BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

• Backroom

Canada look good. They'll be gutted if they lose this one. They've had plenty of chances but can't finish. You've got to take the chances they've created for themselves at this level against teams like Belgium. 

Speaking of Belgium, another team that look like a shadow of their usual selves so far. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Spain look very good, albeit against a woeful Costa Rica side. That midfield 3 are the best in the tournament.

Rather have mount/foden, Bellingham and rice. Far more variation.  Iran are a far better team than Costa Rica.  I know u will say why do I always have to bring England into it. But its just hypocrisy when England thrash a team its because the opposition are bad yet when a Spain or France do it its because they're brilliant.  Not talking about u just in general 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silas said:

So frustrating this Canada team in the final third.

They're going to be kicking themselves if they end up with nothing from this game. 

It's paining me as a neutral. 

They absolutely deserve something. All about that end product though and they really seem to lack it. I'm astonished by how good they are in general play, another former whipping boys side who have turned into a decent outfit (unless this is a fluke).

Jeez he should have scored that header but got it miles off.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Rather have mount/foden, Bellingham and rice. Far more variation.  Iran are a far better team than Costa Rica.  I know u will say why do I always have to bring England into it. But its just hypocrisy when England thrash a team its because the opposition are bad yet when a Spain or France do it its because they're brilliant.  Not talking about u just in general 

Yea I was saying this earlier at work. Boils my piss to be honest and there was a lot of evidence of it on here on Monday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

As you touch on, it is the relentless obsession with turning every single discussion into England based discussion that frustrates. There are 32 teams and so many different sub plots to the tournament, including Saudi Arabia and to a lesser extent Japan pulling off shocks. I have been watching the games on their individual merits, not comparing everyone to England.

Pedri, Busquets and Gavi are for me the best trio in the competition, that doesn't mean that I think that Spain are the best side in it because I have question marks over both their defence and surprisingly after today, their cutting edge. But that was a standalone comment that didn't require another England debate.

For what it is worth, I think Bellingham is an excellent talent, Foden is our best player aside from Kane, Rice is a very good albeit not elite holding midfielder and Mount is a decent enough player to have around. 

And is it is, Iran aren't very good, the majority of their players do not play at a good standard. Costa Rica are poor too, as are Australia, comparing between 3 poor teams (all of whom have been referred to as such) is bordering on pointless.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As you touch on, it is the relentless obsession with turning every single discussion into England based discussion that frustrates. There are 32 teams and so many different sub plots to the tournament, including Saudi Arabia and to a lesser extent Japan pulling off shocks. I have been watching the games on their individual merits, not comparing everyone to England.

Pedri, Busquets and Gavi are for me the best trio in the competition, that doesn't mean that I think that Spain are the best side in it because I have question marks over both their defence and surprisingly after today, their cutting edge. But that was a standalone comment that didn't require another England debate.

For what it is worth, I think Bellingham is an excellent talent, Foden is our best player aside from Kane, Rice is a very good albeit not elite holding midfielder and Mount is a decent enough player to have around. 

And is it is, Iran aren't very good, the majority of their players do not play at a good standard. Costa Rica are poor too, as are Australia, comparing between 3 poor teams (all of whom have been referred to as such) is bordering on pointless.

Looking at the events back in Iran I wonder how much their hearts were in the game. They might be in Qatar but their families are still in Iran. Imagine the meltdown here if the team refused to join in with the national anthem. We’ll know more after their next two games.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looking at the events back in Iran I wonder how much their hearts were in the game. They might be in Qatar but their families are still in Iran. Imagine the meltdown here if the team refused to join in with the national anthem. We’ll know more after their next two games.

Their hearts were in those terrible tackles. I'm pretty sure they were giving everything 

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Only just seen that the Germans put their hands over their mouths before the game in protest at being forbidden from wearing rainbow armbands. FIFA had threatened them with sanctions if they wore it!

Personally I think that's fucking outrageous. Isn't football as a whole supposed to be making strides in support in this area? And now the world's governing body threaten sanctions for a simple gesture of support.

The way FIFA have not only crookedly given Qatar a WC but subsequently kowtowed to every archaic wish of the Qataris is an absolute blight on the sport. I get that this is a sovereign country with its own laws and customs, but they're incredibly lucky to be hosting a World Cup in the first place. It should very much have been about adapting their laws and customs temporarily, in limited spaces, for the global guests they're welcoming. It should never have been about the World Cup making a long list of concessions for it to be held in a country no fucker wanted it held in anyway. On top of which, it's just a bloody symbol, and it's hardly a swastika. It's not like the Germans or other nations wearing rainbow armbands was going to set off an avalanche of bumming in Qatar.

If Qatar weren't willing to make legally-binding commitments for the competition to be held in the manner it is accustomed to, with guests enjoying freedoms they're accustomed to, then they should have been told in absolutely no uncertain terms that the World Cup would be held elsewhere.

Of course, that was never going to happen because too much money was on the table for corrupt scrotes at FIFA HQ.

Fantastic that you agree with equal rights for gay people. I have a gay brother and I’m sure he’d be delighted to hear that there is so much support for “bumming” 🙄 Your penultimate paragraph is spot on though and there is no way that the WC should have gone to a country with such extreme views on cultural and moral customs that most of the west share. However, the WC is in a country that do not share our values. Morality is subjective and we have no right to tell anyone in another country how to live their lives or try to force our values on them, no matter how repulsive their values seem to us (the point being that they consider our stance on sexuality, freedom of religion, and personal liberty to be repulsive and we would be up in arms if Saudi or Qatari players tried to highlight the supposed moral degeneracy in a typical western democracy). That’s part of living in a country with liberal, progressive values. If we feel so strongly about it then don’t send a team, don’t watch the matches and don’t broadcast the footage. But equally, don’t go to those countries and expect them to bow down to our self-declared moral supremacy. 

5 hours ago, DE. said:

The worst thing is seeing the useful idiots parrot the "you have to respect their culture" mantra. No, I don't and won't respect a culture warped by misogyny and homophobia, thanks. Don't get me wrong, all countries have problems to varying degrees, but at least most are giving the impression of trying to improve rather than reveling in ignorance and bigotry. 

Ignorance is a nebulous word that can mean many things to many people. Some might say that a person who categorises an entire country and cultural group as “warped by misogyny and homophobia”, or categorises those who disagree with them as “useful idiots” is ignorant. Keep politics out of football I say, and the best way to change the world is to lead by example. Not to denigrate, cast aspersions, and demonise those who are different to us. I won’t visit countries like Qatar, Russia, or North Korea, simply because I know that my brother would be in fear of his life if he tried to live his normal day to day existence there and would not be welcome. It doesn’t mean that I think any less of the people or the culture that produced them. It’s not very long since a hero of this country was punished with chemical castration for the “crime” of being gay. That doesn’t invalidate our culture. In the 1950s the UK was full of wonderful people, many of our parents generation who might have produced many fantastic contributions to world culture. Would it have done any good to demonise those people? In time I would imagine that morality will change in the Middle East, and in 100 years perhaps the UK will be considered a backward part of the world, or our great grandchildren will look back on us with disgust. We’re all products of the society we live in but not always responsible for the policies or crimes of the ruling classes. 

• Like 7

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Fantastic that you agree with equal rights for gay people. I have a gay brother and I’m sure he’d be delighted to hear that there is so much support for “bumming” 🙄 Your penultimate paragraph is spot on though and there is no way that the WC should have gone to a country with such extreme views on cultural and moral customs that most of the west share. However, the WC is in a country that do not share our values. Morality is subjective and we have no right to tell anyone in another country how to live their lives or try to force our values on them, no matter how repulsive their values seem to us (the point being that they consider our stance on sexuality, freedom of religion, and personal liberty to be repulsive and we would be up in arms if Saudi or Qatari players tried to highlight the supposed moral degeneracy in a typical western democracy). That’s part of living in a country with liberal, progressive values. If we feel so strongly about it then don’t send a team, don’t watch the matches and don’t broadcast the footage. But equally, don’t go to those countries and expect them to bow down to our self-declared moral supremacy. 

Ignorance is a nebulous word that can mean many things to many people. Some might say that a person who categorises an entire country and cultural group as “warped by misogyny and homophobia”, or categorises those who disagree with them as “useful idiots” is ignorant. Keep politics out of football I say, and the best way to change the world is to lead by example. Not to denigrate, cast aspersions, and demonise those who are different to us. I won’t visit countries like Qatar, Russia, or North Korea, simply because I know that my brother would be in fear of his life if he tried to live his normal day to day existence there and would not be welcome. It doesn’t mean that I think any less of the people or the culture that produced them. It’s not very long since a hero of this country was punished with chemical castration for the “crime” of being gay. That doesn’t invalidate our culture. In the 1950s the UK was full of wonderful people, many of our parents generation who might have produced many fantastic contributions to world culture. Would it have done any good to demonise those people? In time I would imagine that morality will change in the Middle East, and in 100 years perhaps the UK will be considered a backward part of the world, or our great grandchildren will look back on us with disgust. We’re all products of the society we live in but not always responsible for the policies or crimes of the ruling classes. 

I'm comfortable in my stance and thoughts on the matter, but totally respect your view as well. 

Already 2 'welsh ' players mouthing off about England.  Moore and Thomas. If I was them I would concentrate on Iran rather than wanting to knock England out. I still remember the nobs celebrating England being knocked out in 2016. Ironically Thomas was pictured wearing an England shirt a few years ago and moore played for England c team. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than knocking those tossers out 

• Like 3