BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Ron Forced To Resign

There's a good story emerging over Ron Atkinson, who has had to resign from ITV Sport after making an off-air racist comment following last night’s game between Chelsea and Monaco.

Apparently, the words "Desailly", "nigger", "useless" and "f*****" were used, though not necessarily in that order.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Big Ron as a commentator, if he used the words "useless" and "f*****" in close proximity solely in relation to Desailly's performance last night many observers would no doubt agree.

The use of the other word jim mentioned, IF indeed it was used, is a different matter in this day and age.

Most of ITV's pundits are lame anyway.....I mean Robbie Earle?!? Yes he has a wide array of European experience to help support his views... unsure.gif Then again most of us know the right thing for Blackburn and the nearest thing we get to management is ChampMan...

Big Ron is a bit of a ######. I mean the way he thinks Christiano Ronaldo doing a few step-overs makes him special is beyond me...

If it is true, then Big Ron, with his lovely tan and nice white bright teeth will be in some serious bother.

I am shocked by what he has said, but if it is true then he has to go.

Well at least there`s a United fan off the Channel.

Can`t find a link of itv`s site.

Utterly amazing. I quite liked Ron in a kind of buffoonish way, his (un racist) abuses of the human language were very entertaining.

I think perhaps that word that Atkinson so unfortunately chose to employ is now the single most powerful exclamation in the world. It ended a career. One word, not even said on air, ended a career. Incredible.

yea, when he commentated he always has to mention Man U i.e. tonight's match is Monaco Vs Chelsea, Chelsea who are currently doin reall well and are 2nd in th e league but Man United look like there to overtake thm.

He said somethin alng thoose line anyway.

I wonder what Desailly most think ohmy.gif

user posted image

Look at that vizzog - how can anyone not find that boat race funny?

After the Totti incident he's an idiot if he's been caught like that again. Sheer unprofessionalism while he is working. It may have been off-camera but he was still representing the company at that moment and should have acted accordingly.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Strangely, the remarks were only heard in certain countries in the Middle East, but it was enough to cause his downfall.

Anyone remember Ron as manager of West Brom in the 1970s, when he called his black players Cyrille Regis, Brendan Batson and Laurie Cunningham "The Three Degrees" after the famous singing trio?

I wonder what they think now (though Cunningham sadly is dead)?

PS: Sunderland's defeat at Palace meant Norwich were promoted tonight. Looking forward to another 7-0 next season?

Anyone remember him playing for Oxford United, when they knocked a superb rovers team, including Clayton and Douglas, out of the F.A. cup?

That was one of the worst days in Rovers history. I can still remember the shock in the town.

I saw a program on "The Three Degrees" a couple of months back on the BBC, the surviving duo were proud of what they had achieved, proud of the club, and did not mind the nickname. Shame about Big Ron in the sense that he is a good character and someone who I would associate with the game even though I don't really like him, at the same time as I don't really like him I'm not that sad really. Anyway with the MOTD back next season and SKY taking over the Champions League he was basically out of a job anyway.

Apparently, the words  "Desailly", "nigger", "useless" and "f*****" were used, though not necessarily in that order.

Can I assume Jim that the reference to "f*****" isn't that he's French then?! Surprised that Atkinson didn't prefix his crude and inexcusable (allegedly) reference to Desailly's ethnicity with some xenophobic faux pas myself. blink.gif

I am shocked by what he has said, but if it is true then he has to go.

It's certainly not true! In the light of his viscous attack on Morientes when Ron Atkinson described Desailly last night as a "###### lazy nigger" he missed out the words "dirty and bad-ass" either side of "lazy".

I see that you obviously missed the match MB. I suggest you watch a re-run of Desailly elbowing Morientes. All this other stuff is just a case of sticks and stones mate, words no matter how offensive they are viewed are not as dangerous as that assault with his elbow.

I don't think anyone here's sticking up for Desailly, Gordon. But Ron was out of order, simple as that. He could have easily have said what he said* without using the word "nigger" and still got his point across. But he didn't and he's got his comeupance. Personally I'll miss his 'Ron-isms' but at least its one Scum fan off the telly.

*(is "said what he said" something akin to a double negative I wonder? huh.gif )

>Post-Edit

And here begineth brfcs.com Racial Debate No. 549

Edited by Radagast

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.