £5.76m £120k MID 2024
Luis Sinisterra (new signing) £4.8m £100k MID 2027
Crysencio Summerville £1.2m £25k MID 2026
Wilfried Gnonto (new signing) £2.1m £44k SS 2027
Rodrigo £3.6m £75k FW 2024
Patrick Bamford £4m £85k FW 2026
Joe Gelhardt £1.1m £24k FW 2027

I think all Prem teams have relegation wage reduction clauses will mean that those wages will be slashed in half following relegation..  Even so, those are huge and unsustainable wages in the Championship, but all 3 teams coming down have 3 years worth of parachute payments to cushion that blow

Edited by KentExile

20 minutes ago, KentExile said:

I think all Prem teams have relegation wage reduction clauses will mean that those wages will be slashed in half following relegation..  Even so, those are huge and unsustainable wages in the Championship, but all 3 teams coming down have 3 years worth of parachute payments to cushion that blow

A lot of the players will also have relegation release clauses. Brenden Aaronson, who is supposedly on £100k per week according to @philipl's list, has one which is now active. I assume others will, too.

Leeds United have to get those players off their books, most certainly, or I'm not sure parachute payments can't cushion those sorts of wages!

5 hours ago, goozburger said:

A lot of the players will also have relegation release clauses. Brenden Aaronson, who is supposedly on £100k per week according to @philipl's list, has one which is now active. I assume others will, too.

Leeds United have to get those players off their books, most certainly, or I'm not sure parachute payments can't cushion those sorts of wages!

The problem for Leeds is they will struggle to shift them because simply put the players aren't very good.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Take it Leeds / Leicester won't be getting sanctioned for FFP breaches (sure they both breached on losses in getting promoted out of the Championship)

Leicester settled with a £3m fine some years back

Leeds didn't fail FFP rules when promoted. They are part of a group of clubs suing Everton for their FFP losses at the moment

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Those wages are not verified so might be wrong (Klich has left for a start) and likely will include relegation % reduction clauses to be fair. And most of the top earners will likely be the ones that potentially will be taken by other clubs.

Leeds total player wage bill is reportedly in excess of 70m.

I don't think it adds up unless the individual player wages are in the region of those figures.

Klich had a contract expiring next season and had by mutual agreement signed for DC United in January. That 2m Leeds paid him got them 16 appearances in 22/3 including being a Carabao Cup stalwart.

Leeds got lucky with Klich. Most disposals will now involve Leeds in diverting funds to pay off departing players to leave.

25 minutes ago, philipl said:

Leeds total player wage bill is reportedly in excess of 70m.

I don't think it adds up unless the individual player wages are in the region of those figures.

Klich had a contract expiring next season and had by mutual agreement signed for DC United in January. That 2m Leeds paid him got them 16 appearances in 22/3 including being a Carabao Cup stalwart.

Leeds got lucky with Klich. Most disposals will now involve Leeds in diverting funds to pay off departing players to leave.

You can shave a big fraction off going forward for relegation wage drops. And a number of those will be attractive to new clubs so it will come massively down and be supplemented by parachute money. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You can shave a big fraction off going forward for relegation wage drops. And a number of those will be attractive to new clubs so it will come massively down and be supplemented by parachute money. 

Leicester certainly have relegation clauses. 

Are you certain Leeds have them?

• Like 1