BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

They are another club like us who needs a striker signing along with several other teams 

I’ve got the feeling that most teams in this division are looking for striker. Are they really that hard to come by? Or are expectations from fans and club (20 goals a season) a bit high when you look at the money on offer? 

24 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

A Armstrong already back in the goals now he's back at his level (and that's not a dig! He's a brilliant player in this league and it's not like it's an easy league) 

He's up there with leading goal scorers now with three, although two were penalties today and last weeks deflection he knew nothing of. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Overall view...

Coventry smashed Boro, who have had a really poor start to the season with two defeats and as of yet no goals.

Good win for Birmingham against Leeds, who don't look from the first two games like they're a class above anyone in the division.

After last week's disaster of a result and eulogies being written for Ainsworth, QPR got a solid 2-1 away win against Cardiff.

Leicester managed a narrow 1-0 win away win at Huddersfield. Third defeat in all competitions for Huddersfield, looking like another difficult season ahead for them. Leicester with two wins out of two so far.

Hull with a 4-2 win over Sheff Weds, who also look destined to struggle this season.

Ipswich with a 2-0 win over Stoke - 22 shots to Stoke's 9, also 10 on target versus just 2. Great start to the season for Ipswich, really poor result and performance for Stoke though.

Narrow 1-0 defeat for Millwall at home to Bristol City. 

Sunderland with another defeat at Preston, 2-1. Struggling to score and defend, it's looking a bit worrying for Sunderland at the moment. 

Cracker of a game between Southampton and Norwich, 4-4. Southampton can score, but seem to be pretty shaky defensively. 

Another excellent result for Plymouth, getting a point away at Watford. 

Looks like it was a good game at the Hawthorns as well, with WBA narrowing out Swansea with a 3-2 win. Another two teams who seem unable to defend very well.

Early signs are that it's going to be wide open this season. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, DE. said:

Overall view...

Coventry smashed Boro, who have had a really poor start to the season with two defeats and as of yet no goals.

Good win for Birmingham against Leeds, who don't look from the first two games like they're a class above anyone in the division.

After last week's disaster of a result and eulogies being written for Ainsworth, QPR got a solid 2-1 away win against Cardiff.

Leicester managed a narrow 1-0 win away win at Huddersfield. Third defeat in all competitions for Huddersfield, looking like another difficult season ahead for them. Leicester with two wins out of two so far.

Hull with a 4-2 win over Sheff Weds, who also look destined to struggle this season.

Ipswich with a 2-0 win over Stoke - 22 shots to Stoke's 9, also 10 on target versus just 2. Great start to the season for Ipswich, really poor result and performance for Stoke though.

Narrow 1-0 defeat for Millwall at home to Bristol City. 

Sunderland with another defeat at Preston, 2-1. Struggling to score and defend, it's looking a bit worrying for Sunderland at the moment. 

Cracker of a game between Southampton and Norwich, 4-4. Southampton can score, but seem to be pretty shaky defensively. 

Another excellent result for Plymouth, getting a point away at Watford. 

Looks like it was a good game at the Hawthorns as well, with WBA narrowing out Swansea with a 3-2 win. Another two teams who seem unable to defend very well.

Early signs are that it's going to be wide open this season. 

It'll settle down - take us, for example, our manager is still expecting 4 new players to be brought in. Squads aren't decided yet.

57 minutes ago, moerpho said:

I’ve got the feeling that most teams in this division are looking for striker. Are they really that hard to come by? Or are expectations from fans and club (20 goals a season) a bit high when you look at the money on offer? 

Yes plenty of teams want a striker before the deadline. Rovers, PNE, Stoke, Plymouth, Boro, Sunderland are all examples of clubs who want one. Comes down to finances and whether you are looking to buy or loan this striker signings. Plus relying on other clubs and they wanting to bring in another striker 

• Like 1

Could come back to bite me but I reckon only Leicester will be a real force this season - ala Burnley from last year. Too much talent to bugger things up you would think. I’m not convinced on Martin’s ability to get the best out of that Saints side, whilst Leeds’ squad looks so unbalanced with numerous off the pitch issues. 

I think a play-off position is absolutely there for the taking this season - once again - for any team with a half decent manager and side. I still think we’re two starting positions (CF/RW) away from that being us. Like others, I’m also starting to worry about our lack of physicality against the big sides too. Only two 6 footers in your side is going to represent real problems against the canny managers in the Championship.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, danger19_80 said:

Would be interested to know how the likes of Adams and Armstrong reconcile being so good at this level but so poor at the one above 

Has he been good at this level? Two penalties and a ball glancing off the back of his head.

From what I've seen he's looked lost.

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Guaranteed he'll score a hat trick at Ewood.

Armstrong has scored one which glanced his head without him knowing and two penalties.

If Martin doesn't use whatever is given him from transfer fees to buy a completely new defence, Southampton are going to struggle.

33 minutes ago, philipl said:

Armstrong has scored one which glanced his head without him knowing and two penalties.

If Martin doesn't use whatever is given him from transfer fees to buy a completely new defence, Southampton are going to struggle.

Did I forget to mention that we will score 6?

20 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Could come back to bite me but I reckon only Leicester will be a real force this season - ala Burnley from last year. Too much talent to bugger things up you would think. I’m not convinced on Martin’s ability to get the best out of that Saints side, whilst Leeds’ squad looks so unbalanced with numerous off the pitch issues. 

I think a play-off position is absolutely there for the taking this season - once again - for any team with a half decent manager and side. I still think we’re two starting positions (CF/RW) away from that being us. Like others, I’m also starting to worry about our lack of physicality against the big sides too. Only two 6 footers in your side is going to represent real problems against the canny managers in the Championship.

Agreed with Leicester. Fixure wise I don't think it's been the toughest start to the season for them, but their squad is packed with quality. 

Leeds look as though they're in crisis. Any decent players are refusing to play. Farke has a job on his hands.

Russell Martin may be the undoing of Southampton. If his style works then they will be a force as they're also packed with quality.

The team who have really impressed me so far are Norwich. They should have hammered Hull. Amazing it only finished 2-1. It could have been 5-0 on another day. They should have beaten Southampton too. The last minute equalising penalty was very soft and Shane Duffy with a brain fart moment for the first. Both Sara and Jon Rowe look like they could tear any defence in this league apart. 

Leicester should go up, although they rode their luck at times at Huddersfield.

Leeds might need a year in transition, Southampton at times looked excellent at Sheffield Wednesday but seem to have a soft underbelly. Extremely lucky to get a draw vs Norwich - that 2nd penalty was never a foul in a million years imo. Norwich look pretty strong though as well, can see them going well.

As for other promotion contenders - Sunderland seem to be going backwards, and West Brom look similar to last year. The jury's still out on Watford, whilst Ipswich have started strongly. I didn't catch all the Coventry game, but they were apparently brilliant first half. Second half they barely attacked but got 2 goals on the break - that new winger looks a good un. Stoke already looking inconsistent, Birmingham potential dark horses and Millwall followed up an impressive away win with an equally tepid home defeat. Boro look powderpuff in front of goal but could easily spend the Akpom money on someone to solve that problem. 

To summarise - not a bloody clue! It seems to be as wide open as ever. No reason we can't break in with a few signings, which I appreciate is a big ask atm. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

Remember two play off places last season were taken by Boro and Coventry who were both in relegation slots in October. 

All that can be said conclusively is two games have been played so far.

But the current Southampton defence is still leaky...

You could be a pundit with that sort of insightful comment. 😀

• Like 1