BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stolen by the Ref

England v Portugal promises to be a great game but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of confidence for England on the various football websites considering how well we played against Croatia. So who's going to win?

Personally I think England will just have too much quality for the hosts. Portugal have some good players don't get me wrong but much of their good play ends when they get to the final third. Until Nuno Gomes popped up with a superb winner against Spain, most of the pundits have dismissed them as second rate, which they are.

If we play the same way we have been doing we'll win. They couldn't cope with Greece's direct play and England play a quite similar game, as well as having better quality players all over the pitch. If we can stop giving away silly free-kicks in dangerous areas then I can't see us being outscored.

I think we'll win by one or two goals with Owen stepping his game up and getting two and Rooney bagging his fifth of the tournament.

For later predictions, I fancy Dave Becks to win the final for us against France in the last minute with a customary free-kick, in true Jonny Wilkinson style.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I think we will go out against Portugal.

They're not the greatest team and certainly aren't too prolific at scoring goals.

But I just feel that their formation, with Costinha and Maniche holding, will deprive Rooney of ball to feet. And Rooney is the crucial man for England, especially was we are playing with no width and no big man up front.

I also expect Ronaldo to give Cole a torrid time. Ivica Mornar gave him trouble in the second half of the Croatia game - so that's kind of ominous considering this time it won't be some make-shift winger who's a 8 foot monster with minimal skill - it'll be Figo and Ronaldo.

You’ve more a less said it there.

I think England will be too powerful for the Portuguese. From what I’ve seen of Portugal there main threats are from Ronaldo and Figo.

Our central defence pairing with Campbell and Terry looks solid enough and I’d expect them to cope with Nuno Gomes or Pauleta.

The English midfield generates a lot of passing and movement, with Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes, finally, who are all a threat to score.

Owen and Rooney I think will be too good for their defence. Owen ahs done a lot of running which ahs gone un-noticed. His off the ball running creates the space for Rooney.

Rooney at the moment is on fire and I’m confident that he’ll score again.

The hosts will have the home crowd behind them but with the huge amount of support we have, it won’t seem like we’re playing the hosts.

Portugal 1 – 3 England.

rover.gifi have been to every major tournament england have been in since 82 and i have only beenhome once before team,wheni was deported,unfortunatley ifly home friday tinykit.gif

Unless you get deported today or tomorrow ...

I shall be driving to London on Thursday evening sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Richard Branson - paah!

Heart says England. Head says - don't know, very difficult to call

Its not so much the threat of Portugal that I think will win it for them, its England stuffing it up some how. The only real threat i have noticed from Portugal is Ronaldo, otherwise they have shown very little so far. Cole was left exposed far too often against Switzerland, and while this was slightly rectified in the Croatia game, a player of Mornars ability was able to give him problems. I know its not going to happen but this would be the perfect chance to test a Bridge/Cole left pairing. Overall England have shown far more then Portugal but i just know its going to end in heart break.

For later predictions, I fancy Dave Becks to win the final for us against France in the last minute with a customary free-kick, in true Jonny Wilkinson style.

He's gonna kick it over the bar? Hope not! laugh.gif

Hope he remembers he's not doin an Adidas ad...

Don't think we'll get through - we need to stop givin away free-kicks around the box sad.gif

Portugal 2-1 England AET

2-1 for Portugal

Both teams are playing better but both still have a lot to prove.

we don't have the strike powe you have, specially since Pauleta cannot play and the only striker on the bench will be Helder Postiga.

However, our defence is working better and the midfield is quite powerful.

Both are teams with weaknesses. Both are teams at a comparable level. Portugal's major problem is that they've been absolutely shocking so far. This game represents a fresh start for the hosts. England despite being a very limited side defensively, have obviously come into a purple patch up front. Portugal in their own back-yard are a very different proposition to the mighty Swiss and even mightier Croatians. Their defence has sorted itself out, the excellent Ricardo Carvallho has already steadied the boat.

The contest will be Portuguese flair versus English functionality. If the hosts can get their noses in front, they should be okay. Otherwise, they'll be sunk.

Edited by Rovermatt

I feel it is imperative we take the game to the Portuguese - I can't see them making the same mistake as Croatia who sat back after scoring the early goal . Too close to call - it'll all depend on who gets the breaks.

But if we do win , then the cup's as good as ours cool.gif

Heard on the radio the other day that the intention is for Ronaldo to start on the left (ie up against G Neville). Can't remember who was talking but it was someone pretty close to the Portuguese camp, not just idle speculation. I'm sure it's not just me who thinks he's nowhere near as effective on that side.

Now watch Neville have a 'mare wink.gif

Tango's 2-0 shout seems a bit ambitious...

but I'll bite.. I'm in for that as well.... hopefully the hosts will feel the heat of playing at home and the 'need' to advance. Will be a barnburner, thou. Can hardly stand the wait !!

Portugal to join the azurri, spanish all going home.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.