BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Unfair to judge them on the summer. They were playing catch-up. Most clubs have their targets sorted by spring. We didn't have a manager or DOF until June. 

No judgement from me yet, just a statement of facts that the signings brought in were poor and there's plenty to prove. Let's see how this window unfolds. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'll take the positives. They signed a better RB and better CB in 5 weeks than Mowbray managed to sign in 5 years. 

Not convinced Brittain is any better than Nyambe, and seems to be made of the same kind of glass. Jury's out for me on that one.

Hyam has indeed been an excellent signing, but balanced out somewhat by the sharp regression of Scott Wharton.

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

Not convinced Brittain is any better than Nyambe, and seems to be made of the same kind of glass. Jury's out for me on that one.

Hyam has indeed been an excellent signing, but balanced out somewhat by the sharp regression of Scott Wharton.

If I was a championship winger I’d rather be playing against Brittain than Nyambe.

• Like 6

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I was a championship winger I’d rather be playing against Brittain than Nyambe.

Maybe, but 14 games (4 of which I believe were only partial appearances) in our colours isn't enough for me to conclusively say Brittain is an upgrade. 0 goals or assists, so as of yet no better than Nyambe in that department either, although hopefully he'll have plenty more games to show he can contribute in that regard. It was one of Nyambe's biggest weaknesses. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Maybe, but 14 games (4 of which I believe were only partial appearances) in our colours isn't enough for me to conclusively say Brittain is an upgrade. 0 goals or assists, so as of yet no better than Nyambe in that department either, although hopefully he'll have plenty more games to show he can contribute in that regard. It was one of Nyambe's biggest weaknesses. 

Brittain’s better on the ball without a doubt but nobody gave Nyambe a chasing that I saw. Plenty of times his pace got the right side centre halves out of trouble as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DE. said:

I personally felt people were looking at Wharton through blue and white glasses last season, which is understandable. His form this season isn’t that different to last, let’s remember he was a constant in a team that was diabolical in the 2nd half of last season. He was gifting the ball to the opposition as much last season, even without the stupid incessant passing around at the back of this season. All that said, hope he turns it around and becomes the solid defender he’s shown himself to be at times 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Mowbray didn't sign Nyambe. 

Signed him to a new contract in 2019. Might be seen as a technicality, but still. If we're talking external transfers then okay... but other than Paul Caddis in our L1 season and Zeefuik on loan did Mowbray actually sign any RBs to compare Brittain to? genuinely can't think of one off the top of my head. I think there must have been and I'm just being forgetful.

2 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

I personally felt people were looking at Wharton through blue and white glasses last season, which is understandable. His form this season isn’t that different to last, let’s remember he was a constant in a team that was diabolical in the 2nd half of last season. He was gifting the ball to the opposition as much last season, even without the stupid incessant passing around at the back of this season. All that said, hope he turns it around and becomes the solid defender he’s shown himself to be at times 

Maybe, but I also think it's fair to say a lot of people are looking at things through JDT-tinted glasses at the moment as well, failing to criticise him for things that TM was criticised for, and instead putting more emphasis on the players being at fault. I get it, it's the hope that kills you and all that, but imo there's a bit of both going on.

• Like 2

Just watching Class of 92 about Salford. We were in for Brandon Thomas Asante in summer. Never knew that, he went to West Brom and has scored 5 in 16. Could have done with someone like him. Athletic striker 

went to WBA for 300k. Could have spent on him instead of wasting money on Hurst loan or maybe even Szmodics if we spent 1m+ for him 

Edited by Crozzy
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

Just watching Class of 92 about Salford. We were in for Brandon Thomas Asante in summer. Never knew that, he went to West Brom and has scored 5 in 16. Could have done with someone like him. Athletic striker 

went to WBA for 300k. Could have spent on him instead of wasting money on Hurst loan or maybe even Szmodics if we spent 1m+ for him 

don`t want to blame jdt and broughton to much for the summer incomings,they were late to the club and i think picked out the targets the mowbray regime identified,we should judge them at the end of this transfer window,though admittedly my patience is wearing a bit thin with the tactics

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Maybe, but I also think it's fair to say a lot of people are looking at things through JDT-tinted glasses at the moment as well, failing to criticise him for things that TM was criticised for, and instead putting more emphasis on the players being at fault. I get it, it's the hope that kills you and all that, but imo there's a bit of both going on.

Certainly not defending JDT too much. We’ve mostly won games by accident it feels. Guess there’s two ways of looking at it, either that’s a really good thing for a team who SHOULD improve more and more with new additions and time with a new system in general or the style of play just isn’t very good and we’ve been extremely fortunate to accrue the points we have now. I’m still not sure which side of that I go along with 

Edited by Theaxe15

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Depends if your manager requires you to defend or not - I probably wouldn't bother tracking Nyambe back, for example, but yes I'd struggle to get past him in attack. 

On 29/12/2022 at 18:41, Miller11 said:

Our manager, sorry, head coach, is literally saying that we aren’t aiming to get promoted. He’s dumbing down expectations at every opportunity. All talk of strategies, projects and journeys is complete nonsense. And our recruitment department need to pull their fingers out. Maybe use their eyes and brains instead of a spreadsheet.

Maybe that what JDT is saying public but what is he saying inside the dressing room that matters not what he says to media. 

Our recruitment department has been in place for a couple of months. Time to judge them is in 12 months not in crazy and mental January transfer window. 

Also you comments about the recruitment department just using spreadsheets to sign players is wrong and doesn't understand how Rovers scout and sign players. Rovers scout players live before signing them. I know this

On 29/12/2022 at 19:46, Mike E said:

No, we are not. We've won one in the last five.

We can all use stats like that who we can judge over a season and the league table 

6 hours ago, Crozzy said:

Brandon Thomas Asante is a good player and has shown that they are quality players in the lower leagues and clubs should be looking there 

Did anyone read the feature on the official site regarding the alleged brains behind the team, the scouting etc?

I'd suggest you don't if you want to remain positive for our transfer window.

I'm saying no more or I'll come across as a judgemental so and so.

But our future doesn't appear to be in very capable hands behind the scenes.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe that what JDT is saying public but what is he saying inside the dressing room that matters not what he says to media. 

Thought you always believed what managers said in public as only ‘cynical’ people read between the lines?

Or is that only when it fits your argument?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Did anyone read the feature on the official site regarding the alleged brains behind the team, the scouting etc?

I'd suggest you don't if you want to remain positive for our transfer window.

I'm saying no more or I'll come across as a judgemental so and so.

But our future doesn't appear to be in very capable hands behind the scenes.

This?
https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/december/19/the-team-behind-the-team-/

Whatever happened to the managers that could spot a player?

6 hours ago, Theaxe15 said:

Certainly not defending JDT too much. We’ve mostly won games by accident it feels. Guess there’s two ways of looking at it, either that’s a really good thing for a team who SHOULD improve more and more with new additions and time with a new system in general or the style of play just isn’t very good and we’ve been extremely fortunate to accrue the points we have now. I’m still not sure which side of that I go along with 

That’s the funniest comment I’ve ever seen on this board.