BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham (a) - 12/08/2023

• Backroom
Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

Is Szmodics had put us in the lead from the pen I think it would have been a different game. 

Still a good comeback. 

I agree, just a shame that penalty miss seemed to absolutely wreck us mentally, especially Szmodics. Last season we would not have come back at all though, so there is some improvement.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

I agree, just a shame that penalty miss seemed to absolutely wreck us mentally, especially Szmodics. Last season we would not have come back at all though, so there is some improvement.

Well in the second half Szmodics turned it right....good character..

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Well, we showed some bollocks at least. Excellent comeback at our bogey ground.

We would definitely have lost that last season. 

Unbeaten start to the season. 

Still lack quality up front. 

I'd love a PROPER #9, but if you're only giving me one player upfront I'm throwing everything at a quick RW. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

One thing I will say, we definitely need to play alot better then that in our next few games, we lacked urgency and looked so poor today for the first 70 minutes, good come back but aided very much by a bizzare ref performance 

It won't be bizarre by the end of the season, I reckon it'll be very much the norm. There's going to be a lot of red cards for dissent.

• Like 3

I was really worried at half time that our young players would get a dip in confidence if we were to lose. Thankfully we managed to avoid that scenario and a draw away from home, on a bad day in a bogey ground  is more than acceptable. We have a very good coach/manager in JDT that is overperfoming with this quad if. 

For some context: saw a lot of fans bigging up Boro before the season….now look at how they started this season. We would be fuming! Same goes for Sunderland and Leeds. I will enjoy this as long as this lasts. JDTs blue and white army!

• Like 5

Why would you not put that corner in to the box? It's the last kick of the game! The lack of urgency there says a lot about some of them.

We looked done at 2-0, so will take a point. That's twice Hedges has come on to have more impact than the man he has replaced. He's better than Dolan and Markanday imo, though that isn't exactly a high bar.

Better second halves from Szmodics and JRC, and Ennis offers something different. The wide areas need a lot of work before the month is out.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Agreed. JRC is quality running into those spaces. 

Thought Ennis was ok...but he's another who runs in treacle. 

Hedges just has no right foot. Play him on the left or not at all.  Thought he was disappointing tbh. 

Yeah, Ennis is deceptively slow isn't he?

I thought Hedges was fine - provided us with some width and control, but he's all left foot - and sadly it's not a wand. 

• Like 2

Just now, SuperBrfc said:

Why would you not put that corner in to the box? It's the last kick of the game! The lack of urgency there says a lot about some of them.

We looked done at 2-0, so will take a point. That's twice Hedges has come on to have more impact than the man he has replaced. He's better than Dolan and Markanday imo, though that isn't exactly a high bar.

Better second halves from Szmodics and JRC, and Ennis offers something different. The wide areas need a lot of work before the month is out.

And even after the short corner, Buckley still had a chance to put it in the box and didn't.

Would like to have seen Gilsenan on the bench today. I think he would have offered something in the wide areas. He looks a better player than Dolan.

• Like 4

A word on Travis: he started out really bright and was grafting well, finding space in the channels to stretch them and caused a lot of problems. He put himself about well and was unlucky not to have got their #3 sent off, which was a clear and blatant elbow, out of frustration. VAR sends him off.

Having said that, he was too casual with Szmodics after his penalty miss (needed something more than “it’s alright, mate, chin up,”) and went missing after the first goal. This is where the issue is for me. He’s got the armband, but he’s not the captain. I think Hyam would be a steady shout for it, but clearly JDT saw something in Szmodics at half time that made him comfortable keeping him on and whatever that is is what helped him come out and score two goals in the second half - two good goals - after one of the worst first-half performances I’ve seen in a Rovers shirt (and I was there for all of Corrado Grabbi.)

It must be hard to change captain mid-season, but if there is a change for whatever reason, I think Szmodics looks the right choice, from what we see on the pitch.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SuperBrfc said:

Yeah Hedges is better than Markanday and Dolan and should be starting over them.

I assume JDT picked the same team (besides Tronstad) as they won the first game and he tries to reward that. He'll have to make changes for the next match, Dolan and Markanday offer very little out wide. 

1 minute ago, SuperBrfc said:

Harsh. They are playing to instruction. 

Every corner last week was played short too. 

I presume because we are a small team we don't offer any threat by just wanging it in the box. So we are trying something else. It's not working mind. Our corners are awful. A few times last week they ended up back with Pears. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bethnal said:

A word on Travis: he started out really bright and was grafting well, finding space in the channels to stretch them and caused a lot of problems. He put himself about well and was unlucky not to have got their #3 sent off, which was a clear and blatant elbow, out of frustration. VAR sends him off.

Having said that, he was too casual with Szmodics after his penalty miss (needed something more than “it’s alright, mate, chin up,”) and went missing after the first goal. This is where the issue is for me. He’s got the armband, but he’s not the captain. I think Hyam would be a steady shout for it, but clearly JDT saw something in Szmodics at half time that made him comfortable keeping him on and whatever that is is what helped him come out and score two goals in the second half - two good goals - after one of the worst first-half performances I’ve seen in a Rovers shirt (and I was there for all of Corrado Grabbi.)

It must be hard to change captain mid-season, but if there is a change for whatever reason, I think Szmodics looks the right choice, from what we see on the pitch.

I think Szmodics is too much of a 'cheeky-chap' to be captain. Let him just get on with his game and lead by example, he's not the player you want representing the team. JRC would be my shout. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, booth said:

It won't be bizarre by the end of the season, I reckon it'll be very much the norm. There's going to be a lot of red cards for dissent.

That red (second yellow) was given due to their player waving an imaginary card. That’s a bootable offense this season. The ref did his job and I’m sure that will be the punishment every time. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think Szmodics is too much of a 'cheeky-chap' to be captain. Let him just get on with his game and lead by example, he's not the player you want representing the team. JRC would be my shout. 

Hyam for me. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, lraC said:

That red (second yellow) was given due to their player waving an imaginary card. That’s a bootable offense this season. The ref did his job and I’m sure that will be the punishment every time. 

I hope so, it's the only way players and coaches will learn.

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I hear what you’re saying, I just think he leads by example and he’s vocal and has visibly high standards. He holds people accountable on the pitch and I think that’s the role. He’s also amongst the action all the time.

I like JRC a lot, but he just strikes me as a bit of a mard-arse, sometimes.