BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

Might be worth a few quid on West Brom going up before their odds tumble.

Battering Mowbray's Sunderland at the minute and Rogic, Swift and Wallace look a class above. Now they have rid of the dinosaur Bruce and have shrewd Corberan at the helm they could well get some momentum and get on a roll.

They've also got the big blunt instrument Dike up front and he is proven at this level. If he stays fit he could easily get 20 in the remainder of the season.

• Like 3

On 16/08/2022 at 21:49, Sweaty Gussets said:

Early days but...

Can't see there being a Fulham this year.

Luton have had a bad start considering how well they did last year. 

Watford, West Brom and Norwich not exactly pulling up any trees. 

Burnley just an average Championship team again. 

On 16/08/2022 at 23:45, BRFC4EVA said:

A bit early for all of this but still, reasonable set of results tonight. 

What is clear is that this is the weakest champ for a long while. Although it may change, Norwich and Burnley don't have the look of a fulham/bournemouth.

Could build a nice little buffer with beating Reading!

On 05/10/2022 at 22:00, Butty said:

Last season Fulham were a class above but this season there’s literally not one stand-out side. League full of bang average sides as the gulf between the Champ and the Prem just continues to grow. It’s anyone’s this season, we can get in that top six IF we add another 2/3 in Jan. 

On 05/10/2022 at 22:05, Darrenbot said:

The results of the last 2 nights show this league is anybody's,there's not 1 outstanding team this year,it's a league of average sides.

Just been looking at these claims - not sure they stack up that well so far:

Last season after 22 games:

image.png.8096a875ea0eea0345f6b20af100e077.png

This season after 22 games:

image.thumb.png.d0be0467542be29851733f21e1fb0496.png

In terms of points, the current top 6 is within a point of last season - though I doubt anyone will be getting near Fulhams goals tally.

39 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

In terms of points, the current top 6 is within a point of last season - though I doubt anyone will be getting near Fulhams goals tally.

I think Fulham's perceived superiority was skewed by the fact they absolutely tubbed a few teams - they hit 3 different teams for 7.

Plus, they were promoted really early. They got to 90 points (less than I thought actually), but turns out they lost 4 f their last 7 and 5 of their last 10. 

Whilst it didn't appear to be the case, it looks like Burnley will end up doing similar to Fulham and will run away with it. Things were a bit unconvincing at times for you, with a few dodgy draws and question marks over cutting edge and putting teams to the sword, but Burnley have quietly put together a real consistency and are now starting to comfortably win games. And those tight, late wins over Rotherham and Reading are the hallmarks of champions, despite protestations over a few refereeing decisions if I remember rightly.

The league doesn't feel too strong this year, but I'd say Burnley are comfortably the strongest side. Although the game vs us didn't really tell us much, as we've made lots of teams look that good this season (sadly)

Edited by smiller14

5 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

You've bought the league at the halfway stage. Plenty of time yet for your collective arse to squeak...

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You've bought the league at the halfway stage. Plenty of time yet for your collective arse to squeak...

Oh absolutely. Not even enough points yet to guarantee safety.

That said the 12/1 for us to be champions I got before the season kicked off seems like a shrewd bet right now, can’t get other than odds on at the minute on it. 

17 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Maybe wishful thinking from a Rovers fan, but I think with the last decade we've had our fair share of death spirals, injury lists and managerial tactical suicide dives to know how it can all go wrong.

6 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Well one thing I did say at the start of the season is your lot would do well, only thing I’ve got right it seems, wish it wasn’t 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Oh absolutely. Not even enough points yet to guarantee safety.

That said the 12/1 for us to be champions I got before the season kicked off seems like a shrewd bet right now, can’t get other than odds on at the minute on it. 

You have to hope its too early for Kompany to take the Belgium job.Has he said anything about the interest in him taking it if asked?

9 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

You have to hope its too early for Kompany to take the Belgium job.Has he said anything about the interest in him taking it if asked?

As ever it is only the papers suggesting Belgium are interested in him. When he was coming to us he said nothing publically - and as far as I know he hasn’t been asked about it.

We are hoping it is too early for him but we shall see.

12 hours ago, booth said:

Maybe wishful thinking from a Rovers fan, but I think with the last decade we've had our fair share of death spirals, injury lists and managerial tactical suicide dives to know how it can all go wrong.

All our managers have been shit and the club has been completely gutted of anyone who has the slightest clue about how to run things properly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

As ever it is only the papers suggesting Belgium are interested in him. When he was coming to us he said nothing publically - and as far as I know he hasn’t been asked about it.

We are hoping it is too early for him but we shall see.

I think it’s too early and I would have thought he’ll see it that way also. Belgium could be “ in between teams “ at the moment and it might be a good time to let somebody else have a go first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

All our managers have been shit and the club has been completely gutted of anyone who has the slightest clue about how to run things properly. 

That's true but that doesn't stop me hoping that Alan Pace brings more misery to Burnley. He's doing a great job of distracting their fans from his failings but it could easily all go wrong.

He's got a long way to match Venkys and co but let's not forget he's a rich fella spending the clubs own money at the moment and praying it doesn't run out. If Burnley don't get promoted I suspect they'll go the same way as us with the exception that the taps will be completely turned off.

1 hour ago, booth said:

That's true but that doesn't stop me hoping that Alan Pace brings more misery to Burnley. He's doing a great job of distracting their fans from his failings but it could easily all go wrong.

He's got a long way to match Venkys and co but let's not forget he's a rich fella spending the clubs own money at the moment and praying it doesn't run out. If Burnley don't get promoted I suspect they'll go the same way as us with the exception that the taps will be completely turned off.

Only time will tell. Right now it seems on and off the pitch we are in a better place than you. I don't disagree that won't last without PL football at the very least on a yo-yo. He doesn't have Venky's level money to keep us going that is for sure. It has been said publically however that promotion next season was the target so I presume we have enough for now. 

4 hours ago, booth said:

Chances are they will be promoted. They did everything right when they came down.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Chances are they will be promoted. They did everything right when they came down.

It's still a very risky way to run a small club. He hasn't the personal wealth to finance the club. Like I said his current success is masking the clubs recent failures but it'll get to the point where there's no room for error.

I'd say Rovers are the complete opposite. Badly ran, owners have lots of personal wealth, and with it lots of room for error. And f**k me do we keep making them.

22 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Only time will tell. Right now it seems on and off the pitch we are in a better place than you. I don't disagree that won't last without PL football at the very least on a yo-yo. He doesn't have Venky's level money to keep us going that is for sure. It has been said publically however that promotion next season was the target so I presume we have enough for now. 

That's what I meant, it won't last without continual success (or "failure" of parachute payments).

I think you'll get promoted and enjoy a few more years of success if I'm honest, but I can't see it being sustainable. If I were batting for your team, I'd be overjoyed with present success but in the back of my mind I'd be wondering who pays the bills if things go South with a dodgy managerial appointment or suchlike.

Where you're lucky is I don't think he's completely changed the club and Burnley have been well ran/pragmatic for a while now, with people who actually care about the club. Our executive team run the club like a soulless production line, mass producing tins of failure year after year, which get ever more expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, booth said:

It's still a very risky way to run a small club. He hasn't the personal wealth to finance the club. Like I said his current success is masking the clubs recent failures but it'll get to the point where there's no room for error.

I'd say Rovers are the complete opposite. Badly ran, owners have lots of personal wealth, and with it lots of room for error. And f**k me do we keep making them.

And which one would you rather be right now?