BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

What about everyone's "guilty pleasure" artists? You know, those you secretly like: Don't necessarily buy their albums, but when you are alone and a song comes on the radio, you crank it up and sing along, but would be ashamed if anyone caught you. Mine would include Bobby Brown, Celine Dion and Barry Manilow (but no, I'm not a Fanilow).

i hate to admit it, but i think both the beddingfields are well deserving of their recent praise! and i quite like bon jovi too. ohmy.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who like hip-hop, I recommend the Beastie Boys' To the 5 Boroughs and Jurassic 5's full studio debut Quality Control. Both are fantastic samples of the genre.

i wouldnt say 5 boroughs is representitive of the genre. Im having a lot of trouble getting into it. Pauls Boutique is my favourite beasties album by a mile

Quality Control is absolutely amazing, i agree with that!!

For those who like hip-hop, I recommend the Beastie Boys' To the 5 Boroughs and Jurassic 5's full studio debut Quality Control. Both are fantastic samples of the genre.

i wouldnt say 5 boroughs is representitive of the genre. Im having a lot of trouble getting into it. Pauls Boutique is my favourite beasties album by a mile

Lucky that I said it was only a sample then.

All of J5's stuff is brilliant though. I was fortunate enough to see them in my Students Union 2 years ago. It was one of the best concerts I've been to, top class hip-hop. I also Nu-Mark last summer in the Belfast Empire. J5 (along with the black guy from Dilated Peoples-I also saw them in the same venue in June) were also there to lend their DJ a hand. Outstanding stuff altogether.

Edited by Rovermatt

EDIT>

PS "Magic The Gathering"  blink.gif huh?

In reference to the kind of music which portrays mythical elements like forlorn vales etc; listened to by blokes with long hair, in comic book shops, who wear heavy metal t-shirts who play...Magic the Gathering. I know that's slightly complex, but there you go. wink.gif

Ok I've never heard of Magic the Gathering. Probably because I don't spend my time in comic shops. But I do have long hair and wear Heavy Metal t-shirts, so two cliches of three is not bad I guess. rolleyes.gif

On a related note - just back from Nightwish. What a tremendous gig. Keep your Jay-Z/Linkin Park, thanks all the same.

EDIT>

PS "Magic The Gathering"  blink.gif huh?

In reference to the kind of music which portrays mythical elements like forlorn vales etc; listened to by blokes with long hair, in comic book shops, who wear heavy metal t-shirts who play...Magic the Gathering. I know that's slightly complex, but there you go. wink.gif

Ok I've never heard of Magic the Gathering. Probably because I don't spend my time in comic shops. But I do have long hair and wear Heavy Metal t-shirts, so two cliches of three is not bad I guess. rolleyes.gif

On a related note - just back from Nightwish. What a tremendous gig. Keep your Jay-Z/Linkin Park, thanks all the same.

Two cliches is better than no cliches don't you think?

As for Jay-Z/Linkin Park, they're alright I suppose, but they sell way too many albums for my taste. wink.gif

All of J5's stuff is brilliant though. I was fortunate enough to see them in my Students Union 2 years ago. It was one of the best concerts I've been to, top class hip-hop. I also Nu-Mark last summer in the Belfast Empire. J5 (along with the black guy from Dilated Peoples-I also saw them in the same venue in June) were also there to lend their DJ a hand. Outstanding stuff altogether.

Please listen to the following acts (sorry if i sound patronising, but ive never met a brit thats heard of all four!):

IAM

Saian Supa Crew

Supreme Ntm

Waxolutionists.

Anyone thats into melodic hip hop should dig these acts. Unfortunately ive never found their stuff in the UK (apart from HMV oxford st!) SSC work with Roots Manuva on a regs and IAM with Rahzel. These acts sell out football stadiums on the continent, but british attitudes mean they play to pub crowds here - SSC even did a schools tour of England to promote the french language - this is roughly the equivalent of Oasis doing a french school tour!!

Please listen to the following acts (sorry if i sound patronising, but ive never met a brit thats heard of all four!):

IAM

Saian Supa Crew

Supreme Ntm

Waxolutionists.

Anyone thats into melodic hip hop should dig these acts. Unfortunately ive never found their stuff in the UK (apart from HMV oxford st!) SSC work with Roots Manuva on a regs and IAM with Rahzel. These acts sell out football stadiums on the continent, but british attitudes mean they play to pub crowds here - SSC even did a schools tour of England to promote the french language - this is roughly the equivalent of Oasis doing a french school tour!!

I've never heard of any of those. I do have a friend who's a massive fan of hip-hop; he's bound to have heard of at least one.

If they're European, then I'm not surprised they do very little business here. Continental urban acts are generally viewed with suspicion. Probably because the vast majority of the stuff is rubbish.

Rovermatt- i totally agree with you. Most continental urban (and rock for that matter) music is terrible. However the old law in Francce capping the amount of foreign music on their radio meant french rap and electro took off. The UK gets the electro (Air, Daft Punk), as its not really a vocal thing, but not the Hip hop. The french tongue is, imo, perfect for hip hop - just as italian is for opera, or southern US for country...i barely speak a word of it though.

Of the acts ive listed youve probably heard some Supreme Ntm - they arent together any longer. English translation would be Super Motherf***er so im told. They did some of the music on 'La Heine' most notably dj cut killer (who also needs checking out - the french Nu-mark imo) mixing them, edith piaf and KRS One together For 'Nique La Police'. They also worked with Nas for 'Affirmative Action'.

andy82 - i like IAM, i have the double CD ombre est luminer (probably spelt wrong) which has some really good tracks on. that law on french radio about the tracks having to have so many seconds of french language on it did wonders for their hip hop scene cool.gif the J5 are another of my faves - unfortunatel y the one time i had the chance to see them it was at a festival and every other person there had the same idea.. their tent was full to bursting so i had to make do with sitting outside and listening to whatever sounds drifted out...

today tho i have mostly been listening to the super furry animals, probably my favourite band ever smile.gif

Went to see Paul Weller last night at Manchester Apollo (superb, as usual).

It was interesting to see that Tris was on keyboards again, just like last time, although when quizzed he always denies that it's him. smile.gif

andy82 - i like IAM, i have the double CD ombre est luminer (probably spelt wrong) which has some really good tracks on. that law on french radio about the tracks having to have so many seconds of french language on it did wonders for their hip hop scene cool.gif

ah yes, good album, not quite up there with 'l'ecole d' micro argent' though. Good to see french raps finally getting known in England, its virtually impossible to find out any new releases or the like when the limit of my french is asking for a beer! One thing i have noticed about it though (with help from a french girl i know) is how little they refer to bitches/hoes/guns/drivebys/niggers/crack and tend to focus on politics and the music.

Andy, don't know if you (or anyone else for that matter) know who I'm on about, but there is a scene in the film La Haine (top film btw) which features a hip hop track overlaid with Non Je Ne Regret Riene by Edith Piaf. I've always wanted to know who did it (it also features some of the most awesome scratching I've ever heard).

Andy, don't know if you (or anyone else for that matter) know who I'm on about, but there is a scene in the film La Haine (top film btw) which features a hip hop track overlaid with Non Je Ne Regret Riene by Edith Piaf. I've always wanted to know who did it (it also features some of the most awesome scratching I've ever heard).

DJ cut killer/Suprme ntm - Nique La Police

DJ cut killer/Suprme ntm - Nique La Police

A brilliant scene, from a brilliant film featuring a brilliant track.

The song based on KRS1's 'Sound of the Police' but with the lyric changed I think to the more direct

"B@ise la Police" (f. the police) as scrawled on a patrol car near the beginning of the film.

Maybe the London body should have arranged a screening of the film for the Olympic Selection Committee and called it a documentary, it might have put them off Paris.

I saw Carpathian Forest on Friday night and they were rather good, even for a part-time Black Metaller like me.

Highlight of the night though was seeing the frontwoman of support band Wykked Wytch - who were awful - almost coming to blows with some chav bint in the crowd who was apparently there to see the other (local) support act and then shout their name at all the other bands on the bill. Well done to the little troll.

Edited by Radagast

Also, Nick Cave's new double CD is very good

Nice Cave is bloody brilliant, if you've not got any of his other stuff, i'd reccomend buying the back catalogue.

Quite agree. Him and Polly Harvey are my favourite individual musical people. Murder Ballads is great and and the first born is dead (whcih I've just realised I haven't listened to in years) was my introduction and Tupelo is still one of his best. I am yet to acuire his new one . Nocturama wasn't one ofhis best.

Any of the Mogwai/Sigor Ros/ people into lamb

Any of the Mogwai/Sigor Ros/ people into lamb

Lamb always seem to be one of the acts recommended by Amazon under "other stuff you may like", so I really should give them a listen, but my "albums to buy" list is as long as my arm at the moment.

Edited by Morph