BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

On 13/02/2014 at 21:36, Gav said:

Have you tried the Cartford Inn at Great Eccleston, fantastic, best pub food I've had in years.

On 19/02/2014 at 22:48, Peter said:

GAV, vintageadidas........

Just been t'Cartford.

Top drawer.

Had the Venison stew special which was flawless (although slightly meagre at £13-odd). Also had a fancy Bread-and-Butter pudding which was quite honestly the finest desert I've ever had. :blush:

Fairly local to me living in Garstang, would certainly reccomend.

Regards

Pete

I'm booked in at Cartford Inn again in a few weeks time, not been for a while living outside the area, but looking forward to it, never fails to deliver.

On 25/03/2023 at 10:01, JohnD said:

Is the Freemasons at Wiswell still decent?

I haven't been for a while, but it's number 3 in the country on the list above, so I guess it is. As I said above the Parkers Arms and the White Swan are both better in my opinion.

On 26/03/2023 at 08:10, Gav said:

I'm booked in at Cartford Inn again in a few weeks time, not been for a while living outside the area, but looking forward to it, never fails to deliver.

I'll be honest with you, I've been a couple of times over the last 12 months and I think it's poor and overpriced

14 hours ago, LDRover said:

I'll be honest with you, I've been a couple of times over the last 12 months and I think it's poor and overpriced

Its not cheap I'll give you that, but I've never known it to be 'Poor'.

I'll report back. 

Edited by Gav

I tell you what is a crying shame though, the loss of the 'old' Spread Eagle at Mellor. 

There really was nowhere to touch it locally before they sold it to Greene King. 

Does anyone know if the old proprietors (and more importantly the chef) have pitched up somewhere else?

8 hours ago, LDRover said:

I tell you what is a crying shame though, the loss of the 'old' Spread Eagle at Mellor. 

There really was nowhere to touch it locally before they sold it to Greene King. 

Does anyone know if the old proprietors (and more importantly the chef) have pitched up somewhere else?

I remember the place shutting down about 10yrs ago (Probably 15) and opening up again with strange marble statues throughout the place? 

Is that the one that’s gone to Greene King? Or had the place had another reinvention since the one I mentioned? 

The decline of The Cartford Inn has been greatly exaggerated!

Ate there last night, as good as ever. Scallops, Oysters, French onion soup, duck, lamb, lobster and Margaritas.

Superb and the added bonus, you can buy the legendary French Onion soup and bowl in the shop!

550F9063-E40C-4843-985D-E618C7FB2482.jpeg

57AB8CE6-7C5B-4369-95AB-DC7AFB2B1BA5.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 02/04/2023 at 11:04, LDRover said:

Is that the one at the cross roads; almost in Ramsgreave? If so, I remember, before they took it over, they had the Myerscough opposite British Aerospace at Samlesbury. That was a well run pub with excellent food. We were sorry to see them leave the Myerscough.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 24/05/2023 at 22:55, bazza said:

Is that the one at the cross roads; almost in Ramsgreave? If so, I remember, before they took it over, they had the Myerscough opposite British Aerospace at Samlesbury. That was a well run pub with excellent food. We were sorry to see them leave the Myerscough.

I ate a couple of times in the Myerscough, and on the first occasion, being a Robinsons pub, I thought that they would have Old Tom on draught. Alas not and when i enquired I was told that they had taken it off to protect any drivers who came for a meal and would just have one pint. A pint of Old Tom would put most people over the limit.

The food was excellent as Baz says. 

37 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I ate a couple of times in the Myerscough, and on the first occasion, being a Robinsons pub, I thought that they would have Old Tom on draught. Alas not and when i enquired I was told that they had taken it off to protect any drivers who came for a meal and would just have one pint. A pint of Old Tom would put most people over the limit.

The food was excellent as Baz says. 

There used to be two “ Robinson’s “ pubs in Rochdale. Now there’s only one. Neither of them would sell you a pint of “ Old Tom “. You could have a half or a “ pony “. A “ pony “ was about a third of a pint. My first wife liked a few halves - until she walked out of the pub one night and just collapsed in the middle of the road.

The pub I’ll be off to in half an hour still sells “ Old Tom “ all year round but only in bottles. About a month before Xmas he’ll get it in on drought for a couple of months.

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The cracking boozer that is the Black Horse in Preston often has it on. Had a pint of it post PNE away… that deadened the pain a little.

I was about to recommend The Black Horse, Friargate, Preston. Not only is it a Robinsons pub but it is well worth visiting for the nostalgia of what a pub of yesteryear was like. It's a superb preserved building both inside and out.

Not to be confused with The Black Bull which is opposite Greyfriars Wetherspoons.

Edited by bazza
Additional info.

• 3 weeks later...

For the curry aficionado's amongst us, I can highly recommend this place on the outskirts of Bradford: - https://www.prashad.co.uk/

This isn't your 10 pints and a curry type of place, its fine dining and vegetarian, but don't let that put you off! Its very relaxed and being a full carnivore myself, I didn't miss meat a bit.

Exquisites food, elevated to a new level, you'll not be disappointed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm putting this here as to not clutter up the transfer thread............

All the talk of John Bull's got me looking. I grew up in East Lancs and had never heard of one. Thanks to YouTube and Holly Tree Chippy I now know.

YouTube: Holly Tree Chippy John Bull

It consists of mince sandwiched by 2 slices of potato, then battered and fried.