BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bournemouth

Paul

Hey, Capt, what about the previous couple of matches, against Prem opposition, how did he look to you in those? (Not being sarcastic, just looking for the opinion of a non-Emerton fan who goes to the matches. T4E, feel free to chime in.)

He looked more like a person reputedly to be Bret Emerton on reputation, boosted by a new lease of life and confidence.

I can say have been fairly impressed but still feel his final ball is very very poor - last night he went some way to changing this and carry on as he is I can honestly say I will be eating humble bumble pie with cream (which I am glad to admit) sooner rather than later.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This situation is going to test MH's man-management skills!

He will be doing a bit of straight talking no doubt.

At the start of the season, Mr Roversmum said, with disappointment, that he had hoped the squad would return looking fitter, however, it seemed that they had regressed rather than progressed.

I'm disappointed about the Cup, without doubt, but at least MH is now aware of what he has to do without risking inferior squad players in a Premier match.

In a way it was quite shocking, each and every one of those players is capable of so much more.

This squad have never been really fit and pacy, they have some serious work ahead of them and some of them aren't going to like it much.

It's pretty much all been said, for me the positives were:

Hughesy knows the situation and he was honest about it.

Jansen played two hours and didn't appear to tire. I feel there is hope for him and the fans that he can make it back. I, for one, thought we'd seen the last of Matty and it would be great to be wrong on that.

Emerton - if he keeps this up we could have a very exciting player on our hands. I say this as one of his biggest critics. The last three games I have seen Brett has really tried to perform. perhaps we could have a chant for him by the Villa game?

Pedersen - yep, I think he could develop into a player

Gally/Stead/Jansen/Pedersen - there were a couple of moments when all four of them played together with speed, control and exhilaration. If this can be built on - I know we probably won't have all four on the pitch often - we may see some of the younger element coming through to create real excitment at Ewood.

Emerton/Neil - again moments when they worked as a good combination

One quick question - I can't catch the Hughes army song. It sounds like Sparky Hughesy Blue and White army but I get the impression there's something else in there as well?

Glad the light helped bob and Sox. laugh.gif

One quick question - I can't catch the Hughes army song. It sounds like Sparky Hughesy Blue and White army but I get the impression there's something else in there as well?

Glad the light helped bob and Sox. laugh.gif

Its plain old 'Mark Hugheses Blue And White Army' etc etc

PS After yout tip , I downloaded the bike light instructions and I will be taking them to every match in future.

PPS MGP has a good touch , good turn & abundent confidence - soon he will be the first name on the teamsheet.

cool.giftinykit.gif

Paul, we're looking at the same silver lined cloud. After a bit of considering today, I was just about to put a few thoughts in writing but you've stolen most of em!

I was brassed off last night but have a bit of optimism now - Hughes has seen most of the squad in match action now.

Plus points (only a few, wouldn't want to get carried away wink.gif ) - Bert Emmerton (copyright Bob F I think), still plenty of room for improvement but he's a damned sight better than end of last season. OK, he wasn't playing at the end of the season, but you know what I mean. Jansen, he wasn't brilliant last night but not bad, add that to the Portsmouth game and signs are promising. MGP had his moments too. And Gally looked lively when he came on.

Perhaps I've just got used to Rovers' poor performances over the last year or so, but I really don't think anyone was THAT poor last night. Nissa wasn't too good but the whole defence was v ordinary - o to have a regular centre back pair.

I thought Del Pedalo (damn, more royalties owed to Bob F) was OK whilst he was on. Why did we bother playing Toogs though since the tactic for the most part was to belt the ball from defence up to the front runners?

We had FAR more of that game, same old story that the defence needs sorting out. Yep, we'll sometimes lose games that we ought to win, it's happened before and it'll happen again.

Anyway, that's enough random thoughts.

There a coupla postives which i have managed to drag from this dreadful result.

1.) Emerton was again superb, setting up 2 and scoring himself. He has been our player of the season so far, and im desperate for him to be fit for charlton

2.) MGP, played quite nicely and scored a good goal which should help his confidence.

3.) We didnt actually lose, we drew (boy am i clutching at straws)

4.) Jansen worked hard but should have scored

5.) It was a reserve team

As for the negatives, there are too many to list including how we managed to concede 3 goals to a league 1 team. If we played arsenal and scored 3 i wud expect a comfortable 3 points.

Looked from the highlights like classic Rovers defending. It seems to me that since henning Berg left we have lacked leadership, particularly at the back. You need people to want to get to the ball first when it comnes in the box but how many times do you see it bouncing through the area with everyone leaving it for someone else. Its pathetic. How many goals have we conceded over the last year and a bit from failing to clear simple balls.

On Emerton, I've never been a fan, apart from his debut of course. His crapness could be down to how he's been told to play however as Souness was very sceptical of wingers I think. Maybe its time for him to show us what he can do at last.

How did Lucas Neill perform against 3rd division players? Like he always does I suppose, @#/?.

Sounds like the game was very much in the mould of the Genclerbirligi home leg match, plenty of chances, Matt Jansen was playing and was profligate and comedy defending ensured disappointment for Rovers fans by the end.

All we needed was for Grabbi to make one last Ewood appearance by streaking when Rovers were on the attack and spooning an open goal over the bar.

I agree with Tris that Hughes made a big mistake in making so many changes. 9 changes was too many and was sure to bring in a complacency factor amongst the players who probably thought they were going for a stroll.

However, there are positives to take from the game. One, Hughes is now fully aware of our defensive achilles' heel and our generally inadequate fitness levels.

MGP, Gallagher, Emerton all did enough to suggest they'd be integral parts for the future.

Finally, I hope Hughes is now aware that Tugay is past-it. He makes Jamie Redknapp and Darren Anderton look mobile.

A lot of folks reckon Gally did well when he came on. Does anyone else think he was terrible, apart from his goal?

I don't think he found another blue and white shirt all night. More than once hughes turned away shaking his head at Gally's poor passing.

Sounds like the game was very much in the mould of the Genclerbirligi home leg match, plenty of chances, Matt Jansen was playing and was profligate and comedy defending ensured disappointment for Rovers fans by the end.

All we needed was for Grabbi to make one last Ewood appearance by streaking when Rovers were on the attack and spooning an open goal over the bar.

I agree with Tris that Hughes made a big mistake in making so many changes. 9 changes was too many and was sure to bring in a complacency factor amongst the players who probably thought they were going for a stroll.

However, there are positives to take from the game. One, Hughes is now fully aware of our defensive achilles' heel and our generally inadequate fitness levels.

MGP, Gallagher, Emerton all did enough to suggest they'd be integral parts for the future.

Finally, I hope Hughes is now aware that Tugay is past-it. He makes Jamie Redknapp and Darren Anderton look mobile.

you didnt go? dry.gif

I noticed that one Burnley fan made post.

I winder if Burnley will now be twinned with Bournemouth or if their fans will start taking holidays there.

winder away

at least we felt able to support our team without someone pumping 100's of millions in - something only a few regulars at deadwood can say today

I noticed that one Burnley fan made  post.

I winder if Burnley will now be twinned with Bournemouth or if their fans will start taking holidays there.

winder away

at least we felt able to support our team without someone pumping 100's of millions in - something only a few regulars at deadwood can say today

A few regulars? You seemed quite sensible when you started posting but if you want to volunteer for the role of board idiot then Sam Dingle already fills that role i'm afraid.

You seemed quite sensible when you started posting

A schoolboy error there Manchester Blue. Just because longsiders1882 comes across as being reasonable and fair minded, doesn't mean that as soon as he makes a post on here he's off to his own messageboard to say how "unbelievable" we all are. t'Blah t'Blah t'Blah

Good question 92er by the way. Clearly too much for our man from burnley.

you didnt go? dry.gif

Never does, but some idiots on here hang on his every word !

you didnt go? dry.gif

Never does, but some idiots on here hang on his every word !

And goes on other supporters mb's commenting on the games as well.

blink.gif

How can anyone have a go at Hughes for his team line up. When I heard the team sheet, my initial thought was good, well balanced team - giving fringe players a run out, and chance to impress.

Lets not forget that this team was packed with internationals and one on paper easily good enough to beat Bournemouth.

But for some fine goal keeping, and poor finishing we would have won this one easily.

I prefer to take the positives - Hughes now knows the size of his task with our defence and fitness.

Already he seems to be instilling more confidence into players like Emerton and Jansen. For me his team selections so far (only two I know) have shown balance and a sensible formation given the players at his disposal.

Best of all - no excuses, no mention of lady luck, no mention of all the chances we had. Just an obvious commitment to put right all the problems that Souness left him with.

Another point for those having a go at Hughes - the guy has only been in the job a week - it will take a lot longer than that for his tactics and approach to the game to start impacting on the team pattern.

I'm still optimistic that Hughes is the man for the job - even after such a poor defeat tinykit.gif

I noticed that one Burnley fan made  post.

winder away

You just had to spoil yourself didn't you,engage your brain before you open your mouth on here pal...we understand the difficulty in that task with you being one of 'them'.

If only you had a Jack Walker eh,you could do a re-run of the infamous Turd moor 'team of the seventies'!! laugh.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.