BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

Monday is a big day for me...the release of British Sea Power's new album; Open Season. They've been my favourite band since I saw them on a small stage at Leeds festival a few years ago (the strange picture in my sig is them) and, from what I've heard of the new album, it should be great.

Slightly annoyed that it seems the media are starting to pick up on them (Mirror has it as album of the week), probably means I'll have to deal with weenie bandwagon jumping kids at future gigs...but I guess BSP deserve the credit.

Yeah i've heard good things about them. Not just from the press.

Could you describe them abit? what kind of stuff do they sound like?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday is a big day for me...the release of British Sea Power's new album; Open Season.  They've been my favourite band since I saw them on a small stage at Leeds festival a few years ago (the strange picture in my sig is them) and, from what I've heard of the new album, it should be great.

Slightly annoyed that it seems the media are starting to pick up on them (Mirror has it as album of the week), probably means I'll have to deal with weenie bandwagon jumping kids at future gigs...but I guess BSP deserve the credit.

Yeah i've heard good things about them. Not just from the press.

Could you describe them abit? what kind of stuff do they sound like?

I can't really think what they sound like to be honest, it is quite distinctive...not ground breaking or anything, but finding comparisons is quite difficult. My Mum said the singing sounded a bit like David Bowie...make of that what you will.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the new album, it's a more relaxed effort but it's growing on me...doesn't quite have the edge that the debut one did though. If you're going to get some songs to get a flavour of them, get Remember Me, Fear Of Drowning, Carrion and Apologies To Insect Life. They're definitely a band that grow on you, it took me about 6 months to fully appreciate the first album.

To really get the full experience of them though they have to be seen live, they are the most captivating live band I've ever seen. I went to see them again tonight and this was possibly their best showing yet. Unfortunately they've stopped the foliage and plastic heron activities that became their trademark, I'm guessing they didn't want it to become a gimmick. The variation of people that turn up to their gigs never ceases to amaze me, I was trapped between a 60 year old man and a punk rocker tonight...I can see why they apeal to a wide variety of people though. I overheard someone saying "you know you're watching the best band in the world right now" and at that moment I'd be suprised if you found anyone in the room who thought any different.

After the gig I bumped into the guitarist and the drummer in the bar and they signed my shirt and shook my hand so I'm a very happy man tonight. cool.gif

Just got my hands on a limited edition of The Collection by The Style Council. Its simply a remastered copy of a series of songs that is a right good listen to.

its a Paul Weller/Mick Talbot classic and as Barry would say

"A right touch"

rolleyes.gif

May I take this opportunity to suggest a Clapton appreciation thread....

Me and Mr Johnson is a great album, and Journeyman is currently getting a runthrough.

Mr Johnson is a good album, but sometimes feel hes not giving it 100% though...

Hot Tomallies is a stand out for me.

Radaghast.

You heard a song called 'Bandages', cant remember the band. Its new but im usually too out my face to remember who it is

By Hot Hot Heat?

Yeah that's right

Whist revising I am listening to: The new Beck album, Low, Godspeed!, the Radio Dept. and MBV

Quality!

Whist revising I am listening to: The new Beck album, Low, Godspeed!, the Radio Dept. and MBV

Quality!

Godspeed!, the Radio Dept. and MBV are great choices !!

Lately, I've been listening to :

Josh Rouse - Nashville

Grateful Dead - Amercian Beauty

Sin City (the best of) - The Flying Burrito Brothers

Decade - Neil Young

and anything by I Am Kloot

Really liked the latest Coral single as well (can't remember the name, though!), reminded me of one of their previous singles 'Pass It On', quite folky and upbeat thumbs-up.gif

I just bought a Ben Harper album on Play. I've heard bits and pieces of Diamonds on the Inside so I hope it's worth the money.

chances are with Ben Harper youll like some of it and wont enjoy the rest as much - he covers quite a few different styles, one minute he sounds like Bob Marley, Hendix the next. I much prefer the reggae style stuff like 'Oppression', 'Jah Love' and 'With My Own Two Hands'.

If you can get hold of it i thoroughly recommend the live stuff hes done with Neil Finn and Eddie Vedder (of Crowded House and Pearl Jam fame).

Though I can say that if you get the chance to he is a must see in concert. Great performer and great atmosphere, well worth it.

Seeing as I'm off to see them at the academy tomorrow I've spent the evening with Terrorvision's Regular Urban Surviors and Take The Money and Run on whilst I work.

Also, I know I've gone one about them before, but one of the guys from "soon to be huge" Leeds band This EtAl sorted me an pre-producution CD of their latest demo and it's fantastic ! I'm seeing if I legitimately distribute copies, but until then anyone that likes there stuff let me know and I'll see what I can do.

There stuff has been likened to Muse, Queens Of The Stone Age and Interpol, the first single was He Shoots Presidents (downloadable free and legit from http://www.dancetotheradio.com/) but the best is yet to come in catscan.

After earning an appearance at last years Leeds festival, having the music championed by Steve Lurpack on Radio 1 and Claire Sturgess on XFM, having their first single sell out in less than a week and one hell of a local following, I'm confident they are going to make it.

As they haven't got a proper deal yet, you can download loads of their tracks from http://www.thisetal.com/media.asp (again, I urge you to check out catscan).

Let me know what you think.

"Seeing as I'm off to see them at the academy tomorrow I've spent the evening with Terrorvision's Regular Urban Surviors and Take The Money and Run on whilst I work."

Good to see someone else likes them, although the songs after shaving peaches were sh_t. I have a RUS T-shirt as well.