BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Play-offs - Can we do it? (POLL)

How do you think our season will end?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think our season will end?

• Promotion - Play-off Winners
    • We make the Play-offs, but don't win them
    • We won't make the Play-offs

I keep fluctuating - one day I feel like we have absolutely no chance, the next I can be full of hope.

If we can maintain the same level of aggression and determination that we displayed in the second half against Hudds throughout the rest of our remaining games, and keep creating chances (54 shots in our last 3 games) then I think we've a decent chance.

There's certainly a team in there, with a few minor refinements I guess we could make the play-offs. What do you think?

Edited by TheRevAshton

A tantalising question for sure and I too bounce back and forth depending on how the mood takes me.

72 points probably whats needed, meaning 3 wins and a draw from the final 6.

Home

Hull (must win, good recent record vs The Tigers)

Coventry (haven't beaten them at home since 1997, last two Championship matches at Ewood ending in draws)

Burnley (Lancashire derby and vs. Champions)

Luton (Only win against them in last 7 came without fans in the Covid season)

Away

Preston North End (nice win at Deepdale last season, but scoreline reversed back in December)

Millwall (Also playoff chasing, decent recent record at The Den)

10 points from those, looks tough on paper!

Not enough in the squad to expect a top 6 finish. In our own hands which is normally the problem for us!!

Another 8th placed finish is my prediction, which JDT deserves massive credit for as the squad is not the 8th best in the league, and that blame falls on our transfer failings.

Before the Birmingham game I thought we'd do it. Now, I think it's a toss of a coin.

One thing going for us is that we're not the only team which is faltering. Norwich were good at Ewood, but generally have struggled to pick up wins. Millwall too. PNE have obviously been churning out the wins, but they have almost exclusively come by beating teams right at the bottom. 

We have tough games, but equally only Burnley stands out as one where you think we're really up against it. Luton could easily have nothing to play for by the time we play them. Coventry are a decent side, but nothing to fear there in a home midweek game. Hull is a very winnable game.

The feeling I have is that we'll just about sneak into the top 6, but then not get to Wembley. 

• Like 1

I've gone for won't make the play offs sadly, of course you never know in football though, its why we love the game (and hate it at times).  Christ imagine if we missed out on goal difference.......

There's just too many huge games for me now, and although we have won a few like Sheff Utd at home, we've crumbled a few times as well.

Lack of experience is often quoted as a reason, if we do miss out then we need to make sure these players use the experience towards next season and beyond.  I think Luton will go up this season.......

We obviously have a chance, we are 6th! With an admittedly difficult game in hand. 

I still can't fathom why @J*B thinks we wont win ANY of the last 5 games. We may not win enough, I get doubting that, but we are in with a chance. We need a minimum of 4 points from these upcoming 2 games, or obviously ideally 6.

We have played 3 of the other teams in the top 6 this season and have won 2 of those, our home record is the second best in the league. Burnley is the obvious tough one but they should be champions on 100 points by then, not that we will get any favours. Hopefully Luton win enough between now and the penultimate game to have a play off berth sorted by then.

• Like 3

Definitely a disappointment, I certainly would take no consolation in it being "year 1 of a project" if we mess it up having been in the top 6 for so long.

Next season the team won't significantly change, aside from losing our main (and often only) goalscorer for free. We spent £4m ish net last summer, that was a generous window for Venkys so we aren't going to suddenly be a level up next season.

• Like 3

Been saying that the two teams which are least crap will limp into the top 6. Having witnessed the second half display on Monday,I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. 

Preston's run in is as tough as ours, Millwall's looks easiest on paper but they've both us and Preston to play. 

One thing giving me confidence, if we do actually make the cut, is our form this season in the cups. If we could replicate that knockout form in the play offs, we'd have as much chance as any other team. 

• Like 1

Going up as playoff winners.

It's a heart based punt as I want JDT to finish way above the previous.

Also FFS Luton and Millwall, garbage baggers.

Boro are imploding and are an average team of overachievers.

Nothing to fear but fear itself.

If we fail JDT is blameless, indeed he has already exceeded my expectations.

GB too in part, he should have landed a striker.

Forest know what went on in the January debacle and so does the Cat who's the one who knows who spilt the milk.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

This is probably our best and only chance for a long time.  It will be unforgivable if we fuck this up. I've gone for we will do it but we won't win in the play offs 

What you're effectively saying there is that back in the summer when JDT was appointed, you expected a top 6 finish. That's not right is it? If you did, you were in a minority!

8 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

What you're effectively saying there is that back in the summer when JDT was appointed, you expected a top 6 finish. That's not right is it? If you did, you were in a minority!

I'm saying after being in the top 6 all season 

12 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Unforgivable is over the top, but we didn't last season yet think how we reacted then.

I’ve voted in hope more than expectation.

That said I’ll actually be really annoyed if we don’t make the playoffs. It looks like four from Luton, Boro, Millwall, PNE, Norwich, Coventry, Sunderland and us, so it really shouldn’t be beyond us. Not a lot of parachute payments among that lot, and I wouldn’t be clamouring to swap squads with many.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I’ve voted in hope more than expectation.

That said I’ll actually be really annoyed if we don’t make the playoffs. It looks like four from Luton, Boro, Millwall, PNE, Norwich, Coventry, Sunderland and us, so it really shouldn’t be beyond us. Not a lot of parachute payments among that lot, and I wouldn’t be clamouring to swap squads with many.

Luton probably only need another point or two. They've probably got enough already. Boro probably need a win and a draw. 

Realistically only 5th and 6th spots are up for grabs, with 7 teams in the mix, from Millwall down to WBA. 

image.png.96c4840d7ade56f2434212253c3ab542.png

With Millwall, PNE and Cov still to play we are in control of our own destiny. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Forest know what went on in the January debacle and so does the Cat who's the one who knows who spilt the milk.

Boro imploding? Granted they lost to Huddersfield and that lot down the road (like most have), but I wouldn't go that far. They've easily got the most goals in them out of the play off hopefuls. 24 goals scored in their last 10 games, by comparison we've scored 13.....

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Everyone's having an mini-implosion, except PNE and Luton. Every other play-off contender has won 1 out of the last 5 they've played. Nobbers have won 5 of their last 6. Lets see how the Nobbers do now the pressure is on.

• Like 1