BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (a) - 25/2/23

Another fantastic result, didn’t see the game but sounds like we carried on from the Blackpool performance which I thought was one of our best in months at Ewood.

If you had asked me after the Wigan game I would have put my life savings on us dropping out the playoffs but the team seem to have found a way to win.

Plus the last two performances have finally showed some improvement from the dirge server up prior to it. Long may it continue the Sheff Utd game next weekend could be an important one 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Is anyone going to mention Dolan's touch in controlling  JRC's sublime crossfield pass?

You are absolutely right but yesterday there were many individual moments from players and from some unlikely sources too. Brittain  sold quite a few dummies in the second half to create space for himself. Confidence is key here for me. Speaking of dummies judging by Gallaghers celebration after his first goal is he about to become a father?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I don't know if it's been picked up on here yet but one incident yesterday warmed me up. As we were celebrating our second goal right in front of where I was sa w Sorba Thomas was gesturing to a few QPR fans who had been giving him a few verbals as he hugged the touchline in front of them. He was pointing at them and laughing but they took umbrage at this and complained to a steward who simply didn't want to know, probably having heard what they were shouting at Thomas. It was good to see him sticking up for himself and from what I have seen he looks a robust character.

Love this about him, he's definitely getting a red card at some point this season though!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Gallagher continues to frustrate despite his goals. He’s got all the physical attributes yet still gets knocked off the ball easily and doesn’t win as many headers as he should. You do wonder about his football brain sometimes. He had a break down the right in the second hall on his own and still crossed the ball despite their being no Rovers players in the penalty area. Why? Perhaps it’s a lack of confidence. 

He was on a hat-trick as well. If he's not going to put his foot through the ball and be selfish when he has the chance to have his first ever senior hat-trick when is he ever going to do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

It's bonkers that 2 of our best players at the moment, Pears and JRC wouldn't even be here if we'd got a few signings in! Fair bloody play to the both of them.

Indeed. I think another poster somewhere made the point that it is a very thin line sometimes between success and failure at the professional level. We have seen at least three cases recently at Rovers where players who have been more or less written off (by fans at any rate) go on to become key performers.

And going back in time who would have thought that Jason Wilcox and Mark Atkins would have been integral players in a title winning team!?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SBlue said:

Hate to be a negative Nelly, but everything positive has been covered in the thread already…

But if Morton was “one of ours”, we would never have heard of him.

Comfortably the worst midfielder in the senior squad for me, don’t know what you see in the lad.

Game of opinions! For me, his ability is definitely there. Not anywhere near the Elliot level if we're comparing him to other loans, but enough that he's already Championship standard. He has made some bad errors though, and now that Trav and Buckley are looking more like themselves then I'm glad they're in the team. 

The thing that winds me up the most about him will probably do him good in the long run. I remember when his error lost us the game away at Wigan, there was some talk from the club about how he is mentally strong enough to not dwell on it and carry on playing his natural game, taking risks. That's all well and good for Liverpool, but if he carries on giving chances away by overplaying (as he has done) I struggle to shake the impression that he's playing more for himself and his development and less about making sure that Rovers pick up as many points as possible. That's probably no different to lots of other youngsters who go out on loan in fairness, so it probably shows how selective you need to be when signing these sorts of players more than anything else.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Indeed. I think another poster somewhere made the point that it is a very thin line sometimes between success and failure at the professional level. We have seen at least three cases recently at Rovers where players who have been more or less written off (by fans at any rate) go on to become key performers.

And going back in time who would have thought that Jason Wilcox and Mark Atkins would have been integral players in a title winning team!?

Perhaps an element of complacency in the first teamers? 

I hold my hands up and say I've slated JDT a few times, what I will say though is the way he uses the reserves and even bcd games is superb, better than I've ever known it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Game of opinions! For me, his ability is definitely there. Not anywhere near the Elliot level if we're comparing him to other loans, but enough that he's already Championship standard. He has made some bad errors though, and now that Trav and Buckley are looking more like themselves then I'm glad they're in the team. 

The thing that winds me up the most about him will probably do him good in the long run. I remember when his error lost us the game away at Wigan, there was some talk from the club about how he is mentally strong enough to not dwell on it and carry on playing his natural game, taking risks. That's all well and good for Liverpool, but if he carries on giving chances away by overplaying (as he has done) I struggle to shake the impression that he's playing more for himself and his development and less about making sure that Rovers pick up as many points as possible. That's probably no different to lots of other youngsters who go out on loan in fairness, so it probably shows how selective you need to be when signing these sorts of players more than anything else.

He made an absolute balls up in the Big Club home cup tie as well.  On another point I see Markanday didn’t get a kick yesterday at Aberdeen. He must have played for about 10 minutes since he went there. How is it we didn’t have a stipulation that he should get plenty of game time ?

He probably would have got more playing time than that if he’d have stayed at Rovers 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

QPR ran out of steam after half an hour. There was clearly an energy about their side, probably due to a new manager, that we weathered well in spite of my fears after their equaliser.

I'm starting to see the team fight and not capitulate. A new manager and a team full of energy are usually enough to kill us off before the game gets going, but I'm starting to see that sort of trend being bucked. Credit to Tomasson for instilling resilience into the team.

Joe Rankin-Costello was the standout performer. His trickery for our third goal was sublime. He has been excellent at both defence and offence in recent months. Long may that continue.

Pears, yet again, was well-protected by the team, limiting QPR to two shots on target. I think this shows how well-organised Tomasson has the team, now.

Gallagher needs to get into that six-yard area far more often and allow others to do the work on the ball. He still didn't look too elegant on the ball to me, but it doesn't matter if he gets into goal-scoring positions, as he did yesterday.

Overall, it was a really enjoyable watch. I think Tomasson's style is starting to take shape.

We've got a really tough March coming up, but let's keep the points ticking over, starting against Sheffield United on Saturday.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

He had a break down the right in the second hall on his own and still crossed the ball despite their being no Rovers players in the penalty area. Why? Perhaps it’s a lack of confidence. 

Tony convinced him he's a winger! 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He made an absolute balls up in the Big Club home cup tie as well.  On another point I see Markanday didn’t get a kick yesterday at Aberdeen. He must have played for about 10 minutes since he went there. How is it we didn’t have a stipulation that he should get plenty of game time ?

He probably would have got more playing time than that if he’d have stayed at Rovers 

Markanday is a puzzling one. Has looked pretty okay when hes played, caused the opposition issues. Quick, direct, can score. Its hard to figure out why no one is playing him, obviously something we can't see 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I hold my hands up and say I've slated JDT a few times, 

I think most of us have to be fair. 

And in his defence, not that he needs it at the moment, he did say things would improve after the WC break...it's just been a bit delayed, but there are definite signs that we are getting better as an attacking unit now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

How did JRC's Mum or Dad lose the 'we arent having Rankin as part of a double barrel with Costello' argument? 

Joe Costello is a name befitting his form this season. 

Good job his Mums maiden name, wasn't Abbott.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I think most of us have to be fair. 

And in his defence, not that he needs it at the moment, he did say things would improve after the WC break...it's just been a bit delayed, but there are definite signs that we are getting better as an attacking unit now.

Having a go at him was fine, par for the course, but the slating he’d had on here (forums can be like that, but more surprisingly from a fair few at Ewood, especially after five years of Teflon Tony) has baffled me; ‘clueless’’, ‘no hoper’ etc.

Average budget and players and we’ve not been more than a point from the top 6 all season. Not sure what more he could’ve done?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9