BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Face to face result says so.

We shall see - one result against a very tired team. But it was a day we struggled on so maybe their style is one that causes us the most problems. WBA caused us all kinds of problems as well. In the end they will finish above us if they are the better side.

7 hours ago, booth said:

They've had more injury woes than you and watching the two teams SU play the better football.

Not sure on the injuries, we’ve had plenty, we just don’t go on about them. As for ‘the better football’, that is just subjective and unsurprisingly I don’t agree. But again in another 23 games the best team in the league will be top and no guarantee it will be us or Sheffield United

8 hours ago, booth said:

Don't think of it as some kind of popularity contest because I hope both teamsfall off a cliff, truth be told

😂

21 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Lol - aye ok, we’ve had three first team players missing all season.

BBC 5 Live were reporting that the absence of Tella yesterday was 'unexplained' and reading between the lines they are expecting Southampton to recall him. Have you heard anything?

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

BBC 5 Live were reporting that the absence of Tella yesterday was 'unexplained' and reading between the lines they are expecting Southampton to recall him. Have you heard anything?

The manager said he had been unwell but there has been a lot of talk about him getting recalled since Jones went to Southampton so it wouldn’t surprise me. Was the manager getting ready for life without him? I hope not, he’s such a good watch and has been really important for us. But I haven’t heard anything directly- then again I rarely do.

January is always a tricky time, clubs come in for your players, loans get recalled etc. As a fan all you can hope is to come out of the window stronger - or at least no weaker - than you went into it. I’ll just be glad when the window shuts.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Lol - aye ok, we’ve had three first team players missing all season.

If they've been missing all season, can they really be described as first team players? Certainly good enough I'm sure but if you haven't played them you can't have missed them. Like say, us losing 3 defenders for over a month, losing Gallagher several times who despite his shortcomings, his inclusion usually coincides with a win. Pickering our LB was out for several games. Brittain, the RB has now been out for two games so we're playing with a makeshift full back on the other side now. And that's just the half of it.

We had Bradley Dack out for years with two ACL's, we didn't go... "oh we've got a first team player out." And he was our best player.

Out of interest, if you lost 3 defenders, plus Benson, then other key players out for two games here, three games there, how would do you think you'd get on?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, booth said:

If they've been missing all season, can they really be described as first team players? 

Ashley Westwood played 150 games plus in the Premier League for us and was first pick until his horror injury.

Scott Twine and Darko Churlinov were two of our three most expensive summer signings.

So yes. Yes you can.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

There’s an argument that with Twine and Churlinov now fit, Zaroury back from the World Cup and Benson absolutely flying that Tella doesn’t even get in the team.

Him and Johannes Berg Gudmundsson, the Icelandic international.

Scary depth.

32 minutes ago, booth said:

Out of interest, if you lost 3 defenders, plus Benson, then other key players out for two games here, three games there, how would do you think you'd get on?

Right back

Vitinho, Connor Roberts, Matt Lowton, CJ Egan Riley (£400k from City, England youth international)

Left back

Ian Maatsen, Charlie Taylor, Vitinho, CJ Egan Riley

Centre back

Harwood-Bellis, Beyer, Kevin Long (Irish international), Luke McNally (£2 million signing this summer), Charlie Taylor

I think we’d be ok.

26 minutes ago, DavidBrent said:

Right back

Vitinho, Connor Roberts, Matt Lowton, CJ Egan Riley (£400k from City, England youth international)

Left back

Ian Maatsen, Charlie Taylor, Vitinho, CJ Egan Riley

Centre back

Harwood-Bellis, Beyer, Kevin Long (Irish international), Luke McNally (£2 million signing this summer), Charlie Taylor

I think we’d be ok.

Looking forward to it.

33 minutes ago, booth said:

We have had players out for a couple of games here and there. You mentioned Benson - he doesn’t start most games, he’s an impact sun mainly. 

Here’s the thing, if we are only top because other teams have been unlucky with injuries then a procession of teams will be overtaking us very soon - & fair play to them. I believe over a season you earn where you finish, top, middle or bottom. At ‘halftime’ in the league we are just on top. We now need to repeat that for another 23 games - though of course if we do I’m sure it will just be by being lucky, and anyway we aren’t as good as Fulham were the season before 😉

Huddersfield look doom at the minute with them being bottom of the league, no money for signings in January even loans according to their head coach Fotheringham, Hoyle looking to sell the club. Its seems such a mess of the club over the past few years apart from last season. Since the head coach left and 2 key players left this summer there has been lack of investment in the squad and probably why Corberan left the club. 

19 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

We have had players out for a couple of games here and there. You mentioned Benson - he doesn’t start most games, he’s an impact sun mainly. 

Here’s the thing, if we are only top because other teams have been unlucky with injuries then a procession of teams will be overtaking us very soon - & fair play to them. I believe over a season you earn where you finish, top, middle or bottom. At ‘halftime’ in the league we are just on top. We now need to repeat that for another 23 games - though of course if we do I’m sure it will just be by being lucky, and anyway we aren’t as good as Fulham were the season before 😉

The reason I ask is that we're an extremely bi-polar team with a very thin unbalanced squad, thanks to mad old Tony, but we're third, with a very chequered injury list up to now. We seem to average an injury per game, sometimes two! Which again I think is fallout from Mowbray's time here, it can't all be bad luck.

When we played you and Preston we were at our strongest (work that out!?) with few out, I think the big miss there was Tomasson's head. However there have been games this season where we've been so threadbare at the back and lost, we would definitely have picked up a few more points. The injuries combined with JDT imposing a new "style" has cost us points - but to put it bluntly, we've been shit and we're only two points from an automatic promotion spot.

Bizarrely, I believe we'd be above Sheffield United right now if we'd been able to keep a more stable team with defenders fit and Gallagher. But watching them on my telly, Sheffield United still look a better team than us and I expect them to finish first.

I don't believe it's just because other teams have been unlucky with injuries, but that's a factor for sure.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, booth said:

The reason I ask is that we're an extremely bi-polar team with a very thin unbalanced squad, thanks to mad old Tony, but we're third, with a very chequered injury list up to now. We seem to average an injury per game, sometimes two! Which again I think is fallout from Mowbray's time here, it can't all be bad luck.

When we played you and Preston we were at our strongest (work that out!?) with few out, I think the big miss there was Tomasson's head. However there have been games this season where we've been so threadbare at the back and lost, we would definitely have picked up a few more points. The injuries combined with JDT imposing a new "style" has cost us points - but to put it bluntly, we've been shit and we're only two points from an automatic promotion spot.

Bizarrely, I believe we'd be above Sheffield United right now if we'd been able to keep a more stable team with defenders fit and Gallagher. But watching them on my telly, Sheffield United still look a better team than us and I expect them to finish first.

I don't believe it's just because other teams have been unlucky with injuries, but that's a factor for sure.

You could say we’ve been lucky for injuries (we haven’t).

But surely you need to factor in that this Burnley team is basically a  new team? The strongest XI has 7 or 8 new signings in it and has had to adapt to a new manager; a new style of play and in some cases an entirely new country.

Despite all that we’re top half way through. I hoped we’d be around the play-offs and pick up consistency in the second half of the season.

If we get better (and scoring 3 goals in 5 of our last 6 games suggests we are) then I fully expect us to run away with it in the second half of the season.

If Blackburn get within 30 points of us I think you’ll have done well.

2 minutes ago, DavidBrent said:

You could say we’ve been lucky for injuries (we haven’t).

But surely you need to factor in that this Burnley team is basically a  new team? The strongest XI has 7 or 8 new signings in it and has had to adapt to a new manager; a new style of play and in some cases an entirely new country.

Despite all that we’re top half way through. I hoped we’d be around the play-offs and pick up consistency in the second half of the season.

If we get better (and scoring 3 goals in 5 of our last 6 games suggests we are) then I fully expect us to run away with it in the second half of the season.

If Blackburn get within 30 points of us I think you’ll have done well.

Oh, there's no doubt. You won auto promotion in November.

We've been shit pretty much, so with two points off second place, if we get better it should end nicely.

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

There’s already somebody on here with that username, no wonder Chaddy’s confused… looked like a Vinjay-esque conversion!

Apparent he’s also a boycotting ST holder as well. I wasn’t aware Burnley had any, especially someone it seems so committed.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Apparent he’s also a boycotting ST holder as well. I wasn’t aware Burnley had any, especially someone it seems so committed.

Maybe he can see into the future when Alan Pace gets them back up, pockets all the money and turns Turf Moor into a big khazi, then realises it was a pointless endeavor because that's exactly what it was in the first place.

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well who would you appoint at Norwich and Blackpool since you would make changes at both? 

I would go for Scott Parker for Norwich job. Blackpool I would for Dean Holden or Leam Richardson

Not a clue. I can judge whether I think a manager should be sacked without a list of potential replacements. I dont get why Richardson would walk into another Championship job.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not a clue. I can judge whether I think a manager should be sacked without a list of potential replacements. I dont get why Richardson would walk into another Championship job.

I was just interesting to see who you would appoint but you avoided the question. No surprised to me. 

Richardson did a very good job at Wigan given the financial circumstances there and I still think his sacking was very harsh for me. 

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was just interesting to see who you would appoint but you avoided the question. No surprised to me. 

Richardson did a very good job at Wigan given the financial circumstances there and I still think his sacking was very harsh for me. 

Because I don't know. Doesn't in any way reduce the validity of my opinion that Smith and in particular Appleton would be very lucky to merit continuing with their jobs.

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Because I don't know.

Fair enough

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Doesn't in any way reduce the validity of my opinion that Smith and in particular Appleton would be very lucky to merit continuing with their jobs.

I never said it did reduce your validity of your opinion did I? 

I stand by it would be crazy to sack Smith when Norwich was 5th. On Appleton, I think what Blackpool need is signings and stand by their head coach Appleton.