BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Bromwich Albion (H) - 05/08/2023

Absolutely brilliant win to start the season. May have been a sloppy start but once Rovers got in front they seemed to be the better side overall.

Delighted for the two goal scorers. Perfect for both of them to stake their claim this season and I'd love to see them kick on, as we all would!

There's definitely need for a couple more attacking players IMO, these are still young lads and inexperienced at this level. What we're crying out for is a couple of experienced heads to complement this young and exciting group.

Off the pitch we may be having problems but you can't really argue with the commitment and effort being put in on it.

On to Rotherham away and to right the wrongs of last season!

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, neophox said:

Carter will be worth more than £10m hope he's tied up on a long contract along with Leonard. On Wharton I think we have the best midfelder in the Championship. He looked more athletic than last season!

A bit early in the season to get overly excited but do we see signs of a new spine emerging...?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, deanives said:

Do we need another centre forward? Will Leonard continue to improve, look at the positions he got in today and his work rate, absolutely fantastic! 

I feel if we bought one this would push Leonard down the pecking order, he needs the game time and confidence. 

Either that or we ship Gallagher off and have Leonard and another CF

We definitely need another forward.  Can't make the same mistake as January in thinking Diaz would continue his form when it dropped off so badly.  We can't put that pressure on Leonard 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, deanives said:

Do we need another centre forward? Will Leonard continue to improve, look at the positions he got in today and his work rate, absolutely fantastic! 

I feel if we bought one this would push Leonard down the pecking order, he needs the game time and confidence. 

Either that or we ship Gallagher off and have Leonard and another CF

Course we need another senior centre forward/striker, it's a loooong arse season.... 

Don't be putting silly ideas/excuses into Greggs head!! 😅😅

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

Haven't read any other post on the game so apologies if I repeat anything! It was a great start to the season. For around 20 minutes I thought it might not be, we were rarely in their half. For all that, we suddenly scored 2 in a minute and the game was transformed.Both were nicely worked and scored from close in and on an angle. I thought Leonard's was probably more difficult than Markandy's.

Second half we were all over them and I was thinking would it be 3 or 4? We wasted 2 or 3 very clear chances one from the pass of the year from Wharton and then let them back into it with sloppy, suicidal pissing about with the ball in our own area.

Even then we didn't learn the lesson and continued to give us heart flutter.

9 minutes extra time added to the drama with memories of Preston and Coventry flooding back.

However we finished comfortably to earn 3 points.

Some talking points---Markandy scored his first goal and I'm delighted about that but he didn't do too much else. He is simply too lightweight to be effective in this league right now.

Wharton showed his class when he came on but played some poor passes as well, really lackadaisical.

Hyam and Carter were outstanding in defence, Hyam finished the game with an injury---hope it isn't serious.

JRC off in 2nd half with injury, had been playing well.

Dolan was outstanding, seems stronger defensively, never stopped running and challenging. Produced some trickery.

Great to see Leonard score, he certainly put himself about.

Missing--- a big central striker but we all knew that.

Ref---inconsistent, no way did we deserve 4 yellows, Carter's was particularly annoying.

Support was terrific, Very few seats vacant in Blackburn End or in the whole of the Jack Walker.

All in all very happy opening day of the season!

• Like 6

Two good performances in a row, this teams beginning to gel. Leonard and Markanday on target again, but we nearly paid the price when we missedd 2 golden opportunities, slack defending from Rovers to let West Brom back in it, the defence stood off while Phillips slotted the ball in the net. Good performance Rovers let's hope it continues.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Course we need another senior centre forward/striker, it's a loooong arse season.... 

Don't be putting silly ideas/excuses into Greggs head!! 😅😅

Don't forget Markanday, who's beginning to find his form. We have yet to see 90 minutes of Ennis who has just got over injury and wasn't match fit.

• Like 1

• Backroom
58 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Markanday allegedly has a great feet- I think his confidence is shot to shit at the moment so we're not seeing that.  However his workrate and tenacity is excellent and merits a place around the first 11, hopefully as time passes he'll gain more confidence. 

As it was his first game for us I think he did okay - scored a goal and was definitely trying, even if what he tried didn't come off too often. I think he's worth persevering with, and truth be told we don't have much choice at the moment anyway!

58 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Special mention to Leonard who I thought was phenomenal up against two monster CB's. Never shirked a challenge, put himself about, scored a great goal and held the ball up really well. He looks a proper forward. 

Basically the total opposite of what we saw from Vale in his appearances. Of the two Leonard seems streets ahead.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I am so happy to win our first game with what looked like an under strength team. Cometh the hour, cometh the men. Great result. . 
Keep Travis, get the Iceman fit, bring in another winger to spread the options and keep JDT. 

Job done

My thoughts exactly, a winger to whip crosses into the box. After saying that I thought we played well down the wings and got the ball in the danger zone several times.

7 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Don't forget Markanday, who's beginning to find his form. We have yet to see 90 minutes of Ennis who has just got over injury and wasn't match fit.

Yes I think Markanday Could be a real gem, both have lots of potential but I wouldn't class him as an out and out centre forward, as for ennis! God knows what to expect from him but I don't think he's going to be the true consistent goalscorer that we've been missing for years

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, deanives said:

IMO we absolutely do. Leonard showed today he's got what it takes to step up in this league and that's great, but he's a young lad and it's not fair to pin all of our hopes on him. He'll go through periods of good and bad form, as all young players do, and we need quality to rotate in that position. Leonard could also pick up an injury at any time, which would leave us in a difficult position - especially with Ennis' fitness a major question mark, and in my view at least Gallagher not being good enough to lead the line regularly.

At least one other decent striking option needed for me (ideally with Gallagher leaving) and a better RW option needed to challenge Dolan as well.

• Like 4

It’s great seeing how other rovers fans see how players performed outside of the obvious standouts. I think subconsciously fans have favourites and edge a bit of bias towards/against some players. Markanday and dolan namely the two so many contrasting views on how they performed today. For me both positions are up for grabs but a goal for markanday will do his confidence no harm def has a lot to improve on and dolan his work rate cannot be faulted but his final contribution decision making needs to be better 

• Like 2