BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Gyokeres seems to have Premier League clubs sniffing around him, similar to Brereton Diaz. Could we realistically get him? I seriously doubt it.

We'll never know unless we ask. In reality how many end up at premier League clubs? They are always sniffing but that doesn't always mean a move will happen

JDT: "I know we’ve been linked with a lot of players, 80% are not true. I smile when I read it. We don’t have the finances like clubs around us, but I've said before, we should never waste a window, it’s an opportunity to become better and move in the right direction."

20% is a pretty good hit ratio! Wonder who is in the 20%? Based on the money factor, I'd wager Vetlesen isn't one.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

They are looking for over 10 million for Gyokeres and Premier League clubs interested no chance that will ever happen 

He'll go for around £3m plus add-ons.

Coventry's new owner has said they need to drastically reduce their wage bill by the end of Jan, but like what happened with us and Hyam. 

8 minutes ago, phili said:

Coventry's new owner has said they need to drastically reduce their wage bill by the end of Jan, but like what happened with us and Hyam. 

No chance he will go for a fee as low as £3 million.It will be £10 million + and that is if he does leave in this window 

4 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Ok, let's try this one more time! 

What I'm asking is what evidence is there that it will be different under this new manager/DOF when:

- Venkys, who call the shots, are still in charge.

- They - Venkys - have messed up constantly over 12 years through their rule. 

- We have had plenty of new managers and management structures (e.g. Paul Senior) and scouting nextworks (e.g. TMs European scouting network) which have all failed. 

- Waggot is still here.

- And in fact we were in a very similar position the previous year which we botched. 

why, given all this evidence, is it all good and rosey now? Because the manager and DoF are new? But we have had new structures and personel before, so that doesn't really wash. Are Venkys suddenly going to run the club differently? Unlikely after 12 years. 

There's no evidence that this year is going to go any differently. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see it. 

oh and before you say it optimistic outlook isn't evidence. In fact with Rovers it's often contrary to that! So it's a bit unfair to say people have no right to be worried given the last 12 years of issues. 

You are right about no evidence at the minute cos the transfer window hasn't finish yet or we haven't sign anyone. You need to wait until after the window and the summer before you want your evidence. 

The new recruitment team has been in place 3 months and already you want evidence before its even had a transfer window

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

They must be keeping a tight lid on transfer info' at Rovers, the media don't seem to be catching any genuine leaks at all.

The wait is frustrating for us fans, but at least it can allow us to secure deals without competition from the richer clubs around us. Ahmedhodzic being hijacked by Sheff U continues to haunt me... if the silence can prevent similar situations in the future, then so be it!

Other other hand, it's also possible that there is simply no movement on transfers, and therefore nothing to actually report on... let's hope this isn't the case!

I think its very good that Rovers are keeping everything tight lid on transfer info. Not great for us to discuss on here. 

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's played 18 times this season for Norwich - the Farke comment was, I assume, from years ago.

Personally I think it'd be a cracking signing if the price is right.

I agree there and I think Cantwell would be massive hit here if we can get him back to his best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

£2m is a lot of money on someone with personal and injury issues who has done nothing in a couple of years, at a club whose owners negligence has caused them to already live closer than necessarily towards FFP. 

what are his personal issues? 

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

JDT: "I know we’ve been linked with a lot of players, 80% are not true. I smile when I read it. We don’t have the finances like clubs around us, but I've said before, we should never waste a window, it’s an opportunity to become better and move in the right direction."

20% is a pretty good hit ratio! Wonder who is in the 20%? Based on the money factor, I'd wager Vetlesen isn't one.

Cantwell for me

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Reiterating the poverty line.

right thing to do. You don't tell everyone your budget in public. Downplayed the budget is right. Keep prices low for us. agents don't over ask on personal terms

13 minutes ago, phili said:

How come Coventry need to drastically reduce their wage bill despite a new owner coming in?

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

How come Coventry need to drastically reduce their wage bill despite a new owner coming in?

New owner doesn't have a unlimited budget and is not in the billionaire category of owner. He also has training ground and stadium issues to fix. 

9 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Gyökeres has the second-most goals in the league and 18 months left on his contract. I can't see him going for just £3m plus add-ons.

And if he was available for that price there would be a long list of clubs bidding for him.Clubs that pay far higher wages than ourselves 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phili said:

New owner doesn't have a unlimited budget and is not in the billionaire category of owner. He also has training ground and stadium issues to fix. 

No chance he will be available for the sort of fee you are suggesting.If he was then a club who pays higher wages than ourselves would be taking him

Just now, islander200 said:

And if he was available for that price there would be a long list of clubs bidding for him.

There is the Coventry desperation factor. Don't forget, they came back to Rovers to sell Hyam to us when they'd finished doing the numbers and we got him for just £1.5m.

Normally, I'd be thinking £10m+ easily for Gyökeres. But Coventry are desperate. I suspect they'll hold out until a bidding war starts and gets it closer to double figures than the ludicrously low market value Transfermarkt have slapped on him.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You are right about no evidence at the minute cos the transfer window hasn't finish yet or we haven't sign anyone. You need to wait until after the window and the summer before you want your evidence. 

The new recruitment team has been in place 3 months and already you want evidence before its even had a transfer window

My points are so far missed it's like a Reid thunderbolt sailing into the upper tier of the Blackburn End! 

I've shown how there is a ton of evidence that it won't work for these guys based on the past. I've also explained why I think that said past evidence is relevant to the new lot. 

So I think it's a bit of a pisstake to imply I'm being unreasonable in wanting results too soon (which wasn't even my point at all.) 

Last attempt:

Imagine you work at a warehouse. The CEO of the company is crap and keeps not giving the Warehouse manager no budget year after year, delays on signing off on training and new equipment and the warehouse isn't in a good state. The company has several warehouse managers and at several points even adds in a site supervisor as a middle guy between the CEO and warehouse manager. Throughout it all the warehouse is a mess and does a really shoddy job with getting deliveries out on time.  

Now a new warehouse manager is appointed. However the same CEO is in charge, with the same culture and overarching ways of working. Do you think it's likely the new warehouse manager will succeed? Do you think it's ok for people to be sceptical that he'll do well?

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Unless you have £billions to burn, the first thing you do if you buy a   struggling business is to stabilise the bloody thing by getting the right management in place, cutting/controlling your costs and optimising revenue opportunities.  Not easy but the best operators do it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

My points are so far missed it's like a Reid thunderbolt sailing into the upper tier of the Blackburn End! 

I've shown how there is a ton of evidence that it won't work for these guys based on the past. I've also explained why I think that said past evidence is relevant to the new lot. 

So I think it's a bit of a pisstake to imply I'm being unreasonable in wanting results too soon (which wasn't even my point at all.) 

Last attempt:

Imagine you work at a warehouse. The CEO of the company is crap and keeps not giving the Warehouse manager no budget year after year, delays on signing off on training and new equipment and the warehouse isn't in a good state. The company has several warehouse managers and at several points even adds in a site supervisor as a middle guy between the CEO and warehouse manager. Throughout it all the warehouse is a mess and does a really shoddy job with getting deliveries out on time.  

Now a new warehouse manager is appointed. However the same CEO is in charge, with the same culture and overarching ways of working. Do you think it's likely the new warehouse manager will succeed? Do you think it's ok for people to be sceptical that he'll do well?

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

If second is farce, I am wondering what is 12th.....FOV...

• Like 1

The reason I wouldn't be looking to take the risk on Cantwell is that it feels like a middle ground is unlikely. Given just how good he looked a couple of years back, his drop in form has been enormous. 

I think he'd either do absolutely nothing and be a burden, or he'd be a wonder signing. Really we need players who we know are going to offer something regardless, but also have the potential to become a huge asset. Yes there is a high reward with him, put the potential for it to be money burned are also higher.

For context, people way Szmodics was a waste for a similar fee. Personally I think we've overpaid for him but he's always going to bring something.

13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Like I said that is the past and and not relevant to the current footballing management team in place at Rovers. I'm not talking CEO level but director of Football Gregg Broughton, head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson and head of recruitment Gus Williams who have been appointed in the last 6 months plus some new recruitment staff where decisions are made within the budget who to sign. 

11 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Any chance of hamer from coventry if they need to cut the wage bill. He would be brilliant in our midfield.

Hamer would be my number one ‘realistic’ target, I’ve posted it before. It’s a shame he’s so small (5 ft 7) because if he was 6 ft 2 he would have everything. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

Hamer would be my number one ‘realistic’ target, I’ve posted it before. It’s a shame he’s so small (5 ft 7) because if he was 6 ft 2 he would have everything. 

I’m currently 4 minutes into ‘The ASD Podcast’ and the guest is none other than Gregg Broughton: 

He’s currently talking about how we signed Morton because he felt we needed a short term solution to midfield because we have Travis and Buckley established with Garrett and Wharton coming through rather than a ‘27 year old on a three year deal that would be expensive’. 

So that puts Hamer to bed as an option. 

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Last attempt:

Fair play to you for keep on trying but as the latest response shows you can only debate with someone that has actual comprehension and reasoning skills.

• Like 3