BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm past worrying about today's result.

I couldn't sleep last night, finally got asleep about 6 am for 4 hours and have spent all day doing house chores* to stop thinking about the match.

Sat down now, cup of coffee to chill out I can't help but think at 72 years on this planet and at least 65 of those following Rovers there has to be better things to do than worry about something I can't control.

JDT will pick his team and I'm sure I will be less than pleased to see Dolan as a fake 9, upset by Brereton falling on his arse when trying a shot or plain diving, any attempt at pissing around at the back and more.

But I can't do anything about it. What will be will be, and if I don't like what I see I can switch off or over.

Good luck to JDT, players and fans today.

COYB

* An ice bound fridge defrosted, floor swept and mopped .... I'll take that as today's positive if results go against us.

It does still sound like you’re worrying…

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RVRVRS said:

I don’t get the negativity, we are way above were we should be with our budget and players that we have.

let’s just enjoy today, get behind the team win lose or draw. 

it’s been an inconsistent season, I would love the play offs but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t make it.

You can’t be above where you should be…

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Why were we playing with a white ball ?

Back in those days we probably couldn't afford to buy half a dozen orange ones!!! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, berkshireblue said:

Optimistic

Our luck will change 3 nil, beat Millwall , beat Luton over 2 legs and then blast a last minute winner pass the shithouse Cov keeper at  Wemberlee 

Would be sweet - would have a flutter on that if there was an acca market!

37 minutes ago, Ricky said:

So the two games you quoted were games that Dolan played well from the left yet you advocate playing him through the middle today.

I think that’s the point people are making (well I am anyway). Dolan has been far better out wide so can’t understand why you would put him through the middle again.

Id play him but not through the middle 

Nail on head - the lad simply doesn't have a striker's instinct.  You either have an eye / nose for goal or you don't.  Leonard has shown he has - unlucky not to come away with 3 goals from 2 cameo performances.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, DE. said:

We're on a winless run of 8, one of if not the worst run of form in the division, and we've gone from 3rd a few months ago to 8th now with an outside chance of getting into 6th - the second season in a row in which we've let a golden opportunity slip. How can one not understand a generally pessimistic outlook with those facts in mind?

As far as us being way above where we should be - why? Are there that many  teams below us with significantly more budget, better players or a better overall setup than us? Past history would suggest not. We've been upper mid-table for the vast majority of the season two seasons in a row now, so it only makes sense to place us in that bracket in our current state. Are Coventry, Millwall and Luton in a much healthier place than us in terms of budget and players? They aren't using these issues as an excuse not to excel. It's Luton's second season in a row in the top six - 6th last year and likely 3rd this year. 

We don't need to accept mediocrity, and we shouldn't accept it either. We have a £7m and £5m strikeforce. We were close to signing a PL striker in Undav on loan and prepared to pay O'Briens PL wages in January, before our recruitment team ballsed up the paperwork, so we haven't exactly been shopping in the bargain basement over the years.

Today's likely 11:

Pears £300k (or TK, free?)

JRC - academy

Carter - academy

Hyam - £1.6m

Pickering - free

A Wharton - academy 

Travis - academy

Hedges - free (or Thomas, loan)

Dolan - free

Dack - £500k (or Szmodics £1.6m?)

BBD £5m - £7m (or Leonard, academy)

Let's face it, the big fees are outliers, in many people's eyes costly mistakes.

Factor in the likes of Buckley (academy), Morton (loan), S Wharton (academy), Ayala (free), Garrett (academy), Phillip's (academy) plus of course Gallagher, and the frugality massively outweighs the splurges.

With a new management team w/o Championship experience, hamstrung by a dysfunctional admin team & disinterested owners, and it puts things a little more into perspective IMO.

• Like 3

We'll do them today, by 3 or 4.

Early goal to settle us down and young Adam will have them on strings for 90 minutes.

Also a first goal for Leonard today, heard it here first.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

The ref for our match is Darren England - I’ve no idea if that’s good or bad…

I've no idea either but I hope he's better than Darren Ireland, who was rubbish the last time he reffed us, Darren Scotland who was no better and Darren Wales who was the worst of the lot. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Today's likely 11:

JRC - academy

Carter - academy

Hyam - £1.6m

Pickering - free

A Wharton - academy 

Travis - academy

Dolan - free

Let's face it, the big fees are outliers, in many people's eyes costly mistakes.

Factor in the likes of Buckley (academy), Morton (loan), S Wharton (academy), Ayala (free), Garrett (academy), Phillip's (academy) plus of course Gallagher, and the frugality massively outweighs the splurges.

With a new management team w/o Championship experience, hamstrung by a dysfunctional admin team & disinterested owners, and it puts things a little more into perspective IMO.

Hedges was £200k. I think Kaminski was £300k.

Edited by Exiled_Rover

8 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Today's likely 11:

JRC - academy

Carter - academy

Hyam - £1.6m

Pickering - free

A Wharton - academy 

Travis - academy

Dolan - free

Do that for our opponents over the next two games as well and you’ll get another perspective.

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I've no idea either but I hope he's better than Darren Ireland, who was rubbish the last time he reffed us, Darren Scotland who was no better and Darren Wales who was the worst of the lot. 

Looks like he’s mainly a premier league ref - his last match was Southampton v Bournemouth (27 April)

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Managers that have had time to assemble their own squads?

Yeah good point.  I mean, Luton only appointed Edwards in November, but other than that 👍👍

Edited by Hasta

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Looks like he’s mainly a premier league ref - his last match was Southampton v Bournemouth (27 April)

He is a Select Group One referee and predominantly operates on the Premier League and as a VAR as well as being on the International list. My only fear about referees 'dropping down' a league or two is that some think they are too good to do this and take this attitude into the game. We shall see.

18 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Today's likely 11:

JRC - academy

Carter - academy

Hyam - £1.6m

Pickering - free

A Wharton - academy 

Travis - academy

Dolan - free

Wage bill shouldn't be discounted. I bet ours is a fair bit higher than Luton's.

20 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Do that for our opponents over the next two games as well and you’ll get another perspective.

Luton’s last line up

Horvath - on loan 

Lockyer - undisclosed

Bradley  - free

Bell - free

Drameh  - loan 

Mpanzu - undisclosed (but Luton were non league at the time!)

Nakamba-  loan 

Campbell - undisclosed 

Doughty - undisclosed 

Morris   - £2 million 

Adebayo - undisclosed 

edited - I left Bell out!

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He is a Select Group One referee and predominantly operates on the Premier League and as a VAR as well as being on the International list. My only fear about referees 'dropping down' a league or two is that some  think they are too good to do this and take this attitude into the game. We shall see.

Same as players who drop down then…