BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Bromwich Albion (H) - 05/08/2023

35 minutes ago, deanives said:

Exactly, I feel like we need Gallagher to leave and bring a proven CF in, we then need another winger to compliment what we already have.

If we get them then I think we'd be serious contenders 

Wingers on loan from the premier league are abundant. Not worried about that, but a center forward to push Leonard would help 

Attendance would have been 16740 if I hadn't gone! 😄 Tried the Jack Walker upper for a change. Nearish to the front but still needing the eye of an eagle to see the players.

My thoughts......Dolan was terrible for most of the match. He has absolutely no end product. I could not believe how poor A Wharton was when he came on. He is obviously not match fit. Markanday was ok..ish. Needs more game time. Pears and back 4 were fantastic. Pickering is playing very well. Tron & Trav  solid. Szmodics & Leonard absolutely fabulous. Hedges and Brittain did ok.Have I missed anyone?

Delighted for the win and how we are playing as a team. Please don't leave us JDT. 

• Like 6

Absolutely bricking it before the game so a win vs a good championship team is very much appreciated. All the more so considering how thin the squad is. 

Delighted with the win but more than ever am aching that our owners aren't backing decently our best manager (bar big Sam) of their tenure. The squad is still paper thin and needs experience and cover as others have also pointed out. With that we could really go places - the desire is there, so is the effort, but we need more. Hopefully now a few sales have happened we can invest and go places. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

I thought Pickering had a great game against as dangerous a winger in the league as you'll see. You could forensically dismantle anyone's performance, especially if you're looking for it. 

He was a nightmare that guy. Built like a brick shithouse and really quick.

Markanday on the whole was frustrating but great at the same time. His size lets him down as he’s easily muscled off the ball…However, one of his strong points is defiantly his control. The ball almost sticks to his feet at times and he clearly has a wicked shot on him - Much rather he than Dolan in front of goal. 

A solid 7/10

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Absolutely made up today. 

Hyam was unreal, so composed, masterclass in defending. Carter along side is a top class talent aswell. 

Travis was excellent, linked play, pressed, a proper captain's performance. 

Tronstadt was ok, looks like he needs to get up to speed a bit but will do a thankless job in midfield by the looks of it. For a first performance I thought he was fine but can see him growing in confidence and showing us more. 

Pickering had a good game I thought, as did JRC, both solid. 

Dolan and Markanday did fine, worked hard and put the yards in. Can see more to come from Markanday and Dolan's work ethic was great as usual, would like him to get more shots off. Thought he quietly had a good game today. 

Leanord, big ask for him but got a goal, could of had a hat trick. Movement was clever, certainly didn't look out of his depth and battled well. I can certainly see the Jordan Rhodes comparisons. Shame he didn't take those chances because I think the confidence everyone would have in him (and his own) would have been astronomic.

Sammy was was Sammy, worth every penny of his wage every week. As much as folk might get teary eyed about Dack, there's absolutely no chance he would cover the ground this fella does. 

Little shout out to Brittain when he came on, perhaps it was because he was right in front of me but he was top class. Mugged off Soriento with a dummy and turned defence into attack brilliantly with a great cross field pass. The lad is WAY too good to be sat on the bench, they need to find a solution to that. 

The best way to describe us is a well drilled bunch of grafters. There's not much in the way of individual brilliance but I'm absolutely fine with that if we can keep doing the basics as well as we do. I see far too many teams with the odd individually brilliant player that aren't drilled and don't have any real methods. Our method is risky but it pays off from sheer crisp passing and work ethic, what more can you ask for? 

Be nice to see that marquee signing to come in, that has a bit of individual brilliance to add to the graft we have, just to give us a little something. I think this is a real statement from the manager to those in charge of the finances, to say "back me, we can smash this league". 

After a lot of talk over finances, today was a real display that higher wages doesn't guarantee you anything in the championship. Look at Swift sat on their bench on an absolute fortune, looked bang average when he came on, madness. 

Very proud of of that performance on so many levels. It was a performance deserving of 3 points that lifts the spirit of everyone and visual representation of what this club is built on...

ARTE ET LABORE!!!!

PXL_20230805_155833945.PORTRAIT.jpg

You’re a lot younger than I thought. 😂😂

• Like 9

good win today and things may not be as bad as i thought , I see the refs have not improved from last season and this adding 20% on at the end of the half is not going to last can you imagine how long burnley games are going to be they were long enough last season

3 hours ago, Andy said:

I don't think any of their shouts were valid.

The JRC one was the closest - VAR gives it, but it's never a penalty.

If VAR gives that it also gives one for us second half.  Think it might have been Sami who shot but it was going in and hit the defender's hand.  It would have been a very harsh decision  though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If VAR gives that it also gives one for us second half.  Think it might have been Sami who shot but it was going in and hit the defender's hand.  It would have been a very harsh decision  though.

We won, who gives a shit.

48 minutes ago, bazza said:

Attendance would have been 16740 if I hadn't gone! 😄 Tried the Jack Walker upper for a change. Nearish to the front but still needing the eye of an eagle to see the players.

My thoughts......Dolan was terrible for most of the match. He has absolutely no end product. I could not believe how poor A Wharton was when he came on. He is obviously not match fit. Markanday was ok..ish. Needs more game time. Pears and back 4 were fantastic. Pickering is playing very well. Tron & Trav  solid. Szmodics & Leonard absolutely fabulous. Hedges and Brittain did ok.Have I missed anyone?

Delighted for the win and how we are playing as a team. Please don't leave us JDT. 

I think Adam Wharton showed exactly what he is today. Some of his passes were sublime, some of them were awful bordering on dangerous. I would still have him starting every week.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We won, lock the thread.

That wouldn’t allow posters to give you a bloody nose on the gate debate 😂

But seriously, it’s been a good day, Ewood was a picture and we all went home happy.

Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed the game today.  Didn't expect much and by christ they had some big lads. 

Negatives:  Some very risky play at the back.  We need to just clear it sometimes. 

Tronstadt (sp) looked well off the pace initially but did improve a little as the half went on. 

Dolan was awful. 

Positives:  Great to see Markanday and leonard score.  I was surprised to see Leonard has a decent turn of pace and really put himself about against 2 giants.  

Thought the centrebacks were superb.

As a team, the work rate was excellent and when Wharton came on we played some scintillating stuff. The half volley through ball was unbelievable. 

Finally, I was delighted with how comfortably we saw out the last 9 minutes of extra time.  Really good game management. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

That wouldn’t allow posters to give you a bloody nose on the gate debate 😂

But seriously, it’s been a good day, Ewood was a picture and we all went home happy.

Onwards and upwards. 

My train was cancelled and it cost £40 for a taxi home, I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well that obviously didn’t happen, you were wrong as the stats showed. But I let you debate it with me anyway as you most kindly have allowed me to post on the cricket thread.

You’ve struggled with the gate debate, you never expected a bumper crowd today I’d wager, you were amazed against Girona when the numbers went over 5k and to put me on the hook, we’ve had no success and the gates are going up.

Long may that continue I say.

Edited by Gav

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

I think Adam Wharton showed exactly what he is today. Some of his passes were sublime, some of them were awful bordering on dangerous. I would still have him starting every week.

It's almost like he lost concentration after that backheel to Dolan (I think?) for the chance Leonard put wide. He played some sloppy passes after that and got caught in possession - got too full of himself, perhaps?

There's an absolute world beater of a player in there, he just needs to smooth out the rough edges - he played two passes in the first five minutes he was on the pitch that nobody else in that match could see or pull off. 

• Like 4

If there’s one thing I don’t struggle on it’s gates. Course I expected a good crowd, I literally said yesterday we’ll have c13k home fans, it was 13,800, a good turnout (like we had last season). We always get an opening day spike.

I hoped we’d have 3/4K for Girona, (my point that you missed as usual, was for Miller and crew not to be disheartened if they didn’t hit their target), we had 5k, *amazed*, I was. 🙄.

All these years on here and you are still crap at wind ups.

Edited by Mattyblue

10 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

By my reckoning, the second goal was 8 seconds after the restart, which makes it the fastest Rovers goal after a kick off I’ve ever seen. Can’t think of one anywhere near as quick.

Jim Fryatt

• Like 2