BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Id agree that it's hard to properly judge Broughton,due to everything that has gone on behind the scenes and budgets changing etc and there has been some dross brought in 

But it must not be forgotten as DOF transfers ain't his only remit, it's the whole footballing side.And at least the contract situation looks to be sorted, it wasnt happening before he arrived.

On people critical of his lack of experience, there isn't a DOF university, a lot of dofs come from a recruitment or youth background.

Webber before he became DOF at Huddersfield was head of scouting at Wolves pre that job, Wilcox had only worked in youth football at Manchester City before being appointed as Southampton dof, you have examples of ex players being brought in as dofs.

In all fairness I'm not entirely sold on Broughton myself if he would do any better if he didn't have these restrictions but iv no idea why people are labelling him a Venky stooge or blaming him for the lack of money being spent ,or the lack of experience being brought in it does Broughton absolutely no favours to do poorly here or to be made look an absolute fool like  with the O'Brien situation last January. 

As far as I was aware rovers interviewed for the position, and according to Nixon last summer and If I'm remembering correctly a few others saying it , someone else had accepted the position but changed their mind and Broughton was the next choice.

He has all the qualifications, and done all the badges too, he has worked at a few places and each time it has been to a better position and moved abroad to work the guy is clearly ambitious himself.

If goalscoring number 9s that could hit the ground running immediately could be bought for £500k then the whole championship would be buying them.I know iv said it a few times so sorry for being repetitive but there are hardly any goalscoring centre forwards in the championship 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Moving forward if we are just signing kids on loan and free transfers do we actually need a director of football or can we save a wage here.

Well if we are still bringing them in of agency books who already have players here there isn't much point having a recruitment dept either !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Based on the fact that the owners won't permit older signings as shown by them allowing Hill after stopping Batth, that isn't his doing.

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Can I ask, why is it you think it's Broughtons decision to ignore experience and go for kids?

This summer after last season ended Broughton specifically said experience was required and he would be looking to bring it in.

When there was money about , Hyam ,Szmodic and Brittain where all signed all with championship experience and no way near being kids.

Even this summer before budget cuts Tronstad and Sigurrdson cant be described as kids.

Leo looks a shit signing considering what we spent on him ,better could have been bought.

His failure to bring in a goalscoring striker personally I don't put too much blame onto him for that as he has no budget for 1, and there are hardly any goalscoring centre forwards in the championship, and the ones that are in it we don't have the budget to sign 

Take the point x 2, but it’s not as simplistic as “it’s all we can do” in my opinion.

In any case, he is the one signing them, so what I stated is factually correct.

4 hours ago, martonrover said:

Yes, someone who would happily work under Broughton and accept his teenage signings.

That narrows it down significantly.

Broughton wanted Batth to sign last summer, Owners said no to the contract cos of the length of contract. I guess he wanted striker with a better goal scoring record and experience but they cost more money than we afford at the minute. 

But that's the market we can shop in cos how we develop players like Tosin, Elliott plus our own younger players. Experience players cost money we don't have. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Broughton wanted Batth to sign last summer, Owners said no to the contract cos of the length of contract. I guess he wanted striker with a better goal scoring record and experience but they cost more money than we afford at the minute. 

But that's the market we can shop in cos how we develop players like Tosin, Elliott plus our own younger players. Experience players cost money we don't have. 

Again, too simplistic but, yes, the owners are the chief culprits and, yes, I know about the tax situation etc, but they will always find a way of cocking it up. 

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Again, too simplistic but, yes, the owners are the chief culprits and, yes, I know about the tax situation etc, but they will always find a way of cocking it up. 

Too simplistic? 

GB and JDT wanted experience players like Batth but owners didn't want to give long contracts to players over a certain age. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Too simplistic? 

GB and JDT wanted experience players like Batth but owners didn't want to give long contracts to players over a certain age. 

For the sake of everyone's mental health, I'm not labouring another argument with you.

The bottom line is the club is in trouble and being poorly run.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So it's OK developing and paying for elliot and tosin over our own lads?

52 minutes ago, ABBEY said:

So it's OK developing and paying for elliot and tosin over our own lads?

But it's the same when we loan players to league 1 or 2 for playing time and development like Carter to Portsmouth or Scott Wharton. 

Loans are part of football transfers. 

We had some brilliant loans over the years. We had 2 good loan players this season 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Not sure weve had 2 good loans this season. Moran has been underwhelming overall, many more anonymous games compared to his effective ones, and regularly played out of position. Perhaps evidence that we sign (well, borrow) who we can rather than what we need.

Hill often also played out of position and only stayed for half a season. He impressed at times but ultimately was part of a defence that has been the worst in the league and we needed experience and got a young lad.

Weve got 2 more now, neither of whom are likely to be regulars. Ayari seems to be a natural number 10 who contrary to what has been said and assuming an experienced midfielder doesnt come in, is taking our captains position potentially leaving us weaker.

• Like 1

“We shouldn’t forget that Leo Wahlstedt has a lot of potential and he’s probably played more than he thought he would, but that was the situation. He’s got a lot of good experience for the future.

“You always need competition in each position. We know that Leo came from a lower level and hadn’t played at a high level for some years, but the club saw a high potential for the future."

Does he actually have any bloody say in transfer policy?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, broadsword said:

“We shouldn’t forget that Leo Wahlstedt has a lot of potential and he’s probably played more than he thought he would, but that was the situation. He’s got a lot of good experience for the future.

“You always need competition in each position. We know that Leo came from a lower level and hadn’t played at a high level for some years, but the club saw a high potential for the future."

Does he actually have any bloody say in transfer policy?

That reads like JDT's subtle way of saying "he's not my signing, guys".

Questions need to be put to the Academy man.

• Like 3

I don’t think he has much input into signings and I got a real sense of frustration on his behalf when reading his comments on transfers up until now. In his latest interview he won’t discuss transfers which indicates to me that he has been told to toe the line. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24061770.truth-behind-jutkiewicz-links-tomasson-stays-tight-lipped/

He seems pissed off (again) in this interview and I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t in charge at the end of the season for one reason or another. 

• Like 2

One good thing about the man, he really is a straight dealer. Very honest. I to think he'll go, no decent manager would put up with shit like this for very long.

What an absolute clown shop shit show our club had become.

Diabolical.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

I don’t think he has much input into signings and I got a real sense of frustration on his behalf when reading his comments on transfers up until now. In his latest interview he won’t discuss transfers which indicates to me that he has been told to toe the line. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24061770.truth-behind-jutkiewicz-links-tomasson-stays-tight-lipped/

He seems pissed off (again) in this interview and I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t in charge at the end of the season for one reason or another. 

He is definitely seriously pissed off. 
We badly need a win tomorrow, because something will give quite soon.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, broadsword said:

One good thing about the man, he really is a straight dealer. Very honest. I to think he'll go, no decent manager would put up with shit like this for very long.

What an absolute clown shop shit show our club had become.

Diabolical.

100%

He's definitely the best manager we’ve had under the Venkys and I hope we don’t lose him for non-football reasons. Results need to improve but I don’t lay much blame with him. Nobody else could succeed at our club with players not being replaced and no investment. 

• Like 1