BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (a) - 25/2/23

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Good post. We just see the player for 90 mins, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. 

He's clearly a lot fitter now. His ability was never in doubt. 

I think there is a lot of this. Managers will sometimes admit a player has been carrying a niggle but playing anyway for a few months. I think Travis is another one...some posters have framed it as being dropped making him get his act together, and who knows maybe there's a touch of that, but personally I think it's more been a case of his body was feeling it after a decent start to the season. Trav isn't a player whose attitude I've ever questioned, he gives you what he's got.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sheffield United absolutely battered us at Bramall Lane - one of the few teams that have looked a different class to us this year (the other, realistically, being Burnley).

I'd be very surprised if we got anything out of the return fixture, although they are having a little wobble. 

Last 3 aways they've drawn at Rotherham and QPR, and lost at Millwall. 

10 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I watched via an excellent ESPN+ stream but went to the BBC to check other scores.

As you say stuck at HT, what a crap outfit they are. I got them easy enough elsewhere.

Great result and what a full on effort by all.

Bummer. I could have seen it. TBH glad I didn’t.  I usually jinx the result when I watch ESPN. I also have to wear my same old rugby jersey that is getting all these great results. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Who knows? He’s been absolutely shite, but we don’t have anyone else available and Vale is even less effective that Gally. Which is why, honestly I’d just keep playing him in the hope that one crashes in off his backside, he regains some confidence and scores another 5-10 goals between now and May. He is a handful when he’s on it 🤞🏽

Aged well….😉

• Like 5

Brittain and Rankin terrific throughout the game. Travis and buckley bossed the centre. I don’t understand that so many criticises Buckley when he has a game like today. Full control on the ball, great passing, full of runnning and pressing and his positioning creates triangles and space for other players. Best game I have seen of him in a while. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

If we beat them at Ewood next league match is 2nd up for grabs ?

It would still be 6 points and them with a game in hand. Frankly they're a better side too. Possible but I wouldn't count on it, and we have to beat them first of course.

6 minutes ago, yankfan said:

20 x the player Morton is. 

I said after the Blackpool game, Buckley is one of them players who has such a good football brain, that he gains that split second that makes the difference. His eye for a killer pass is his biggest asset though.

He put a great defensive tackle in midway through the second half today, to ease the pressure. Add that to his game on a consistent basis and I think we have a cracker. 

• Like 3

• Backroom

Don't really follow this logic that a player has one good game in a dozen and suddenly everyone else was wrong about them. It can entirely true that a player has been rubbish but happened to play well in a given game. 

• Like 6

I think it’s very picky to be critical of anyone’s performance today. To a man they were all good and played their part. Great three points!

I had a funny feeling about Gallagher today and had a little bet on a brace at 25/1 so even happier.

I enjoyed seeing us mix it up again. The shift to going a bit more direct and not overplaying is paying dividends. I get the feeling there has been a decision made that we are going to have a proper go at making the playoffs, and it feels wonderful right now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Don't really follow this logic that a player has one good game in a dozen and suddenly everyone else was wrong about them. It can entirely true that a player has been rubbish but happened to play well in a given game. 

Who has said that?

4 minutes ago, lraC said:

I said after the Blackpool game, Buckley is one of them players who has such a good football brain, that he gains that split second that makes the difference. His eye for a killer pass is his biggest asset though.

He put a great defensive tackle in midway through the second half today, to ease the pressure. Add that to his game on a consistent basis and I think we have a cracker. 

Sometimes though, he thinks he has that split second, dawdles and loses it. When he's on his game, he's very good at this level. He can certainly play. Needs to find that consistency though and never rest on his laurels.

• Like 4

Travis brilliant all game and Buckley great 2nd half. He’s a much better player when we’re leading, has more space when opponents are chasing and he can control the game. 

I obviously gave him (and Morton) a kicking this week in the other thread but credit where it’s due he looked good today. 

I’m flying over for the match on Tuesday night so sorry to tell you all this is the end of our unbeaten run 😂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I think it's becoming increasingly clear that the main reason JRC was, frankly, a bit bollocks for quite a while was his physical condition. Constantly getting injuries suggests his body was never quite up to it, and that affects your whole performance, especially your pace (not that he's fast now). Mowbray was guilty of throwing him back in before he was ready, and when he was out of form, on a few occasions. Often with no need as Nyambe was fit, and often resulting in another rapid breakdown. I do worry with him that another injury could be right around the corner, but so far the team are managing his fitness well you'd have to say.

Now he's starting to live up to the hype we used to hear in his academy days before his serious injuries. Long may it continue!

The fact he was on the verge of being packed off on loan for the season shows how fine the margins between success and failure can be.

I think he is proving to be the perfect fit for the way Tomasson wants his fullbacks to play - although he looks like he’d do a good job anywhere at present! He’s comfortable on the ball and happy to come inside. He struggled under Mowbray as he was expected to be constantly bombing up and down the touchline, driving forward and chasing back. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The fact he was on the verge of being packed off on loan for the season shows how fine the margins between success and failure can be.

I think he is proving to be the perfect fit for the way Tomasson wants his fullbacks to play - although he looks like he’d do a good job anywhere at present! He’s comfortable on the ball and happy to come inside. He struggled under Mowbray as he was expected to be constantly bombing up and down the touchline, driving forward and chasing back. 

Fair assessment, he was expected to have Nyambe's engine but with more end product. But he doesn't have Nyambe's engine, just the more end product part. He couldn't get back quick enough, especially not being fully fit, and we got exposed a lot as a result.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think it’s very picky to be critical of anyone’s performance today. To a man they were all good and played their part. Great three points!

I had a funny feeling about Gallagher today and had a little bet on a brace at 25/1 so even happier.

I enjoyed seeing us mix it up again. The shift to going a bit more direct and not overplaying is paying dividends. I get the feeling there has been a decision made that we are going to have a proper go at making the playoffs, and it feels wonderful right now.

“Are you Mercer in disguise, are you Merrrrrrcer in disguise”

He gives us the tips in advance at least! 😶

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Sometimes though, he thinks he has that split second, dawdles and loses it. When he's on his game, he's very good at this level. He can certainly play. Needs to find that consistency though and never rest on his laurels.

I don't think it's any coincidence that since Buckley has come back into the side we've gone on an excellent run of form.

He's now getting a run of games at his best position - he's only going to improve from here and he's already very good.

• Like 1