BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

36 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

does anyone like a steak pudding barmcake,absolute heaven🙂

I frequently had pie butties in my youth. Can't say it mattered which pie though. Meat pie, butter pie, cheese and onion. My mates thought I was mad.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not KFC or Mcds. I like Nando's or chippy tea the most, but I prefer to make my own at home whether its Indian, Nando's or Chinese or etc. 

I like spaghetti bolognaise. Curry and rice. Cheese and bean casserole.  All home made

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I can't believe the gall of mentioning McDonald's and Burger King in the same sentence as a chippy. Get out! 👉

(My profile pic lends well to this)

Ironically I had a huge burger when I went to aspinall Arms yesterday in Clitheroe 

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Ironically I had a huge burger when I went to aspinall Arms yesterday in Clitheroe 

It must have been huge if you could sit in Clitheroe and reach it in the Aspinall Arms.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I grew up in Ossy it was always a tea cake. Then there were currant tea cakes which were usually toasted and buttered. 

I have a mate who had a bakers in Ossy for 40 years and we’ve always argued about barm cake, oven bottom etc. He has always always called them muffins. 

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Hope some of you recieve Royalties from Holly Tree..they charge enough!

I fell off my seat at how cheap those menu prices are.

Anyway, if Mrs JDT is opening an establishment in Whalley, I would guess it will be more Noma than Holly Tree Chippy.

7 hours ago, J*B said:

If there’s ever something to symbolise BRFCS in the off-season it’s the u-turn this thread has taken. 

What you on about? This is bang on topic.

This discussion is to help JDT's mrs when she opens up the chippy. 

After reading this she'll know that dabs, tea cakes and John Bulls are essentials for any chippy menu.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philipl said:

I fell off my seat at how cheap those menu prices are.

Anyway, if Mrs JDT is opening an establishment in Whalley, I would guess it will be more Noma than Holly Tree Chippy.

That’s what I thought so I checked and that price list isn’t up to date.

Even the current prices aren’t bad, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

What you on about? This is bang on topic.

This discussion is to help JDT's mrs when she opens up the chippy. 

After reading this she'll know that dabs, tea cakes and John Bulls are essentials for any chippy menu.

If she doesn't call them chip barms she will be making a fookup on a par with her hubby's subs in the Sheff U game !

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 19:06, SuperBrfc said:

What is the forum's view on fishcakes?

I can't get enough of them. If I see fishcakes in a chippy, I have to get one.

Fishcake in a t-cake @Upside Down, that's the one for me.

I hope the Tomasson family chippy sells them, when they eventually open up shop 😁.

What kind of fish cake, like a John Bull but fish instead of mincemeat.  Loved em always got one visiting grannie in Colne as a kid

I remember travelling to Sheffield for a game at Sheff Utd when I was around 15 or 16 (so 43+ years ago now) and as we arrived very early the bunch of us going into a chippy and me feeling 'outed' as an alien visitor when I asked for mushy peas with my pie & chips - t' woman behind counter nearly shrieked with laughter, "Moosheh pays? Tha's not reight in head, duck" which I was worried drew attention to my scrawny arse from a (to me at the time) potentially hostile group of youths in Sheff U colours who had crowded into the chippy behind us in the queue. "Bah bah, mooshey pays" she screeched as I dashed out of the door clutching my dry pie and king Charles sausage finger chips in a bag... something caught my eye on the way out - a sign on the wall saying, ' Cake Butty 35p'  "Fat Yorkshire bastards!" I muttered under my breath (I believe now it was a dab on a teacake, rather than some obtuse adaptation of deep fried Mars Bar). I doubt the Sheff U fans even noticed me, but it put me off my lunch and I was starving by the time we got to the ground, but I'd run out of money for anything else 🫢

The game didn't go well for Rovers - 3-0 to Sheff U rings a bell. The journey home via Manchester didn't go smoothly either, as I got detained by a zealous Manchester policeman who singled me out from the group (I was definitely the runt and so easiest to nab) on suspicion of criminal damage ( a few took a piss on the front door of the Co Op and some bright spark thought it funny to kick a window in) and missed my train home to Blackburn with the crew. Got the last train back and spent the next few weeks shitting myself every time I saw a policeman or police car, thinking they were coming to lock me up (for something I'd not even done!).

Ah well. The challenges of Yoof. 

I've been to Sheffield many times since (have friends who live there) and never had any problem getting moosheh pays eith fish and chips. A great city (most trees and parks of any city in the UK, super transport system and a great city centre) but still the place of one of my worst ever food nightmares. 

"MOOSHEH PAYS??" She shrieked. Scarred for life I was!

First time i went to Barsnley late 80's - can't even remember the score i think it was a 0-0 night game - we stopped at a chippy on the way out of town. I asked for a bag of chips (remember them ?) the reply was 'yes love and do you want mint sauce on ?'  i genuinely thought she'd sussed the accent and was taking the pee, especially as we'd spent parts of the previous few hours chanting various sheep related ditties to our Yorkshire cousins.

But no, salt, vinegar and mint sauce bottles were on the counter, still one of the oddest food dilemmas iv'e had at football.