BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

To add insult to injury it also means that if O Brien did come here and liked it and was available to loan next season that there is zero chance now. So damaging to the club. We would have been in pole position to resign him next season imo.

• Like 2

I don't know why I still bother... but.

I actually think that the approach on the football side was sound. I totally get that Broughton has not delivered the signings, but I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought his approach of going for two strong loans (Sorba and the ultimately tragic LOB deal) was actually a mark of ambition. To me, these two moves were clear indicators that JDT and him were going for promotion via the playoffs. I still believe the approach for this window was to maximise the limited funds we had, by getting the best quality we could have got. I think they were focusing on top-quality championship players, and probably did not get a striker because we couldn't find someone better than what we had. When LOB suddenly became viable after WBA and Sheffield Utd pulled out, I think GB and JDT decided to go for it as LOB would have given us a clear overload in midfield, and Brereton could have done a job up front if we play Sorba on the left.

In fact, assuming that LOB did agree terms on the potential permanent deal and it was just a matter of a late submission, I have no idea how we sold that to him, probably with a very low release fee included. 

Mystery is why it fell through. I had thought, and was prepared to believe, that it was an honest administrative oversight. But the datapoint of Waggot and Pasha being in Birmingham on deadline night raises questions. I would be very interested to know if they regularly attend away matches, or if it was actually an exception that they attended the replay. At worst, and with the history of the last twelve years, you have to wonder about the possibility of sabotage on the administrative side. A less conspiratorial possibility could be that it took to long to get approvals on (or even to work out) the numbers in the permanent contract, as I would bet that Waggot and co would have no idea what the financial modelling would look like should we get promoted. 

Finally, a crazier hypothesis is whether Rovers, Forest and LOB all agreed to try their luck with the EFL and take a common position that they need not agree on permanent terms yet, and submitted the deal without that element, but was ultimately rejected by the EFL.  

Overall, I think the logic of the footballing approach is sound, but the adminstration of the organisation is appalling. To deliver on the mission (footballing success and promotion), you need sound enablers at the organisational side, which we do not have. If JDT and GB are as competent as I think they are, or have as much professional pride as I think they have, it would be a tough task to convince them to stay for another season. 

• Like 7

Lets face it us having a player like that primed and ready to go was way to good to be true under the current climate.

It was a huge surprise and now it's zero surprise it's fallen through that just sums up how people view Rovers and the dozy state of the club.

F###K the lot of them yet i still see clowns running around on social media blaming everything except those responsible.  

At least they can't blame this one on the crowds !

• Like 8

1 minute ago, vyeo said:

I think they were focusing on top-quality championship players, and probably did not get a striker because we couldn't find someone better than what we had.

We agreed loan packages with at least two clubs for strikers in Undav and Kone. They fell through because the selling clubs halted the deals in the end - the former because I don't think Undav wanted to go, and the latter because the selling club didn't get their target. So they did find strikers, but the deals never happened.

• Like 7

For those surmising whether the club was unaware they needed to negotiate the players contract in relation to the permanent transfer - paragraph 47.3.1 of the regulations states that a copy of this contract must be submitted with the other requisite forms.

The regulations also make very clear which forms are needed for each type of transfer and are publicly available on the EFL website.

i can’t believe the club wouldn’t know what they had to do, it’s all there in black and white.

Actually, given the people at the club, maybe I can believe it!! 

Edited by wilsdenrover
Minor wording change
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, vyeo said:

Finally, a crazier hypothesis is whether Rovers, Forest and LOB all agreed to try their luck with the EFL and take a common position that they need not agree on permanent terms yet, and submitted the deal without that element, but was ultimately rejected by the EFL. 

I don't think that's crazy at all, I can imagine them trying to pull something like that and getting caught out. 

The bit I don't get is why both deals have gone south - maybe it's connected with the above? Brierly's deal should have been pretty straightforward should it not? 

• Like 1

Surely broughton and co would have drawn up a list of players prior to the January transfer window (O'Brien, Brierley) included.
It beggars belief, the club left it up to the last minute to submit all the necessary paper work to the EFL, it's smacks of mismanagement and incompetence of the highest order, just waiting for a club statement.

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

We agreed loan packages with at least two clubs for strikers in Undav and Kone. They fell through because the selling clubs halted the deals in the end - the former because I don't think Undav wanted to go, and the latter because the selling club didn't get their target. So they did find strikers, but the deals never happened.

Yes you're right. I'd forgot about Undav and Kone. Still in line the broader point that we were looking for top championship quality - these guys would probably be seen as immediate first-teamers. But because neither deal happened, and LOB became available, we decided to go for LOB instead of getting a filler striker. (And we wound up with nothing!) 

23 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Qualified for what? As far as I can find he never held a job in senior football until we appointed him. The manager is more qualified than him he had 15 year playing career at the top of the club and international game. And as a manager he has won league titles and competed in the Champions League.

He also holds the UEFA Pro Licence (coaching) and Technical Director's qualifications from the Football Association.

He lacks experience, which is why he's cutting his teeth as a Director of Football at this little backwater club (thanks Venkys). 

6 minutes ago, Irish_Rover said:

When is the next fans forum with the management team (or is there one)?

Every single one of these conmen need to be made answer for this utter shit show in that meeting.

One of the reasons they appointed Broughton was so Waggott and Pasha could direct fans/media in his direction when things go wrong on the football side.

So when Waggott turns up to the next forum meeting all the discussion will be on pie flavours, player postcards and the like.

'Nothing to do with me, Gregg will have to answer that one'

'What I can say is that the owners have always provided the money so it's not their fault'

• Like 5

If GB feels that the fault does not lie with him, he should offer an ultimatum to the club. Sack whoever is responsible or I walk. Allows him to maintain dignity.

JDT should ditch the "project" & do everything in his power to reach the play offs. That would appear as a minor miracle given the circumstances he had to work under & should be enough to get him a good club!

20 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

No-one will convince me this wasent done on purpose ..on maggots say so 

Occam's razor applies here.

There's no conspiracy theory - Broughton / JDT can't really complain if the CEO says "sorry, we can't commit to paying £10m for O'Brien if we get promoted". WBA said exactly the same thing.

It's incompetence, end of. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnD said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that we were prepared to meet his wages in full. Secret money tree?

Why are we agreeing to pay £10m for a lad that clearly isn't Premiership quality? Not that we'd go up anyway, but why are we doing that?

I think the whole deal stinks to be honest and if I was the manager I'd be considering my position, why would he want to work with a bunch of rank amateurs? 

• Like 2