BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FAC Q/F v Sheffield United (a) - 19/3/23, 12pm K/O

32 minutes ago, Gav said:

First of all, can I say Happy Mothers Day to Mrs Tyrone senior.

Just on Szmodics, that lad epitomises everything about this current side thats great, he's been an excellent buy after a slow start. Today he ran himself into the ground, never gave the United defenders a rest and gave plenty to the home fans to, he's worth the admission price alone and was a strong 8 today.

I didn’t know he was playing in the first half Gav.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My overriding feeling today is actually how Travis has grown into a proper captain after his dip in form.

Today he played their midfield 3 on his own, and was on his knees after 80mins.

Proper commitment.

Totally agree - he's been exceptional since his return.

Including his distribution and ball retention, I've been really pleased with how much he's come on under JDT.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, broadsword said:

Good point, well made. It's not worth it. But it is difficult to take. And they really made me believe for a while. Sheffield being as dirty as they come really is insult on top of injury. And I just can't believe those subs. How it league form doesn't suffer now.

I'm just on the floor here boss, how do I pick myself up?

I would honestly put that on a par with losing to palace in eightynine. That's how bad it is

Yeah; I get that, @broadsword .

That second leg defeat in Sahf London was really painful at the time and the journey home heartbreaking.

And nearly 25 years on, I've still haven't forgiven George Courtney - the Referee of the Second Leg game - for his "controversial decisions", to quote Mike Jackman. He (Courtney) may be 82 nowadays; but he was always one of those Referees who, for me, made the game all about them.

But who could have foreseen what would have happened within three seasons, with Uncle Jack's largesse?

And that’s why I cut JDT some slack on here. For me, he laid the ground out clearly from almost his first statement that it would be three to four 'Windows' before he had a squad capable of holding their own in the Premier League. If they do that nearly as well as our squads of the 1990s did, it will go a lo-o-ong way towards easing the pain of this lunchtime.

But that'll call for more input from our Owners than we've seen over the years.

Edited by R0verb0y
Adding a final paragraph with a message for Pune.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Staffordshire Rover said:

How is that a Red for Willian but Robinson gets a yellow in our game! Joke these officials and VAR are! As the commentators said we played Yorkshire rules 

Willian will get a 1 match ban in Premier League game name. Hope he appeals on grounds that ball wasn't going in net and similar situation in Rover v Sheffield game only saw a yellow.

I know this is ridiculous suggestion but referees need some kind of bollocking.  

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Then he needs to take the credit for getting us to the QF and (potentially) the Playoffs.

He's doing an unbelievable job.

Quite a lot further in both Cup competitions, in fact, than his predecessor would have wanted to.

• Like 2

Just watched the game in full after Mothers Day lunch curtailed plans for a live viewing.

Thought we were excellent and despite the disappointment at the result, that the team has come on incredibly. Played every part in game that could have finished 5-5.

I refuse to criticise JDT. His coaching is much of the reason why we were both at this stage, and competitive on it. Sure the substitutions didn’t work, but at the time they seemed sensible and he’d have been getting criticism had we not made subs and still conceded. 

A little disappointed by Morton going down softly, clearly naive without making sure the ball went out of play. He wasn’t terrible in the main though  

If we keep that level of performance, we’ll see Wembley in May in any regard. 

Edited by Underground, Roverground
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pears 7 Pulled off some good saves. Nothing he could do about the ones that went in.

Rankin-Costello 7 Stuck to his task in defence. Couldn’t get forward much.

Carter 8 Terrific performance, unlucky to be booked.

Hyam 8 Great performance, unlucky to be on the losing side.

Pickering 7 Same as JRC, never took a backward step. Somebody ( Gally or SS ) should have got onto the cross he fired in.

Hedges 6 Not in it enough for me. Very unlucky with the shot that smashed against the upright.

Travis 9 Played them on his own in centre midfield for most of the game. Fought fire with fire and kept out of the book. Definitely a captains performance. Playing with a smile on his face now. I’m glad their guy missed the sitter off his back pass.

Morton 6 Not good enough I’m afraid. Let his teammates down at the end. With the play acting. You can take the lad out of the Premier League but you can’t take the Premier League out of the lad.

Szmodics 6 Again, not in it enough for me. First half I’d forgotten he was playing. Took his goal well. He’s either the life and soul of the party or the guy sat on his own in the corner. Today it was the latter. 

BBD 6 Blew hot and cold. I thought he should have gone higher with the shot after the first save of the double save. Took his pen well.

Gallagher 6 Tries hard but he’s not got a strikers instinct. He can’t sniff out a goal to save his life. Look at him and look at the likes of McBurnie. Chalk and cheese.

The two subs that actually touched the ball. Brittain - not convinced about this guy. He makes JRC look like Keith Newton. Wharton hasn’t played since when ? He looked like it today.

So you can see where the game was won and lost. I’m not too downhearted, we showed maximum effort and pride in the badge, that’s all I ever asked for. Get our heads up now and learn from that game. More “ cup quarter final “ level games to come.

My mum (  93 in November ) was more gutted than I was - she really wanted to see Rovers at Wembley this time ! 

Agree with all of those except Smod who id rank higher, likely a 7 and maybe even an 8. Must be hard having Morton behind you and Gally in front. Brilliant engine and great goal. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He should be a cult hero in the making for the terraces, sadly fans don't get with these days unless they can fit his name into a generic chant.

I love players like him though.

Feeling Supersonic, Give me Sammie Szmodics!

• Like 5