BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Verdict On Souness

All this means stuff all to me at the moment.

Couldn't give a stuff about the Rovers........

you see, a mate of mine has just died.

He, like me loved his football (he was spuds supporter) he loved to play, but five years ago he got told he had motor neurone disease. Now, for those that don't know what that is all about, your body gradually closes down, slowly. Your mind doesn't. You gradually get worse until you can't use any muscles to breath.

What makes this worse is that another mate has got the same problem, but the likelyhood is that he'll go quicker.

Two mates that I played footy with in recent times, we used to laugh and joke at each others teams problems.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see this thread is making it's way back to the top just because we got beat on saturday. even though i was not at the game on saturday, surely there was nothing wrong with the team performance at all. what was wrong was that the ref gave a penalty against us for the somwething that 1) 99% of other referees would not have given and 2) that kind of header, is won all the time by defenders the length and breadth of the country. we all would have been happy with a point going into the 90th minute of saturdays game.....but before it ended we are all ###### off and some again questioning soueys tactics etc etc. we don't like to blame refs at all but sometimes they gave decisions that put teams in somewhat of a sticky situation and also that beggar believe....that penalty was opne of them decisions.

So far this season I have been very impressed with Rovers displays and I believe that we should have 4 points not one as the defence has come short at both games but the penalty was a farse. I'm not blaming Souness as he is the best thing to happen to the club since 94/95 cup winning season. And if the "fans" do force him out who the heck are we gonna get? Hoddle?! Graham?!

We have no money and a low attendance, hell we could even end up with Glen Roeder! Now who wants that to happen? Didn't think so. Get behind the team.

After watching the performance against Southampton you've gotta wonder whether Souness has lost the dressing room altogether.

We're playing like we did last season - with no sense of urgency (apart from Stead who is inspirational). A better team would have stuffed us.

It just seems like the players have no motivation - and we're at the start of the season.

This is a continuation of the performances from last season and I fear for our Premiership survival unless things change. sad.gif

There's been plenty of good comments (and Jan's) so not much to add really.

Like everyone here (?) I want to see the club do well and I'm not ashamed to say I'd like to see that with GS in charge. And I hope that'll happen. But I can see parallels with what happened when Reid was in charge at Sunderland : 'experts' outside the club don't think there is too much wrong but fans are getting more disillusioned. Hope there isn't a similar outcome with some has-been like Wilko taking the reins to guide the club towards relegation. By the way, still haven't seen a suggestion as to a successor who is (1) realistic and (2) available.

DB - my sympathies. If it's possible, I know (a bit) what these things are like. Puts this little debate into some sort of perspective.

I'm making no comment here other than to suggest that an analysis of GS's last two months in which he has made some particularly unfathomable decisions and especially given the backdrop of last seasons shambolic performance eg.......

1. Sold Cole

2. Kept Yorke

3. Played Emerton at full back (twice! When it was obvious after WBA that he could not prevent single cross coming over).

4. Matteo on the left wing.

5. Played Friedal when unfit.

6. Gresko and Di pedro in the same position with nobody on the right.

7. AND worst......Publically criticised the paying fans criticism of his tactics.

might suggest that he is actually angling for the sack!?! blink.gif

By the way, still haven't seen a suggestion as to a successor who is (1) realistic and (2) available.

Well, I'm not in the "souness must go" camp, but IF he did go then what about Moyes? If Everton do sell Rooney then Moyes will probbaly resign, even if they keep him we could probably lure him away from Everton - I don't think he's happy there. BUT, I'd rather Souness turn things around at Rovers.

Is this the new soundbite- "losing the dressing room" . How can that conclusion be reached from only 2 games in? The team have not played badly in either game and are unlucky to have only 1 point. The performances in both games have improved as the game has developed which to me is a positive rather than a negative. Do we really want a situation like southampton who have had 6 managers in 6 seasons? You cannot base opinions on a match to match basis otherwise you will end up tearing your hair out- sure we have 3 very tough games coming up but we have to hold our nerve. We are never going to win the league or probably finish in the top three but if we maintain our prem status then that will be a significant achievement for the country`s most successful town team club.

would anyone other than Jan complain if i started changing her posts so they just said ditto?

And Then, from what I can gather Souness' coments were about southampton and Sturrock not Rovers fans.

Although I couldnt blame him at the moment if he did.

I'm making no comment here other than to suggest that an analysis of GS's last two months in which he has made some particularly unfathomable decisions and especially given the backdrop of last seasons shambolic performance eg.......

1. Sold Cole

2. Kept Yorke

3. Played Emerton at full back (twice! When it was obvious after WBA that he could not prevent single cross coming over).

4. Matteo on the left wing.

5. Played Friedal when unfit.

6. Gresko and Di pedro in the same position with nobody on the right.

7. AND worst......Publically criticised the paying fans criticism of his tactics.

might suggest that he is actually angling for the sack!?! blink.gif

I dont think anyone can argue with these points !!

well said.........

I'm making no comment here other than to suggest that an analysis of GS's last two months in which he has made some particularly  unfathomable decisions and especially given the backdrop of last seasons shambolic performance eg.......

1.  Sold Cole

2.  Kept Yorke

3.  Played Emerton at full back (twice!  When it was obvious after WBA that he could not prevent  single cross coming over).

4.  Matteo on the left wing.

5.  Played Friedal when unfit.

6.  Gresko and Di pedro in the same position with nobody on the right.

7.  AND worst......Publically criticised the paying fans criticism of his tactics.

might suggest that he is actually angling for the sack!?!    blink.gif

I dont think anyone can argue with these points !!

well said.........

I disagree with point 7 - I think he's been misquoted - noones actually shown me when he said it and where? I think his comments about Southampton and Sturock have been takenm out of context

would anyone other than Jan complain if i started changing her posts so they just said ditto?

And Then, from what I can gather Souness' coments were about southampton and Sturrock not Rovers fans.

Although I couldnt blame him at the moment if he did.

I don't think you'd notice the difference as sadly they have become oh so predictable.

Don't know how much truth is in this but my uncle has been told by a board member (did tell me his name but can't remember) that Sourness has been told he has 8 games before his position will be reviewed, suppose it would explain his caution (cough crazy formations cough) Edited by laughatthedingles

It's the second game of the season, we have a few new/inexperienced players, and we always have a better second half of the season. So let's not all explode with fury, paranoia and bile yet.

It'll be best not to sack Souness ASAP, otherwise we'll probably end up with a plonker like Hoddle or Reid.

I actually think we have a good squad of players.

Maybe you could say we are lacking real quality at centre back but overall we have options everywhere else.

We should go back to basics with tactics and 4-4-2 and stop the crazy obsession with playing people out of position.

Now, Ok you've sold me on it, SOUNESS OUT, yep loser, let's get shut. Now that's off me chest who are we replacing him with.

What GOOD manager wants to come here? No money, poor support and according to many of you @#/? players to start with.

Who who who I ask who.

I'll make a statement right now if Souness was sacked tomorrow most of you lot would not give the "new" manager half a dozen games and you would be after him being sacked too if he lost a few.

After the end of September things will start to look up, not until then so be patient and be prepared for a rough ride for a while.

Id say Souness seriously has two games against the two SCUMS to put some points on the table.4 points and we can move on.2 we can consider it.1 its too painful.0 points and then the sack must really be a possibility.

I'm glad I don't work for you, if all Prem managers were judged on their results against Arsenal, Man U and Newcastle there would be a constant stream of managers in and out of this league.

What GOOD manager wants to come here? No money, poor support and according to many of you @#/? players to start with.

Tonight's team selection was quite good...but anyone, and I literally mean anyone, in the Premiership and probably Division One would have picked better starting line-ups than the ones we played for the first few games.

I like the way Nigel Worthington has Norwich playing, they have played Man Utd and Newcastle in the last two games and they played good football with attacking wide men...not necessarily wingers, but attacking nonetheless. They drew with Newcastle tonight and were unlucky not to get a point from Man Utd as well.

Peter Taylor is another that I would be happy with, he has a very good record apart from one dodgy season with Leicester, he likes his teams to have good balance though and he gets them playing a good style of football. He took Hull up from Division Three last season and would surely jump at the chance to come back to the Premiership.

Iain Dowie would also be another very good choice, I like what he's doing at Palace and I'm always very impressed with the way he talks about the game, he could be the right sort of man for us.

If the weird team selections and negative tactics continue though I would take anyone instead of Souey...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.