SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bournemouth

Paul

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets TRY and look positive for a second.

Granted I wasent there however from what I heard we had most of the posession and had about 25 shots on goal (as should be) The team played well apart from 3 goals (which is not good obviously)

Put it this way (and this is the way I look at things) I would rather lose tonight than lose on Monday. Besides, wouldnt you rather win the FA Cup?

Just trying to look on the brightside - someone has to

The team weren't up for the game. At 1-0 we had a couple of chances and some pressure, but failed to kill the game off. Second half we didn't really ever look like scoring and then we switched off to let them get a goal up. If that's all we've got in reserve it's going to be a long wait until the transfer window opens again.

How can a striker, regardless of his confidence, not score a penalty. I mean, he never even hit the bloody target. Awful defending however, especially for the third goal - No one picked up the runner who scored and instead of using the cliche "When in doubt - kick it out," Nissa decided to let Bournmouth have another crack at the whip.... mad.gif

WHAT STRENGTHS?

350 shots with 3 goals to show. They came near our goal three times and our defenders let them in each time!

I said about Amauseless before we bought him!! Rangers were laughing all the way to the bank. Actually most of the teams we gave free money to did!

We lost to BOURNEMOUTH!!!

For the first time I wish we were in the championship. At least then we'd be able to replace the ****

Very embarassing. Don't want to go into detail because I'm too downbeat now.

Nissa, for all the times I've praised him, had a bit of a shocker, Amo was little better. Neill and Gresko didn't cover themselves in glory, but were at least willing to go forward.

Emerton was our best player. He ran at people and produced deeper crosses, which is what everybody wanted. A tactical switch to bring Gally on forced him to RB which limited his attacking threat in ET.

Douglas is a terrible player. Here he was with a chance to play in his favoured central midfield position against a team of hackers. He blew it. People saying he can't be worse than Flitcroft are dead wrong. Missed one particularly glorious opportunity when Emerton crossed from the by-line.

De Pedro and MGP had better games. Both still showed flaws - de Pedro isn't a skillful player and MGP hasn't quite got into the stride and looks in the need of confidence. His goal will help no end, and he thumped his penalty home. De Pedro's forward passing is absolutely top notch and he delivered at least one pin-point cross. His square balls and passing across goals leave a lot to be desired, and put us in danger a few times.

Jansen had a bit of a non-event. He still doesn't look Prem class. Bothroyd saw a lot of the ball but this wasn't his night. Gally worked hard but his distribution was poor. Well-taken goal though. Stead looked short on confidence and his penalty miss reflected this.

Can't really blame people in a shootout situation. Tugay should be hitting the target, but we all get on with it. Collective blame in this situation.

The team didn't play all that well. the team lacked a cutting edge. The team showed desire to claw back the second goal. The team let it slip again in a pressure situation. The team needs to do better.

Sound's a cliche but I think that Premiership survival is a lot more important than a run in a cup competition. Anyone who disagrees seriously needs their brain checking

+ if it was a league match we would have got a point.

Good luck to the Cherries in the next round and here's to Villa thumping the Dingles at Turf Moor next month

I was going to list quite a few points after watching that tonight but Bellamy11 has more or less told it as I saw it. Emerton was far and away the MOTM for Rovers. Over the last 3 games his confidence has gone up a mile and he looks a player again.

MGP played well. He should do against the likes of Bournemouth but he did and I think he'll take confidence from this and go on. De Pedro just seems too slooooow.

Agree about Douglas. He did a good job under drastic circumstances last year but he's not good enough. Also agree about Jansen. He's still got a shot on him but his close control and abiity to run with the ball seems poor.

One final point. I'm not overly bothered what Gallacher's attitude off the pitch is like. Cantona came across at times as the most pompous twit you could meet. Once he's on the pitch he seems to give 100% and seems to have the ability to back it up. If there's one player who now needs a run of games to prove himself at the required level it's him. Problem is where does he fit into the team?

I think Hughes has made his first significant error.

Don't get me wrong - I think he's the right appointment and his fresh ideas and innovative backroom staff will - in the long term - be the right combination for Rovers.

However, tonight was a good - in fact an easy - opportunity to prolong the honeymoon period, which instead has lasted exactly 6 days, and now the media hawks will be out in force hoping Hughes fails again live on Sky next Monday.

Hughes' initial comments about this game which I posted on page 4 of this thread (Premiership = priority, this game is to view fringe players) now look totally accurate as he dropped 9 players from Saturday. The rather belated (and rather false) quotes in which he tried to backtrack on those comments (Lee posted a link) never made it past the official site.

So I for one hope that Hughes learns from this and come January 1st/2nd - his next chance to put fringe players into a first team game which doesn't compromise us in the Premier League - he's watched their form in the reserves and in training first.

And - not quite just for the record - mainly for Janice and co - Souness' record in this CUP over the last three seasons reads like this :

WON IT - SEMI FINALISTS v Man Utd - robbed all guns blazing by LIVERPOOL.

I take absolutely no pleasure from pointing this out - I'm gutted not to be going through in a competition which has been good to us -

BUT maybe people on this board will stop mis-representing our cup record over the last few seasons and finally move on from slagging Souness on twisted perceptions which have no grounding in fact.

Just watched the highlights on Granada and our defending was abysmal for all three goals.

For Bournemouth's first both Amoruso and Nissa just waved a leg lazily at the ball before it got through to their striker. For the second Gresko was hopelessly out-muscled by their player. And for the third no-one was marking anyone - this with less than five minutes to go when we're a goal up.

Hughes has got lots of work to do this season.

I think Hughes has made his first significant error.

Don't get me wrong - I think he's the right appointment and his fresh ideas and innovative backroom staff will - in the long term - be the right combination for Rovers.

However, tonight was a good - in fact an easy - opportunity to prolong the honeymoon period, which instead has lasted exactly 6 days, and now the media hawks will be out in force hoping Hughes fails again live on Sky next Monday.

Hughes' initial comments about this game which I posted on page 4 of this thread (Premiership = priority, this game is to view fringe players) now look totally accurate as he dropped 9 players from Saturday. The rather belated (and rather false) quotes in which he tried to backtrack on those comments (Lee posted a link) never made it past the official site.

So I for one hope that Hughes learns from this and come January 1st/2nd - his next chance to put fringe players into a first team game which doesn't compromise us in the Premier League - he's watched their form in the reserves and in training first.

And - not quite just for the record - mainly for Janice and co - Souness' record in this CUP over the last three seasons reads like this :

WON IT - SEMI FINALISTS v Man Utd - robbed all guns blazing by LIVERPOOL.

I take absolutely no pleasure from pointing this out - I'm gutted not to be going through in a competition which has been good to us -

BUT maybe people on this board will stop mis-representing our cup record over the last few seasons and finally move on from slagging Souness on twisted perceptions which have no grounding in fact.

Most predictable post of the evening. You take no pleasure in it - ha! You couldn't bloody wait to post that.

For what it's worth, I never had any objection with Souness's team selections for the cup competitions. I did, however, have a massive objection to the teams' attitude that I think stemmed from Souness's apparent attitude to most of the cup games - especially last season.

Tonight Hughes took the opportunity to look at the rest of his squad, a perfectly understandable thing to do in the current circumstances. They should still have been good enough to beat Bournemouth. Hopefully he's learnt a few things and we'll be able to stay up this season, because it's going to be tight I suspect.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.