BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Verdict On Souness

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What GOOD manager wants to come here?  No money, poor support and according to many of you @#/? players to start with.

Tonight's team selection was quite good...but anyone, and I literally mean anyone, in the Premiership and probably Division One would have picked better starting line-ups than the ones we played for the first few games.

I like the way Nigel Worthington has Norwich playing, they have played Man Utd and Newcastle in the last two games and they played good football with attacking wide men...not necessarily wingers, but attacking nonetheless. They drew with Newcastle tonight and were unlucky not to get a point from Man Utd as well.

Peter Taylor is another that I would be happy with, he has a very good record apart from one dodgy season with Leicester, he likes his teams to have good balance though and he gets them playing a good style of football. He took Hull up from Division Three last season and would surely jump at the chance to come back to the Premiership.

Iain Dowie would also be another very good choice, I like what he's doing at Palace and I'm always very impressed with the way he talks about the game, he could be the right sort of man for us.

If the weird team selections and negative tactics continue though I would take anyone instead of Souey...

Good nods all of them LeChuck, I particularly like Worthington. I don't like Taylor, he was a disaster in the Prem. Of the others I revert back to my original question, why on earth would Dowie or Worthington want to leave their clubs for ours. I just can't see why, especially Norwich's boss who I think well do OK this season and entertain in the process.

Well I asked who and got some interesting answers. Point is there are no shoe ins. Most of the names offered are either simply not going to be interested or are nominees based on emotion, Shearer come off it, Hughes a gamble. Strachan good choice based on the efforts at the saints but let's not forget this is the same Strachan that got Coventry relegated and set about their demise as a whole.

For me it's stick with Souness but find him a coach who can help him and have JW have a word in his ear to tell him not to be so pig headed, to listen to the coach.

Roll on the end of September things will pick up. Not sure what this love affair is with Allardyce lately, if Souness had given the return big Sam has I am sure no one here would be happy. When we were doing well they were ###### they had one good season, I don't see them repeating that. As for the win at Southampton I see Bolton won it with a penalty.

The time for sacking or resigning was in the pre-season. We're locked in with Souness now, and I'm confident he will get the job done.

My line of thought on Souness is... with most other management candidates, we could have a bad spell and be in relegation trouble, and not find a way out. Souness however, always seems to have something in reserve... some savvyness, that gets us out of the poo when we need it most.

So, I've learnt to be patient with Souness, because I know, eventually, he will get the results we need... and that includes late spurts to get Rovers into sixth and the Eufa cup...

Edited by Shaddy

I have always been a souey fan but I am really concerned about this season, with the best we can hope for is 6th from bottom above city, everton, wba, norwich, c palace.

My heart says stick with him because I think he cares but logically all the warning signs of a relegation campaign are there:

Bad start, players out of position, signings not quite coming off, constant complaints about referees/luck, team changing every week, formation changing every week, playing badly against bad teams, falling out with players, playing reasonably well against good teams but geting beat, letting soft goals in.

On the positive side, in very short spells against soton and arsenal there was some good play, and I think he has the backing of the player which harford, hodgson and kidd didn't. I think a lot depends on the new signing today MGP.

So souey, next three games

play 442

Get gallagher on the bench at least

play dickov and stead (if you told me 6 months ago I would be saying please play dickov I wouldn't have believed you)

play a settled back 4

dont play defenders in midfield

then take if from there.

It could be worse, kidd could be manager and ashley ward could be upfront.

Interesting how the assistant manager merry-go-round has had an immediate impact. NOT. One 'yes' man for another - hardly surprising really.

Although, apparently, Tony Parkes fervent insistence that Yorke was playing really well for the reserves caused Souness to give him a second chance. dry.gif

Gordon Strachan is looking to get back into management and does like Rovers as a club.

Unconfirmed speculation, or is there a decent source for that?

And you'd better watch out, Samuel... if Deschamps inexplicably decides to turn us down, we could be in for your very own brilliant Cotterill.

Interesting how the assistant manager merry-go-round has had an immediate impact. NOT. One 'yes' man for another - hardly surprising really.

Although, apparently, Tony Parkes fervent insistence that Yorke was playing really well for the reserves caused Souness to give him a second chance. dry.gif

Yes but, the main benefit of the switch is that Parkes distance from Souey will make it easier to fill his boots in the caretaker role.

Didier Deschamps would be my choice.

What a great idea. In fact if anyone is on the phone to Deadwood Park at the moment... HANG UP!

It could be that Didier Dechamps is right this moment trying to get through, to finalise his switch to East Lancs.

I wasn't speculating whether he would come, dingleboy. He fits the desciption of a manager I'd like to see in charge of the club, and now that you mention it, it's not entirely unlikely he would come, as the wage in this football land is a great deal better than most other places. But you're probably right, he'd most likely end up at a big club like Tottenham or Middlesbrough if he were ever to come to England...

Posted on Aug 26 2004, 15:57 

QUOTE (Jan @ Aug 26 2004, 05:06 )

Gordon Strachan is looking to get back into management and does like Rovers as a club. 

Unconfirmed speculation, or is there a decent source for that?

Not sure

Does the man himself- directly to me in a one on one conversation- count as a good source or not?

So he likes Rovers, and wants to get a job, as a result of this, the club will get rid of Souness and put him in place?

I wouldn't mind being a manager, and I really like the look of Rovers, think they'll free something up for me?

Fine Bryan, you have it your way!

However for those WITH a brain - I was sitting beside him on a flight from Glasgow to London and, to be polite asked how his hip was. He said fine. I then asked if he was enjoying his time out or looking to get back into football. After telling me about the various holidays he'd had and what he was going to be doing at Euro 2004, he said he was "looking for the right opportunity but not rushing back"

This was after the cup final which Celtic won, so I was quite happy and we talked about Celtic for a while. Rovers were just mentioned in an aside - he was just complimentary about the club. "nice club with a good chairman and board" I thought that was positive!

Eddie- the difference between you and Strachan is that he has talent as a manager and you're a sad loser

Edited by Jan

Black indeed.

Oh and Eddie, you're not Scottish either, so forget about it!

I guess that qualifies as a decent source, Jan (rolleyes.gif ). Anyway Strachan certainly sounds a top bloke and it's certainly encouraging that he had nice things to say about Rovers. I'd only question whether he would see Rovers as the "right opportunity" he's waiting for.

rover.gif i'm really getting worried now,junior has given up his ticket for saturday,and decided to go to blackpool for the weekend tinykit.gif

i do not know how the tickets are going for saturday,but the gate may concern the board.anything below 28,000 shows the blackburn public are voting with there feet.

At least Strachans post match interviews are good.

Pete Kay's would be funnier, let's get HIM in.

Only read this thread to see exactly HOW dumb and ignorant some people are. ( and that's not aimed at you Alan75)

Quite staggering really, Tim Sherwood once said fans don't know anything about football.

I'm beginning to think he had a point.

At least Strachans post match interviews are good.

Pete Kay's would be funnier, let's get HIM in.

Only read this thread to see exactly HOW dumb and ignorant some people are. ( and that's not aimed at you Alan75)

Quite staggering really, Tim Sherwood once said fans don't know anything about football.

I'm beginning to think he had a point.

He certainly did if he'd talked to you just before he said it.

Eddie- the difference between you and Strachan is that he has talent as a manager and you're a sad loser

Well I suppose that put me in my place then! biggrin.gif

After all...I spend my time arguing aimlessly with people online that a man should lose his job and coming up with ridiculous justifications and replacements...oh wait

Do you have a sense of humour, Janice.

Good grief. First you take my jibe about women knowing nothing about football seriously (and Flopsy jumps on the bandwagon to make a pathetic little jibe - natch), now this!

I guess accountants aren't renowned for their hilarity, but this is taking the biscuit.

"For those WITH a brain ..." oooh, get you! tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.