BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Appeal to EFL

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Perhaps the BRFCS owners / administrators could tell us if there is a reference to stakeholders? It’s possible but it’s unlikely.  I thought we as messageboard users were “members” or is that too old fashioned and “Luddite”?

I honestly doubt if anyone who posts on here regard themselves as stakeholders in the same way as the vast majority of folk who attend matches do not see themselves as anything other than fans or supporters.

Language evolves but this smacks of American management/ corporate bullshit to me and I’m looking forward to the next away match already. “Shit ground, no stakeholders” 

Yeah right

It's been around as a widely recognised and useful business term for around 30 years at least. People just get confused between "shareholders" and "stakeholders", always have.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, SBlue said:

It's been around as a widely recognised and useful business term for around 30 years at least. People just get confused between "shareholders" and "stakeholders", always have.

We're fans, not shareholders or stakeholders 

18 hours ago, Mercer said:

I'll bet you £50 this is all futile nonsense and nothing will come of it.

Loser pays £50 to charity of winner's choice.

Just what have you got to lose given your certainty over the issue?

Always seems to be about the booze and the betting with you. These aren't everyone's pastimes of choice.

Looking forward to the day after a victory when you say you're off for a bit of Reiki and and an Oatmeal Latte to celebrate...

image.jpeg.f2f4915af838486073eadc8c8e12e0bf.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SBlue said:

As a fan, you're a stakeholder.

Anyone with "an interest" or who is affected by the success or failures of a business. Be that in supply chain, creditors, contractors, staff and their families, local businesses, customers that rely on certain products or services etc.

And yes, fans - your engagement with "the product" is the whole point of the business existing. The business fails or succeeds, and it affects you.

It's not a dirty word? Don't understand the problem.

I may have bought cakes from a local shop and if it closes it will affect me because I will no longer be able to use that facility so does that make me a stakeholder too?

I have no financial interest in it and its success or failure does not depend on me. I haven't lost out and I will take my custom elsewhere. 

I have problems with the game of football and watching a match being described as a "product". The loos might not be clean and the pies overpriced but that's by the way.  My enjoyment stems only from the team's performance. I'm fan of the team in the blue and white shirts - nothing more. And for me that doesn't make me a "stakeholder"

It all smacks of Chicago Business School management jargon

I wonder how many "stakeholders" will be at Ewood for the Blackpool game?

Answer: maybe 100-200 players, sponsors, employees, because they have a financial stake. 

Fans: probably 12-15,000

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I may have bought cakes from a local shop and if it closes it will affect me because I will no longer be able to use that facility so does that make me a stakeholder too?

I have no financial interest in it and its success or failure does not depend on me. I haven't lost out and I will take my custom elsewhere. 

I have problems with the game of football and watching a match being described as a "product". The loos might not be clean and the pies overpriced but that's by the way.  My enjoyment stems only from the team's performance. I'm fan of the team in the blue and white shirts - nothing more. And for me that doesn't make me a "stakeholder"

Answer: maybe 100-200 players, sponsors, employees, because they have a financial stake. 

So you're very much a stakeholder... sorry Jim 

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Obviously you would prefer the definition of stakeholder to be limited to those with a direct financial interest in the organisation concerned. That is up to you , but in the modern world the definition is extended beyond that and in the context of a football club fans are regarded as stakeholders.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Obviously you would prefer the definition of stakeholder to be limited to those with a direct financial interest in the organisation concerned. That is up to you , but in the modern world the definition is extended beyond that and in the context of a football club fans are regarded as stakeholders.

Yes it is up to me, and I ain't a stakeholder

Blackpool supporters in the "modern world" may think otherwise and that's up to them.

I look forward to them singing

"Shit ground, no stakeholders"

• Like 2

I don't understand why you are so against this.

It's a word. A word that is useful and has been used for decades.

If the club is badly managed and ticket prices have to go up - this affects you financially too.

I was trying to be nice, but the other person had it right with luddite I suppose. You don't like it because you don't understand it.

Edited by SBlue
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It’s getting bloody stupid now. It’s March next week! There will only be 2 months of the season left. 

Still be 36 points available though...

48 minutes ago, SBlue said:

I don't understand why you are so against this.

It's a word. A word that is useful and has been used for decades.

If the club is badly managed and ticket prices have to go up - this affects you financially too.

I was trying to be nice, but the other person had it right with luddite I suppose. You don't like it because you don't understand it.

Just give up pal, its pointless. Its clear to most people that Any Blackburn Rovers supporter is a stakeholder 

26 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It’s getting bloody stupid now. It’s March next week! There will only be 2 months of the season left. 

Are you real expecting the EFL to rush making a decision or to speed up the process? 

14 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Language evolves but this smacks of American management/ corporate bullshit to me and I’m looking forward to the next away match already. “Shit ground, no stakeholders” 

Yeah right

That wouldn't be the correct context for the word. Fans are stakeholders, but not all stakeholders are fans. (In a way it would actually be more damning, as stakeholders refers to a much wider group of parties, so it would be like saying nobody has a vested interest in their club at all! But obviously the rhythm doesn't fit and it's too technical for a football ground 😛 )

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

We're fans, not shareholders or stakeholders 

We're both. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not. The word exists, has a definition, and a fan of a football club falls under it. No matter how much it 'wasn't like that in your day' or whatever.

You seem to think it's just a straight swap word for 'fans', but it absolutely isn't. A fan is one category of stakeholder, but stakeholder is a far more encompassing term. Nobody is calling themselves a stakeholder instead of a fan, either, in a general sense. But it's a term that can have an appropriate use in the right context (a wider business context), sometimes when referring to fans. You're not going to start hearing it replace matchday parlance, don't worry. Managers aren't going to start thanking the stakeholders for being a good crowd today etc.

Other people seem to think it's interchangeable with shareholder, and so it only applies if you part own the club. That's wrong too.

• Like 2