BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Verdict On Souness

I don't actually think it's that bad a formation and is one that can adapt to any situation.

Much of what you say makes sense and as the players stated they had been working on a formation for a few weeks then it couldn't have been a surprise. It didn't work in the 1st half partly because De Pedro is both new and probably unfit, and partly because the 3 in midfield were too similar. If Yorke had played where De Pedro was and Dickov up front it would probably have worked better.

Similarly I felt sorry for Gresko as he did little wrong but was wasted. The fact that he's left footed is irrelevant as it doesn't mean he has to play out wide he was too defensive an option for Saturday IMO.

I certainly expect to see a similar formation again. The funny thing is Souness is accused of knowing nothing about tactics and stuff but surely if that was the case they would just play 4-4-2 with no variation.

Fair enough we can all have a laugh aboutt he light bulb formation but the players clearly didn't line up like that. De Pedro did spend a lot of time more central and neither Gresko or Matteo were drawn to the left either.

We shall wait and see for Saturday but I think the side Brownie has down including Tugay will be the one coming out against Southampton.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't often get to say it but I agree almost entirely with your post Rev.  I know I give you enough stick so it's only fair to give credit where it's due.  It's almost a positive post from you but i'd prefer to say realistic.

thumbs-up.gif

Agreed

Now is not the time to make knee jerk reactions based on the first 45 minutes of the season. However big improvements are required.

One positive was that all the players at least seemed to put 100% effort into Saturdays game, unlike many of the games last year where conceding the first goal caused their "heads to drop"

Thing I find strange is that GS can talk such sense being a pundit but seems to get it horribly wrong sometimes with us. I know anyone can talk a good game.

However there are things that GS is doing that worry me and these started in pre-season.

Matteo playing in central midfield unless we have injuries. I think he does ok as a ball winning midfielder but think he is a reliable centre back and best playing there.

Will Douglas be used when we are completely desperate and only then- deserves a 4yr contract for this role??

Forgetting how influential Tugay was near the end of last season in our must win games. Ok poor earlier in the season but I think one of our best players and signings.

Jansen question- is he upto it or not. Not including him suggests he is not upto it and his confidence goes even lower- may as well loan him then and find out for sure (must be on good wages)

Best starting team- chop and change again? Hope not

Formations- remember when he tryed 4-5-1 at home last season- didnt work the best

I could go on and I have missed out on other things going on that dont make sense. Its far to early to judge him but I am starting to forget how he managed in our good old days of promotion, finishing 10th and 6th.

This must be one of the best threads on the Message Board for some time and just shows how much Rovers fans are desperate for success on the field. Yes GS got it wrong in the first half but at least he had the b**lls to do something about it at half time rather than wait for the last 10/15 mins.

Yes we should beat teams like WBA but lets focus on the positives and the performances of people like Yorke, Fergie, Short, Gray and in the second half Stead.

And please let us take a rationale view after say 12 games rather than the first game of the season. tinykit.gif

Souness...what formation do you think we should play today Phil ? (PB)

Boersma...Well we have a lot to choose from Graham, the squad is almost all available.

Souness...hmmm I cant make my mind up?...4 4 2 or the christmas tree formation.

Boersma... well you will need to hurry up the ref wants the team sheet and the laundry lady is passing his doorin a minute.

Souness... ok lets ask her opinion...Flo....what team would you pick?

Flo......well the pitch does get wet and boggey down that right hand side and i have just spent all week washing and ironing it.

Souness...thats it ! thanks Flo.....get them all to play on the left!!

Well, if some of the defeatist "fans" around here do get their way and force Souness out on a wave of negative energy, one of the headlines in today's Grundian is "Saints to sack Sturrock"...

Remind me who rated Sturrock so highly?

I don't often get to say it but I agree almost entirely with your post Rev.  I know I give you enough stick so it's only fair to give credit where it's due.  It's almost a positive post from you but i'd prefer to say realistic.

thumbs-up.gif

Agreed

Now is not the time to make knee jerk reactions based on the first 45 minutes of the season. However big improvements are required.

One positive was that all the players at least seemed to put 100% effort into Saturdays game, unlike many of the games last year where conceding the first goal caused their "heads to drop"

maybe 'heads will drop' when its actually more than 1 game into the season though....

you cant expect them to drop on a season opener!

Well, if some of the defeatist "fans" around here do get their way and force Souness out on a wave of negative energy, one of the headlines in today's Grundian is "Saints to sack Sturrock"...

Remind me who rated Sturrock so highly?

I think it had some sort of number in it... biggrin.gif

Souness has been quoted in the LET that there will be a different team and formation against Southampton and that the formation used on Saturday was in an attempt to be less vulnerable at home.

Souness hits back at critics

Different team formation - whoppee do! - like tell us something that wasn't obvious.

mmm... less vulnerable - we couldn't have been any more vulnerable if we tried on the right hand side with that formation - barring the likes of Norwich or Palace if we had been playing anybody else the game would have been over and out for us last Saturday.

Defensive at home against a very very average just promoted team - what a load of tosh.

And what's this - he claims owhatsymithingeyabob is actually a winger - thought wingers are not needed anymore in the Premier Mr Souness?

Can all of you looking to just trip Souness up just shut up. Its really getting boring.

Whops soreeee mr eddie person but I thought this was a MB for open discussion.

Think you'll find what is becoming boring is Mr Souness spouting his crap excuses and the gullibles eg YOU believing everything is rosy - which is what annoys us supporters that are actually concerned about what is happening at the club - and I don't just mean of the pitch. We are not blind to our observations

At least us 'boring people' that you state are giving crede and explaining our worries with reasonable explanations primarily before they happen and being proved correct.

I for one am not looking to trip Souness up - just wish he would take stock about what he is saying and to change the record and stop his stupid formations that are making him look like he is a protogee of professor sven yaffle.

None of it is good for the club - I'll admit us being negative does not help but I'd rather express our concerns and hope somebody takes notice (Mr S) than keep stum and things carry on for the worse.

I'm not saying everything is rosy, but what I do realise is that we have a few new players, it's a new season, and we've only played one game. If in 10-15 games time I am still seeing performances like I did in the first half last saturday than I will not deny that something has to be done. However, one game into the season, and I'll just get behind the team.

And if Souness guides this team to success this year, will all of those who have given him such a hard time admit that they were wrong? Maybe he'll make some of the changes you want, but half of you aren't even giving the man a chance this season.

My comment regarding looking to trip souness up was in response to you thinking you'd caught him with your comment about the winger. Unless I've missed something, I always thought Souness believed that you couldn't use TWO wingers, not that you couldn't have one.

You yourself admit that being negative doesn't help, well why don't you just wait then until we really have something to be negative about, not simply a poor performance in one half. Have you ever thought about it, a poor performance in ONE HALF, and you are on the team's back. It's a new season, give it time.

It says everything when the biggest and longest-running topic on here was the classic, always entertaining, 'Souness Must Go'. Perhaps we can keep this one alive until the end of the season too. Are fans of all clubs as optimistic as us lot?

unsure.gif

Yeah OK Eddie.....but I've supported GS since he came and instilled some much needed leardership quality into the club and I still do support him! But that does not mean that he is above constructive criticism. I gotta say that I was absolutely gobsmacked with his starting 11 v WBA!

I said on the other Souness thread that he should emulate Big Sam and recruit people in the areas where he is weak (especially tactics) but apart from a re-shuffle in his backroom staff no one of note appears to have been drafted in.

Id do find GS's apparent lack of tactical nous bloody odd given the mans

almost unparralled playing record not only here but in Italy where tactics play such a huge part of games.

thenodrog, i wasn't at all happy with the first half performance and final result of the game on saturday, having said that, unlike some on this mb, I'm able to realise that it is just one game.

I'm just saying, people may not like our last performance, and if we continue to play that way I'll be saying some of the things they are, but for now, only one game into the season, it's much too early to judge things, and much too early to be getting so negative.

If you look at the results from the weekend, very few teams would be happy with the result, if everyone thought like some of those who post on this board, there would only be about 4 teams with managers at this point.

Just heard Dinnis`s comments.

He felt Souey was guilty of putting square pegs in round holes last week and doubted that Wenger or Fergie would do it. He couldnt understand why Gresko was preferred to Flitty or Tugay but did acknowledge that the home record was appalling last year so something had to be done. He described the first half as shameful but felt that the side that finished the game should start tomorrow.

Souey said that thommo isn`t quite right yet for a return but it will be soon.Ferguson was also interviewed and said that the training so far has concentrated on the defensive side so that the poor home form will not be repeated.

Dinnis does not seem to have too much time for our Graeme as a coach so his comments have to be taken in context. Souey himself was very prickly when asked about last week and commented on the views of amateurs not really knowing the game and questioning his tactics. All in all a very interesting programme.

This has gotten way too old. We had one bad season in 4. Injuries to our best players, two "star" players who could not be arsed to show up most games. Souness brought through Gally, Douglas and Bought Stead, though the detractors say that was pure fortune. Conveniently forgetting that Souness had him watched for a year and that he was the only top flight manager with the Gonads big enough to go for it.

Give this bloke a good run with his regulars, a fully fit squad, if he's not getting it done can him and replace him with ???? Oh perhaps Sturrock will be available by then. Ternent is out of work. Give the Souness a bloody chance to put it right.

He got us back in the Prem and we are still in the Prem.

Sorry prawn sandwich brigade wannabe's it IS good enough for me. Now let's move on.

Souey himself was very prickly when asked about last week and commented on the views of amateurs not really knowing the game and questioning his tactics. All in all a very interesting programme.

When he starts getting the tactics right again, we'll stop questioning them. Until then, as the people who ultimately stump up the cash which pays his wages, we have every right to be critical. This isn't to say I am defecting to the "Souness out" camp, but many more will if he starts rounding on the fans when things go pear-shaped. The tatics first half against WBA were wrong; if they had been correct, we wouldn't have had to change them at half time and we would have won the game - not exactly rocket science Graeme.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.