BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time Up Pompey?

Stuart

Im assuming they'd get a large points deduction if they recieved the parachute payment. Because it is obviously only intended for clubs who are already relegated, Pompey would surely be put in a position whereby they would stand no chance of remaining in the league.

I dont know how selling players will help considering Boateng cannot play for another team this season, O'Hara is a loan, Dindane is a loan and James wouldnt command any sort of fee. They have no players to sell.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - so even if advancing parachute payments and selling off the odd player keeps them going until the end of the season. What happens when they are relegated? How are they going to cope next season without the parachute payment that has been used to keep them going until May.

Or is this purely about retaining the image of the Premier League as the 'greatest league in the world' and once they are in the Championship they become somebody elses problem. If the penalty mentioned by Nico was a points-penalty this would almost guarantee said relegation and take the problem out of the Premier Leagues arena....conveniently.

OK - so even if advancing parachute payments and selling off the odd player keeps them going until the end of the season. What happens when they are relegated? How are they going to cope next season without the parachute payment that has been used to keep them going until May.

Or is this purely about retaining the image of the Premier League as the 'greatest league in the world' and once they are in the Championship they become somebody elses problem. If the penalty mentioned by Nico was a points-penalty this would almost guarantee said relegation and take the problem out of the Premier Leagues arena.

I think you've nailed it. The Premier League seems intent on retaining it's glossy, picture perfect image. While we all know about the problems at Pompey, how is the news reported abroad where the TV rights are worth an absolute mint?

I hope the PL lawyers are looking at that advance of the parachute money.

They cannot pretend not knowing there is a real risk of a WINDING UP order being granted in which case it would be like flushing £16m down the loo. Presumably they are sending a letter to the Court saying that the advance would be forthcoming were the club only to go into administration.

Pompey will get permission to sell players - or do the deals to guarantee their eventual transfers.

The problem is going to be finding buyers. Football is skint right now and many decent-sized clubs simply do not have spare funds.

The Premier League will also advance them the parachute money...without a vote.

But there may be a penalty involved in that.

And even that cash might not keep them going.

Shambles.

And will the same consideration be given to any other club finding themselves in the same sort of situation in the PL at some future date? I think we all know the answer to that one

no that is good because if FIFA were to grant it every other club in similar situations would be asking for that kind of help and it is a disgrace how they are able to run a business so shabbily and every other club lives within their means this would probably be the end now glad FIFA made a stand!

No Pompey are as bad as West Ham in having wrecked the PL finances for clubs like Rovers.

West Ham also cheated the other clubs repeatedly over Tevez and we will wait for the tax cases before saying anything more about Pompey.

Whilst the rest of the press are saying FIFA are not playing ball, nicko is backing up his story that the PL are reluctantly willing to help but with a big twist.

The advance of the parachute payment brings a 9 point deduction penalty with it!

And of course, even the advance parachute (of £11m) and transfer sales will only make a small dent in the £60m debt in total. By fighting and causing Court appointed accountants to look at their state of affairs, Pompey have effectively put all £60m into play now, not just the £12m or so HMRC are chasing.

I don't know if the PL can go it alone with allowing transfers in the face of a FIFA refusal- a little twist is that Boateng and Belhadj are not British nationals so I guess the Home Office will want to see what FIFA say/do before allowing new work permits for them (although does Boateng have German cover?)... FIFA saying no of course means no non-English club could buy so the players must be agreived that their bargaining power is reduced by not being in a world market.

Surely, the agents are advising the players to stay where they are because they will effectively become free agents when Pompey go bust.

This is a horrible car crash in slowmo and as every day goes by, the prospect of a winding up order rather than administration is increasing. The Pompey strategy of not selling in the window and not going for voluntary administration is looking more and more quixotic unless they knew all along that there was zero hope and so simply staggered on in the hope that something would turn up. The Pompey board minutes must be a work of legal art if the directors are going to walk out of this one legally unscathed.

It's just a big shame this is happening to a relatively decent club like Pompey, and not Man City or Chelsea.

I don't think they are a relatively decent club. Man City and Chelsea can afford to splash the cash. Pompey couldn't but did it anyway. As far as I'm concerned Harry has to take a lot of the blame for the situation Pompey are in, it seems he carried on spending money without any concern for the clubs stability and as soon as the club started getting into financial trouble he was off.

I do feel for the fans though, I dread to think what it would be like not knowing if your club will exist next season.

I don't think they are a relatively decent club. Man City and Chelsea can afford to splash the cash. Pompey couldn't but did it anyway. As far as I'm concerned Harry has to take a lot of the blame for the situation Pompey are in, it seems he carried on spending money without any concern for the clubs stability and as soon as the club started getting into financial trouble he was off.

I do feel for the fans though, I dread to think what it would be like not knowing if your club will exist next season.

He was stating yesterday in the press that it was all nothing to do with him. He reckons his current chief exec or whatever they call him at spurs would say no if a player was too expensive. However, surely he must have had an idea about the players he was suggesting to Portsmouth being too expensive without needing to be told. I too think he is much to blame.

Pompey will get permission to sell players - or do the deals to guarantee their eventual transfers.

The problem is going to be finding buyers. Football is skint right now and many decent-sized clubs simply do not have spare funds.

The Premier League will also advance them the parachute money...without a vote.

But there may be a penalty involved in that.

And even that cash might not keep them going.

Shambles.

But all clubs are allowed to buy and sell players out of the transfer window. We could line up deals for several players for the summer transfer window and have everything signed and sealed apart from payment and player registration. The proof that there is an income for players in 3 months time could be enough to satisfy some of the debtors.

I have no issue with Pompey receiving the parachute payment early to help secure the future of the club. I would pay them that on receipt of a plan to clear debts and incur an incoming transfer embargo on the club for the whole of next season. This may see the club drop down to League One but the club will have a far better chance of existing. the players also have a huge part to play in this. If they all agreed to drop salaries to a sensible level for 12months or so then the cash saved would help no end. A couple of million could be raised in no time, however there is not much chance of that even though a majority of the squad will be near millionaires.

He was stating yesterday in the press that it was all nothing to do with him. He reckons his current chief exec or whatever they call him at spurs would say no if a player was too expensive. However, surely he must have had an idea about the players he was suggesting to Portsmouth being too expensive without needing to be told. I too think he is much to blame.

This is one of the reasons that I am happy we have a manager like Sam, we may not be keen on his style of play or team selection but he has the clubs interests at heart, he is sharing the responsibility of running the club with the board instead of constantly demanding silly money for well over rated players.

Sam is a real club manager and not a coach that most clubs have nowadays, coaches demand money for transfers in return for 'success'. Managers manage the club on a day to day basis. Pompey got their success by winning the FA Cup, but what a price to pay for that now.

Portsmouth could have a fifth owner this season after Hong Kong-based investment company Endeavor Plan viewed documents relating to the club's financial position and informed Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie of its interest in buying out current owner Balram Chainrai.

Full story: The Guardian

The south coast club's plea to allow them to sell players outside the transfer window has fallen on deaf ears at Fifa.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Pompey are clear to sell their players under a little-known 'club in crisis' rule but, in the process, they will be hit with a nine-point penalty by the Premier League.

Full story: Daily Mirror

But the cash-strapped Fratton Park outfit have been offered a loan of £10m from West Ham co-owner David Gold offered to prevent them from going bust.

Full story: The Sun

I'm not sure how effective the PL 9 point penalty will be, given they are almost certain to at least go into administration, which will bring it's own 9 point penalty. One 9 point penalty will be enough to guarantee relegation anyway. Portsmouth's only choices now seem to be administration and relegation or liquidation.

But the cash-strapped Fratton Park outfit have been offered a loan of £10m from West Ham co-owner David Gold offered to prevent them from going bust.

Why would he do that? It would be like Chelsea lending Man United money to help them compete in the title race. Bizarre.

Guest Kamy100

Why would he do that? It would be like Chelsea lending Man United money to help them compete in the title race. Bizarre.

West Ham stand to lose 4 points if Portsmouth go out of business.

Just to put something straight...

Portsmouth WON'T get a points penalty for selling players. They are in the process of trying to sell one right now.

They WOULD get a points penalty if they are given the Premier League parachute money in advance.

The Mirror mobile service and internet paper has the correct details.

Archived