BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (a) - 25/2/23

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Like I posted earlier, I don't think he was ever physically 100% when Mowbray would fudge him into the side. You can't play at your best when your body isn't cooperating.

I watched a lot of JRC in his u21 days and along with Buckley was outstanding and can/ could play in any outfield position. Still don’t think he’s a RB long term (nor his favoured position) and with his skill set could certainly play as a  No10 at this level easily. I don’t think Mowbray ever utilised him correctly and did shoehorn him in at RB whenever he could find an excuse to do so. Fair play to him this season he’s been outstanding since he came back into the team playing at RB

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I just say what I see. I thought Nyambe was crap long before any contract issue and I thought JRC was a better fullback than him, the first time I saw him play there. I posted as much.

The funniest thing about your assertions about Nyambe and ‘the clubs’ view on him is that, believe it or not Nyambe and Mowbray got on wonderfully….in fact there’s only Tony at the club who rated him. The rest, in particular Venus thought he was crap and were on him all the time.

The problem with Nyambe and Mowbrays love in, was that it gave RN the idea that he was much better than he was and he decided to hold out for a better deal. Once Tony was gone and he realised no one wanted him, it was too late. JDT and GB withdrew the contract and RN got a year in Wigans reserves on LESS than he was on at Rovers.

Awkward.

Some good story you’ve got yourself there Mani

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ossyian said:

I watched a lot of JRC in his u21 days and along with Buckley was outstanding and can/ could play in any outfield position. Still don’t think he’s a RB long term (nor his favoured position) and with his skill set could certainly play as a  No10 at this level easily. I don’t think Mowbray ever utilised him correctly and did shoehorn him in at RB whenever he could find an excuse to do so. Fair play to him this season he’s been outstanding since he came back into the team playing at RB

He was highly thought of coming out of the U21's, and a few seasons back Mowbray used to say his best position was AML. He played there a few times when he wasn't injured, I seem to remember a cracking through ball at Hillsborough that set up AA from that position. He's just a naturally good footballer and like you say could probably play anywhere in midfield, RB and LB.

I think though that JRC now sees himself as a RB. It was in the LT.

5 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

To be fair, if Morton was one of ours then we wouldn't shut up about him. 

Hate to be a negative Nelly, but everything positive has been covered in the thread already…

But if Morton was “one of ours”, we would never have heard of him.

Comfortably the worst midfielder in the senior squad for me, don’t know what you see in the lad.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He was highly thought of coming out of the U21's, and a few seasons back Mowbray used to say his best position was AML. He played there a few times when he wasn't injured, I seem to remember a cracking through ball at Hillsborough that set up AA from that position. He's just a naturally good footballer and like you say could probably play anywhere in midfield, RB and LB.

I think though that JRC now sees himself as a RB. It was in the LT.

Yeh JRC has played some beautiful passes in the past. I would say he always seemed like his technique was pretty decent. His main flaws were his speed and stamina, and his ability to be caught out of position, all of which were tied to some degree to what must have been his poor fitness due to injury issues.

Even then, there was a legit argument for a while that he was a better option than Nyambe for games where we expected to take the game to the opposition (when we played possession style camped in the opponent's half), and that Nyambe was better for games where we expected the opposition to come at us. Later, JRC went off the boil and seemed to not be much use for either, but now he's back with a vengeance. Great to see, I hope his injury woes are behind him as I think that's the main thing that could curtail his progression now. Needs to be disciplined looking after himself and have a bit of luck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, booth said:

How is that Tomassons fault?

I'm bored of this but, final answer, because he wants the defence to play it's way out of tight situations.

In the absence of that tactic the ball would have been hoofed clear.

Where have you been for the last 7 months. Over and out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBlue said:

Hate to be a negative Nelly, but everything positive has been covered in the thread already…

But if Morton was “one of ours”, we would never have heard of him.

Comfortably the worst midfielder in the senior squad for me, don’t know what you see in the lad.

He had a spell where he was very good early in the season then recently has been quite poor. Trav and Buckley have both similarly been up and down.

I personally dont think hes a bad player, just at a similar level to what we have already.

Next time we loan we really need to make sure they are a level above what we have or offer us something different we dont have. Morton isnt either of those.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

He had a spell where he was very good early in the season then recently has been quite poor. Trav and Buckley have both similarly been up and down.

I personally dont think hes a bad player, just at a similar level to what we have already.

Next time we loan we really need to make sure they are a level above what we have or offer us something different we dont have. Morton isnt either of those.

My problem with that is that I don't know what "rights" we, or any borrowing club have in such a situation. But that says more about how far from "In the know" status I am.

Will club scouts and/or the Under-18 management have vetted the player we want before we approach the Premier League club?  Or does the Premier League club say, "Right; we'll lend you such-and-such a player; take him for a season, or leave him. There's nobody else we want to lend this season"?

If the latter, does the club owned by apparently disinterested  Indian millionaires say, "No thanks; we'll see if we can borrow someone from a different (Premier League) club, whom we think we could help develop while meeting our current needs. Maybe borrow someone else from you next season?"

Rather than just taking someone who doesn't meet what we need, but is employed by a Premier League club, just because he's on their books?

Edited by R0verb0y
Tidying up my grammar!

5 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think that hits the nail on the head. I'm all for saying that defenders should be there to defend first and foremost, but all decent fullbacks have to bring something offensively too these days. He just wasn't developing in that side of his game.

He only played there a couple of times for us, but I think he could potentially be great on the right side of a back three. Wigan's problem now I suppose. 

I guess the fact that his contract will end soon and his CV is likely to show, he couldn’t get in the side of a relegated team speaks volumes. He will be a free agent and may have one hell of a struggle getting a decent contract.

Is I was his agent, I would be worried. 

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

For the record, both Hyam and Carter are better than Lenihan. 

Rothwell got on against City today during Bournemouth's spanking, so he'll be happy...

I agree 100% that Hyam is. He’s the best we’ve had for a long long time. I think Carter and Wharton have the potential to be better still, but Hyam and Lenihan would’ve been the top CB pairing in the league. I’m not complaining though…we’re well stocked with great quality cb’s 👍🏼

• Like 1

I don't know if it's been picked up on here yet but one incident yesterday warmed me up. As we were celebrating our second goal right in front of where I was sa w Sorba Thomas was gesturing to a few QPR fans who had been giving him a few verbals as he hugged the touchline in front of them. He was pointing at them and laughing but they took umbrage at this and complained to a steward who simply didn't want to know, probably having heard what they were shouting at Thomas. It was good to see him sticking up for himself and from what I have seen he looks a robust character.

• Like 7

I thought season was done after Rotherham, feels nicely weird to be optimistic after February about our play off chances!

I remember last season, the resurgent Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United were behind us and ever closing our gap and you felt it was when not if, they would overtake us.

This season the “big guns” Watford Norwich and West Brom beneath us haven’t really hit top gear yet, like the aforementioned did last season.

Seems to be Millwall and Luton who are in the best form at the moment in the ‘pack’.

• Like 1

Noticed for the first goal that the other Rovers player around the keeper ready to take any opportunity, was Brittain. Can’t remember a time when our full backs were so influential. JRC was phenomenal. Keeping those two fit will go along way to staying around the top 6.

Yesterday felt like two sides at opposite ends of the table. One team familiar with winning and one team familiar with losing. A textbook away performance.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Just watched the Sky highlights, influenced the game at both ends of the field ... Someone has done wonders with that lad !

He's a wonderful diagonal long-ball passer isn't he?

edit---bloody predictive text!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1