BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Verdict On Souness

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those that would like to see Rovers turn it around with GS onboard. Souey is still the biggest ass kicking 'old skool' manager haunting premierships grounds. It would be shameful to see him go, but I'm becoming more dissilusioned by the minute-I just don't see a resurrection happening. sad.gif

This whole thing seems like a 'bataan deathmarch' akin to Reidy @ Sunderland... and althou showing Souey the sack means to wait until May to name a worthy successor... can rovers' not afford to cut their losses say after 3 more matches???

(no pun intended)

I personally dislike jumping on the sack the gaffer bandwagon..it's daft, but I dislike seeing Rovers propping up the table after 3 matches even more... especially after just surviving the drop last spring.

Go Rovers.

Edited by blue/white

What GOOD manager wants to come here?  No money, poor support and according to many of you @#/? players to start with.

Tonight's team selection was quite good...but anyone, and I literally mean anyone, in the Premiership and probably Division One would have picked better starting line-ups than the ones we played for the first few games.

I like the way Nigel Worthington has Norwich playing, they have played Man Utd and Newcastle in the last two games and they played good football with attacking wide men...not necessarily wingers, but attacking nonetheless. They drew with Newcastle tonight and were unlucky not to get a point from Man Utd as well.

Peter Taylor is another that I would be happy with, he has a very good record apart from one dodgy season with Leicester, he likes his teams to have good balance though and he gets them playing a good style of football. He took Hull up from Division Three last season and would surely jump at the chance to come back to the Premiership.

Iain Dowie would also be another very good choice, I like what he's doing at Palace and I'm always very impressed with the way he talks about the game, he could be the right sort of man for us.

If the weird team selections and negative tactics continue though I would take anyone instead of Souey...

Worthington and Dowie probably won't be possibilities at all--they certainly won't leave at this point, and I get the sense that even if their clubs go down at the end of the year, each manager will stick with them and try to help them back into the Premier League. That's a shame, too, because I think Dowie's a hell of a manger and would do a great job for any club (Blackburn included).

With Peter Taylor you're once again dealing with a distinct step-up in class (as Sturrock faced), and that can certainly cause trouble for managers. Strachan would, of course, be ideal, but I can think of no reason why he'd leave his early retirement in sunny Southampton for a job with a struggling Northwest team.

Anyway, just thought I'd comment on the names brought up because I think it's important to note that hiring a new manager is essentially starting over... in most cases, the new manager will need quite some time to get in his players and have the team playing his style. If Souness was going to be sacked, the best time to have done it would have been the offseason, when a new manager would have had time to mould his squad... as for now, he must be given time to sort things out. Perhaps if he did everything but actually pick the team for matches?

Still, I'm sticking by what I said earlier: I'll give him 10 games before I reassess.

After two "easy" games (I see Bolton won at Southampton) and one difficult one, this is the verdict:

16 Norwich 3 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 3 4 -1 2

17 Portsmouth 2 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 1

18 Man City 3 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 2 1 3 -2 1

19 Blackburn 3 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 2 2 6 -4 1

20 Crystal Palace 3 0 0 2 1 5 0 1 0 1 1 -4 1

I am now of the opinion that Souey should go.

Not for any footballing reasons, just so that Jan, kennysuperbuyer, Jim et al will at least have something else to say instead of their incessant bore.

Then again, perhaps not.

Come on guys (and girls) lets think about it.....

1) Souey cocked up in the first half against Southampton

2) He turned it round in the second half

3) Against Southampton we were robbed of a point and a player by a stupid referee not Souey

4) Last night we held our own for 45 minutes against the best side in the country (and probably Europe).

From that summary of the season so far (ONLY THREE GAMES) there is only one thing I would have issue with Souness over.

Let's pull tpgether for the weekend ang get behind the boys.

It's too early to call for anyones head!

Im not calling for heads YET. but the jury is out.

We all know the good things that Souness has done for the club, but Im starting to wonder whether he's lost the plot with his team selections, well actually its not a knee jerk reaction, his team selections were questionable last season.

There is, dare I say it about someone who was fearless in his playing days, a fear factor in his negative team selections.

Apart from Tugay, there is no creative player in the team as I still reserve judgement on Ferguson and De Pedro, who has yet had the oportunity to show his ability.

Jolly G stated that Souness cocked up team selection against Southampton in the first half, didnt he do the same thing at HOME against West Brom with a defensive formation for the first half.

For some reason, which might be revealed someday he got rid of our most experienced striker, (and Im not a Cole fan) then gives Yorke a second chance because he had been training hard. For Pete sake isnt that what hes paid to do. We then hear rumours (gossip) that Souness has now fallen out with Gallagher, (who was the most prolific scorer in pre season).

At the moment Im leaning in the direction of the prosecution, can anyone from the defence lawyers side sway me in another direction, convince me.

Where are the goals going to come from.

Who is going to create the openings

Where has the excitment gone.

I agree with all of the above. I think I'm getting to that stage where the jury is out but they have jumped off the fence and are fighting over each other in their eagerness to get back into court.

I've heard the Gallagher rumours as well. He'll no doubt be getting the "big head on" then.

I keep telling myself that it was Arsenal that we lost to last night, that it was to be expected and that I shouldn't be too upset (I lost £2 by the way Hughesy - my solicitor will be in touch).

I'm losing patience with the whole set up to be honest and I'm clearly not alone. I can only see this going one way I'm afraid - and that doesn't make me feel any better at all in the slightest. As Alan said can someone please convince me that Souness is still the man. That he's the manager to take us forward?

Happy days.

If the stories of him falling out with Gallagher are true, then it's a real blow, we could do with him down the right. Shame we didn't get Finnan on loan, either.

Last season the problems were not scoring and conceding too many.

So far we have scored three times (only one goal being notched by a striker), and conceded seven.

Plus ca change!

The team needs shaking up, and people need to be played in their proper positions, otherwise we won't be discussing this topic in a month, Souness will already have gone.

If there is to be a change who would you want?

For what it's worth my selections would be

1) Mark Hughes

2) Alan Shearer player/manager

3) Gordon Strachan

4) Iain Dowie

5) Mike Newell

I know that some of them would be unattainable but that would be my shortlist.

Thus far this season, there is precious little to be said in Souey's defence.

Touch line antics, continuing referee antipathy and nobody on this MB at least wholeheartedly supporting his selection or tactics.

Two obvious howlers- the Leeds manger blames having to play Matteo in midfield as a major contributory factor in their demise last season so Souness persists in playing him there. Gallagher was on fire scoring goals pre-season but has not yet featured.

Madness!

There are many more.

It cannot be argued that there are not any decent contenders if Souey were to go. LDrover assembles a nice list of realistic targets.

Strachan and Dowie would be my favourites- I believe that both would be as close to certainties to produce good results and great football from the talented squad (yes I mean that) Souness has assembled.

Hughes would be very interesting, I believe could do the job but the transition to Prem Management is a big one.

Newell and Shearer would be too big a risk but enormously popular if either were to be appointed.

Who knows what lessons Sturrock has learnt from his 13 gmes at Southampton but we could do worse than interview him. Have to say I am relieved Colin Hendry is not available- I never saw him as managerial material. One name from left field (as our American posters might say) - Glenn Keeley.

I`m sure that the message boards of Man City , Palace, Aston Villa , Newcastle are awash with complaining fans who are demanding sackings for poor tactics, attitude, results etc.

if you have watched Rovers for any length of time you get used to the highs and lows and learn to take it in your stride.

Was it only last season that we were in the UEFA Cup? Beat wolves 5-1?

Held chelsea 2-2? A downward spiral followed by a glorious finish?

We`ve 1 point ? So what? Tables are misleading at this time of year. We`ve bought an exciting young talent but I`m afraid that the fans general unhappiness will not help him to fulfil himself. We do have other talent at the club and Souey will get it right. A guy who has managed Liverpool, Rangers, Benfica and Galatasary must have something about him and his TV work only adds to an impressive CV.

I do not enjoy seeing my team lose but neither do I like to see and read some of the comments about the manager and the players that I have seen in the last 2 weeks. Surely as supporters we should support the club when things are not going well.

Changes have been made since last season in both personnel and tactics and management. It needs time to bed in. We have not been given the easiet of starts but I for one remain confident.

I`m sure that the message boards of Man City , Palace, Aston Villa , Newcastle are awash with complaining fans who are demanding sackings for poor tactics, attitude, results etc.

if you have watched Rovers for any length of time you get used to the highs and lows and learn to take it in your stride.

Was it only last season that we were in the UEFA Cup? Beat wolves 5-1?

Held chelsea 2-2? A downward spiral followed by a glorious finish?

We`ve 1 point ? So what? Tables are misleading at this time of year. We`ve bought an exciting young talent but I`m afraid that the fans general unhappiness will not help him to fulfil himself. We do have other talent at the club and Souey will get it right. A guy who has managed Liverpool, Rangers, Benfica and Galatasary must have something about him and his TV work only adds to an impressive CV.

I do not enjoy seeing my team lose but neither do I like to see and read some of the comments about the manager and the players that I have seen in the last 2 weeks. Surely as supporters we should support the club when things are not going well.

Changes have been made since last season in both personnel and tactics and management. It needs time to bed in. We have not been given the easiet of starts but I for one remain confident.

I admire your optimism Tony, I really do. I wish I could share the same feelings. Just one question, at what point do you think we should get rid of the manager if the present results and performances continue?

Thus far this season, there is precious little to be said in Souey's defence.

Touch line antics, continuing referee antipathy and nobody on this MB at least wholeheartedly supporting his selection or tactics.

Two obvious howlers- the Leeds manger blames having to play Matteo in midfield as a major contributory factor in their demise last season so Souness persists in playing him there. Gallagher was on fire scoring goals pre-season but has not yet featured.

Madness!

There are many more.

It cannot be argued that there are not any decent contenders if Souey were to go. LDrover assembles a nice list of realistic targets.

Strachan and Dowie would be my favourites- I believe that both would be as close to certainties to produce good results and great football from the talented squad (yes I mean that) Souness has assembled.

Hughes would be very interesting, I believe could do the job but the transition to Prem Management is a big one.

Newell and Shearer would be too big a risk but enormously popular if either were to be appointed.

Who knows what lessons Sturrock has learnt from his 13 gmes at Southampton but we could do worse than interview him. Have to say I am relieved Colin Hendry is not available- I never saw him as managerial material. One name from left field (as our American posters might say) - Glenn Keeley.

Keeley as No 2 to Mark Hughes sounds better.

BTW saw Tony 'Ewood' Parkes at the launderette this morning havin his suit dry cleaned - so watch this space.......

Where has the excitment gone.

Says it all for me.

Sven`s England bore the hell out of me and now Souness`s rovers are equally uninspiring.

We don`t look like we are even trying to win let alone look capable.

Keeley as No 2 to Mark Hughes sounds better.

BTW saw Tony 'Ewood' Parkes at the launderette this morning havin his suit dry cleaned - so watch this space.......

Eh?!

He only gets his suit dry-cleaned when he's up for teh caretaker interview?

What a smelly gipper! blink.gif

Now that Souness is being exposed for the fraud that he is, perhaps the board will now follow Southampton's example and terminate his contract forthwith. Sacking him in October when we are rock bottom with one point to our name will be far too late.

I think Souness has lost more respoect from me in three games then the whole of last season, last season I though he was unlucky with injuries and bad form of player who obviously had talent, but this season playing Matteo centre midfield then left wing and then centre midfield when he can't even pass the ball and only tackle by giving away free kick, Matteo has already cost us three goals through poor play, yet we have Flitcroft who now has no confidence after being demoted again and again, and other players who have been overlooked, it just really pisses me off.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.