BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Irreverent Transfer Window Thread (& biscuits, bread and any other nonsense to pass the time)

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Much more fun than the transfers thread. So many food memories coming back when it suddenly struck me that within half a mile of home there are: 

- supermarkets with Italian, Spanish, Thai, Malay, Polish, Russian, Chinese sections

- Bulgarian food shop

- a fantastic large Asian food supermarket

- brilliant Dutch fish and Chips

- Estonian, Hungarian, Lebanese, Greek, Australian, Brazilian, Peruvian restaurants (plus all the Italian, Turkish, Chinese, Indian and fusion places, even Maltese...)

- M&S selling all their own brand stuff sourced outside the UK

Basically Britain has disappeared off the face of the retail earth in the last 7 years.

PS whenever I am in the UK, I make a point of eating a Melton Mowbray pork pie- is it just me having inflated memories of how good they used to be or have they gone down hill terribly?

To save me researching it 😀 - what is traditional Maltese food?

Top to bottom;

Pastizzi are filo pastry filled with either ricotta cheese or mushy peas

Qassat are short crust pastry with either ricotta cheese or mushy peas or spinach laced with anchovies

Timpana is macaroni in bolognaise sauce baked in a pie

Maltese will also bake your cheeseburger patty with onions in a pie and sausages with cheese in a pie.

And yes Maltese kids are the fattest in Europe. There is the Mediterranean diet then there is Malta..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

Top to bottom;

Pastizzi are filo pastry filled with either ricotta cheese or mushy peas

Qassat are short crust pastry with either ricotta cheese or mushy peas or spinach laced with anchovies

Timpana is macaroni in bolognaise sauce baked in a pie

Maltese will also bake your cheeseburger patty with onions in a pie and sausages with cheese in a pie.

And yes Maltese kids are the fattest in Europe. There is the Mediterranean diet then there is Malta..

The one time I visited Malta I had the most amazing meat and potato pie from a little bakery in Valletta. Maybe the best pie I’ve ever had. The girlfriend had one of those Timpana pies, but she thought it had rabbit in so didn’t really enjoy it. 

Edit: found a photo I took of the pie shop! 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.11c6d6b441280e71f7aa8c2b84ef0756.jpeg

Edited by Dan

Just now, Dan said:

The one time I visited Malta I had the most amazing meat and potato pie from a little bakery in Valletta. Maybe the best pie I’ve ever had. The girlfriend had one of those Timpana pies, but she thought it had rabbit in so didn’t really enjoy it. 

Yes, the pies can be exceptional- they have enough practice baking them!

I doubt Timpana would have rabbit because rabbit doesn't have a strong enough flavour to go in a bolognaise type sauce successfully.

3 hours ago, KentExile said:

No such thing as off topic on this thread 😉

YES, especially pickled onion flavour

Have they shrunk though or have I just grown?

They most likely have shrunk, though I can't say for definite. I haven't had Monster Munch in years, but the crisp packets that I do open are half air, half product.

Remember when crisp packets used to be almost full? Even the big sharing packs are it these days. Starting at a touch over half full.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

They most likely have shrunk, though I can't say for definite. I haven't had Monster Munch in years, but the crisp packets that I do open are half air, half product.

Remember when crisp packets used to be almost full? Even the big sharing packs are it these days. Starting at a touch over half full.

oh for the heady days of full crisp packets

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dreyski said:

Skips 👍

Wotsits 🤢

Anyone else remember 'Hedgehog' flavoured crisps?

I just had to google that because I thought you were extracting the urine, lol

Seems they were discontinued before I was on solid foods

Edited by KentExile

On 26/07/2023 at 09:14, jim mk2 said:

1. Chocolate always in fridge. Cadbury's only

2. Diagonally, it's the best thing since sliced bread

Cadbury chocolate shit since the yanks took it over. I’d sooner have Aldi or Lidle chocolate. Has anyone had Hersey crap. I wouldn’t feed it to a six fingered cousin

4 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Cadbury chocolate shit since the yanks took it over. I’d sooner have Aldi or Lidle chocolate. Has anyone had Hersey crap. I wouldn’t feed it to a six fingered cousin

Have to say I haven’t noticed a difference. Irish Cadbury tastes different, creamier. Hershey’s is horrible stuff compared to Cadbury 

On 26/07/2023 at 20:56, philipl said:

Back before my first marriage I took a young lady to a lovely restaurant in Annecy.

I completely lost it on the cheese board- Epoisses, Vacherin de Mont d'or and Reblochon all in their most perfect gooey stinky perfection accompanied by a perfectly golden Sauternes.

Poor girl realised cheese could give me far more pleasure than ever she could.

So you didn’t discover her love of the taste of of freshly prepared cheese desert!!!

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Skips. Dirty bastards. Some fruitcake at school use to make a Skips butty. 🤢

Space Raiders. Now there was a quality snack for a low budget.

if you lost all your money in the dinner time cardschool you could always rely on space raiders to bail out your hunger,are they still 10p a bag😀

• Like 1