BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Kevin Moran

Was talking to an Irish mate about Kevin. We agreed he was as hard as nails. He played a major role in getting Rovers out of what was the old second division.

I think we all remember the goal against Derby in the play-off semi. For sheer bravery, it's difficult to match.  I think he was one of those players that had great assurance in his play, you never worried about the man.

Two points: - am I right in thinking that we signed him on a free transfer? If so, have we ever made a better free signing? And two, have we ever had a harder player? John McNamee perhaps?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Was talking to an Irish mate about Kevin. We agreed he was as hard as nails. He played a major role in getting Rovers out of what was the old second division.

I think we all remember the goal against Derby in the play-off semi. For sheer bravery, it's difficult to match.  I think he was one of those players that had great assurance in his play, you never worried about the man.

Two points: - am I right in thinking that we signed him on a free transfer? If so, have we ever made a better free signing? And two, have we ever had a harder player? John McNamee perhaps?

You are right in all respects! Still a winner in the Premier League at 37! Kenny wanted him to stay but his knees were killing him.

Couldn't even train between games but, come Saturday, no-one you'd sooner have at he heart of defence.

My all-time hero, the best signing we ever made.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

He was also the player that taught Colin Hendry how to defend

• Like 3

I know he'll always be associated with stardom at Man U and his national side but to me he'll always been a Rovers cult hero almost in the Speedie category.

Brilliant old school defender knees knackered and strapped up, head arm ankles bandaged and whatever else, no pace whatsoever but nobody got past him easily. Not sure how he'd fare in today's game but he was perfect for us at that period in time.

• Like 4

• Backroom

I would argue Nelsen, but can't remember if he was free or not.

Surprisingly cultured baller in defence from a footballing backwater, could read the game, and hard as nails.

So hard, in fact, he broke his leg early in a game away to Charlton and kept playing! There's something about Kiwis, they know no pain!

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

I would argue Nelsen, but can't remember if he was free or not.

Surprisingly cultured baller in defence from a footballing backwater, could read the game, and hard as nails.

So hard, in fact, he broke his leg early in a game away to Charlton and kept playing! There's something about Kiwis, they know no pain!

He was indeed free. We signed a load of players around that time for less than a million (the Axe, Zurab, Samba) but I think Nelsen was a bosman.

An amazing free - but not quite in the Brad category for me (Moran was slightly before my time).

Also played a massive role in NZ going unbeaten during a World Cup campaign in a group that included Italy. I remember Sky used to do player ratings around that time, but basically never awarded 10s. 

When the Kiwis drew with Italy, they gave Nelsen a 10 with the one-word caption, "Heroic". 

• Like 1

I think there was a game where his distribution was unusually awfully and he came off at half time? Turned out he'd had a clash of heads and had double vision for the rest of the half, but didn't want to come off so hadn't told anyone.

Edited by DanLad
Typo
  • Like 1