BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

4000 Holes podcast - Simon Garner - “One Last Shot”

25 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Gutted I missed this era.

Seems like it was a great time to follow Rovers. A club you could really be proud of and cult heroes. 

At the top of the list is the one and only Simon Garner.

Legend and cult hero gets thrown around on a whim now but this guy was both.

Loved just playing for Rovers and living in the town, hated Burnley and they hated him which was quite ironic seeing as we hardly ever played them.

They once even ram raided his shop !

Not on the same level as a player but second best finisher iv'e seen at Rovers behind Shearer.

• Like 4

I though he scored all 3 of the pens ?

As for his off field habits it may have put off a few top clubs - Liverpool were looking at him once but wanted someone bigger - however that lifestyle was par for the course in those days.

Bigger pisspot, more unfit players than Garner had decent top flight careers.

I think it was just an era where there were a lot of good strikers around and clubs preferred big target men types in top flight. Also players tended to stay with clubs and play most games non of this rotating 20 subs giant squads stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it was often said,we did`nt buy scott sellars we stole him.25k for a top quality winger who could beat a player both ways and had a sweet left foot,how did we not get promoted with that excellent line up in 89,im`e still trying to work out how we ****** it up against palace😰

George fucking Courtney 

• Like 3

And the Don cared. We were all in it together and they were great days. It's hope and togetherness that makes football. When was the last time we had that.

It was Bobby who signed sellars though. £25l if I remember rightly. Why leeds let him go I'll never know. There's a YouTube clip of him scoring a belter for Leeds, I'll find it in a mo. Played u21 for England once getting subbed on for gazza

https://youtu.be/nOMV84V-cmo

Edited by broadsword
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, broadsword said:

And the Don cared. We were all in it together and they were great days. It's hope and togetherness that makes football. When was the last time we had that.

It was Bobby who signed sellars though. £25l if I remember rightly. Why legs let him go I'll never know. There's a YouTube clip of him scoring a belter for Leeds, I'll find it in a mo. Played u21 for England once getting subbed on for gazza

https://youtu.be/nOMV84V-cmo

Was 'legs' Eddie Gray?

43 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I've always thought The Don criminally underrated as a manager. 

I loved the guy he was no nonsense straight talker and he fell out with fans a time or two he wasn't afraid to say get behind the lads and stop moaning FFS.

Fans always responded though because they respected him and he had us batting at the right end of the table and some decent football.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, broadsword said:

Leeds. I'm off sick from work at the mo and my typing has gone.

Think Bremner was their manager at the time 

Ah right, I just rememebr a story about Gray not rating Sellars. Checked wiki and Gray was manager until '85 so it may well have been BB that sold him to Rovers. 

14 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Bit off topic but what was the deal with ossie ardiles signing? How did rovers convince him to join and how did he perform? A bit before my time 

have no idea how the don managed to persuade him,his impact however was curtailed by a nasty tackle by future rover nicky marker,it put him out for a couple of months

we did sign steve archibald on loan at the same time,he was a class act

• Like 1