BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

• Backroom

I think something else must have gone on at Wigan for him to be sacked just three weeks after signing a new contract. Makes very little sense otherwise, unless one assumes the owners are complete idiots. Which tbf may be the case, I don't know enough about them to say one way or another.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would Wigan keep Richardson out of "loyalty?" They should be deciding purely on the best man for the job and Wigan have lost so much so a change is understandable, why they gave him a new deal prior is the strange bit.

I would suggest you look at last season and the total and utter mess that Wigan went they were in administration for months and he steer that ship to make sure they stay in 2020-21 season then he got them promotion last season and this season despite them being 23rd he deserved more time in that seat. Also, they have bigger problems like paying wages on time which they failed to pay on time 3 times so far. 

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would suggest you look at last season and the total and utter mess that Wigan went they were in administration for months and he steer that ship to make sure they stay in 2020-21 season then he got them promotion last season and this season despite them being 23rd he deserved more time in that seat. Also, they have bigger problems like paying wages on time which they failed to pay on time 3 times so far. 

None of that means that he shouldn't be sacked if he is deemed not to be the best bet to keep them up, and they are doing poorly.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:20, chaddyrovers said:

utter madness from Wigan and why give him a new contract 3 weeks ago only to sack him now. 

No Loyalty from Wigan to the person who rebuilt that club which they were league 1 and in administration last season. 

Will be interesting to see who Luton and Wigan appoint now. 

I also wouldn't be surprise if 2 or 3 more clubs change the manager/head coach during this 5 week break after this weekend fixtures  

Madness would be sticking with a bloke clearly floundering in the name of 'loyalty' and watching their Championship status go up in smoke because of it.

We've done it twice with Kean and Coyle and both times suffered relegation when a change made more quickly might well have saved us untold trouble and millions of pounds.

You're right - there's no loyalty from Wigan - but Richardson gets a  nice big pay off having established himself as a manager whilst they were in a mess when he would never have got the same elsewhere.

No loyalty works both ways - you think he'd have stayed loyal to Wigan if like Jones a PL club had come in for him? No - he'd have done what was best for his career just like Jones has and so Wigan have to do what is best for their league status.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Madness would be sticking with a bloke clearly floundering in the name of 'loyalty' and watching their Championship status go up in smoke because of it.

We've done it twice with Kean and Coyle and both times suffered relegation when a change made more quickly might well have saved us untold trouble and millions of pounds.

You're right - there's no loyalty from Wigan - but Richardson gets a  nice big pay off having established himself as a manager whilst they were in a mess when he would never have got the same elsewhere.

No loyalty works both ways - you think he'd have stayed loyal to Wigan if like Jones a PL club had come in for him? No - he'd have done what was best for his career just like Jones has and so Wigan have to do what is best for their league status.

Agree with all this but how do you go from new contract to the sack in three weeks? That's the baffling part for me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

None of that means that he shouldn't be sacked if he is deemed not to be the best bet to keep them up, and they are doing poorly.

I do see them making a better appointment than Richardson. Duncan Ferguson is currently the odds-on favourite for the job. Wonder how Wigan fans think about that possible appointment. 

I do think Wigan should have stick by Richardson at this point. I do think that the points I before should have allowed more time in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I do think Wigan are floundering at all. Wigan are a bottom 6 squad. 

There is no loyalty in Football apart from their Supporters supporting their club through thick and thin. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I do see them making a better appointment than Richardson. Duncan Ferguson is currently the odds-on favourite for the job. Wonder how Wigan fans think about that possible appointment. 

I do think Wigan should have stick by Richardson at this point. I do think that the points I before should have allowed more time in my opinion. 

I do think Wigan are floundering at all. Wigan are a bottom 6 squad. 

There is no loyalty in Football apart from their Supporters supporting their club through thick and thin. 

Come on chaddy, you can't be this naive. Loyalty doesn't and shouldn't come into it, decisions should be made based on doing the best for the club from a footballing perspective. Flip it round, would Richardson have turned down the Man City job had he been in employment at Wigan out of loyalty?

They clearly are floundering, they have 1 point from their last 7 games and are 2nd bottom, yes they have a limited squad but it isn't hard to see why the club has decided to try and change things, the only curiosity is giving him a new deal.

Ferguson would be a shit appointment though, although at one point during the summer when rumours wrongly had him assumed as the next Rovers manager, you were supportive of the idea. Surely you as a result think he would be a good appointment for Wigan too?

• Moderation Lead

If Richardson is doing terribly and Wigan are struggling, they’ve every right to sack him, to be fair. Their own fault for making such a poor judgment call in giving him a big contract long ago. That will hit them in the pocket either way…..

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Watford are due one.

Nothing surprises with that club anyone. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Come on chaddy, you can't be this naive. Loyalty doesn't and shouldn't come into it, decisions should be made based on doing the best for the club from a footballing perspective. Flip it round, would Richardson have turned down the Man City job had he been in employment at Wigan out of loyalty?

They clearly are floundering, they have 1 point from their last 7 games and are 2nd bottom, yes they have a limited squad but it isn't hard to see why the club has decided to try and change things, the only curiosity is giving him a new deal.

Ferguson would be a shit appointment though, although at one point during the summer when rumours wrongly had him assumed as the next Rovers manager, you were supportive of the idea. Surely you as a result think he would be a good appointment for Wigan too?

It's not naive but it's an opinion which you disagree with. Stop with this Naive BS cos its boring now. 

I have outlined the reasons why I would keep him, and I think it's bizarre decision to sacked him plus they only gave him a new contract 3 weeks ago and the fact they have bigger financial problems like paying their staff on time. 

On Ferguson, I was willing to give him a chance here if he was appointed here. I don't know what he would be like as number 1 and the man making the decisions. 

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nothing surprises with that club anyone. 

It's not naive but it's an opinion which you disagree with. Stop with this Naive BS cos its boring now. 

I have outlined the reasons why I would keep him, and I think it's bizarre decision to sacked him plus they only gave him a new contract 3 weeks ago and the fact they have bigger financial problems like paying their staff on time. 

On Ferguson, I was willing to give him a chance here if he was appointed here. I don't know what he would be like as number 1 and the man making the decisions. 

The wages issue is reportedly a banking issue whereby the payments are always made but a day or two late. Now I would be skeptical of that and either way it isn't acceptable, but still.

That bein said, does that mean that they can not expect a better manager than one that has them sat 23rd after 1 point from 7 games?

Your initial complaint was that not enough "loyalty" was shown though, why would that come into the decision? Mowbray would still be here if we decided to be "loyal" to him rather than looking for an upgrade.

As I said, turn it round and if Richardson had a better paid job waiting at a higher level, he would not have given it a second thought.

49 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

hopefully birmingham who are in fine form will take sunderland down tonight and their fickle fans will turn on tony😁

Hopefully the complete opposite. 

A nice win for Sunderland to keep the wolves from Tony's door, please. As long as he's in charge they're irrelevant in the division. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The wages issue is reportedly a banking issue whereby the payments are always made but a day or two late. Now I would be skeptical of that and either way it isn't acceptable, but still.

That bein said, does that mean that they can not expect a better manager than one that has them sat 23rd after 1 point from 7 games?

Maybe the late payment issue one of the main problems with the playing squad worrying over this issue and being able to pay their bills. 

It will be interesting to see if they appoint a better manager and I will ask you what your opinion is of their next managerial appointment 

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Your initial complaint was that not enough "loyalty" was shown though, why would that come into the decision? Mowbray would still be here if we decided to be "loyal" to him rather than looking for an upgrade.

Rovers were loyal to Mowbray over the years, maybe looking back now far too loyal. 

I have already explained twice to you twice why Wigan should have shown loyalty to him. So maybe just accept my opinion even if you disagree with. 

8 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Norwich look like they will lose at home to Boro.  They'll be sick as canaries tonight

Didn't take Carrick long to turn things round at Boro,after 10 points in the last 4 games they're in 14th yet are only 4 points off the playoffs now which shows how crazy this league is.