BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Prometheus, in spite of the lukewarm reviews, is actually good. It's not a prequel to Alien per se (though it exists in the same universe and is set prior to that film) but it is an interesting story nonetheless. Fassbender is mesmerising.

• Backroom

Saw American Reunion (4th American Pie) and it was pretty good. More for nostalgia than anything, but in terms of laughs I reckon it's the closest you'd get to the first (the best of the lot imo).

Hoping to catch MenInBlack3 this week. Though Will Smith (judging by the trailers) doesn't appear to have aged since the first one in 1997......

• Backroom

Movie discussion ?

How was Prometheus?

I haven't seen it yet but it's main problem seems to be overhype, thankfully I have avoided any trailers

• Backroom

Yeah keep the tv stuff out of here please

Post in here:

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/24900-big-mainly-hbo-tv-shows/page__fromsearch__1

Or similar, I'll move the off topic posts over when I'm on my laptop

Edit - now moved please use that thread for tv shows

Double edit - just making the wife watch Alien - classic

Edited by Tom M

How was Prometheus?

I haven't seen it yet but it's main problem seems to be overhype, thankfully I have avoided any trailers

Avoid the trailers and avoid the comparisons of what Alien and Aliens were and view this with an open mind and it's a very good Sci Fi movie, the visuals are fantastic and the film is overall a really good watch and worth the admission fee......However there are plot holes and some bad really bad scripting which leads to wooden acting.

All in all I put the flaws down to discussion points for after the film and there are plenty to keep your mind working. The film has been getting some really bad reviews but I have to put it down to a generation thing where as the average teen these days wants everything answered and giftwrapped before the end of the film.

Dont let the reviews put you off, five of us went and five of us enjoyed it.

Anyone seen Safe House? I like Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington is always worth a watch.

I did'nt enjoy it, it was far too predictable, try Mel Gibsons Get The Gringo......now that was a good film.

Another plus vote for Prometheus. As mentioned before there are some big plot holes but overall it's a good film. The 2 hours flew by, and on IMAX and 3D it looks incredible. If you're thinking it's going to be a horror film like Alien, or an all out action film like Aliens you might be disappointed - it tries to be a bit more cerebral than that and on the whole succeeds for me. 8/10

Iron Sky, although in no way perfect, is rather good fun

Concept was excellent but most of the humour doesn't really land. Quite liked it though.

How was Prometheus?

I wasn't at all impressed, thought it was very much style over substance.

Most of the characters were wooden and unbelievable and the plot had more holes than a Swiss cheese.

Visually stunning, but let down by everything else.

Went to see Prometheus this afternoon, I went there with an open mind after hearing and reading some of the mixed reviews about the film. I didn't go into the cinema with any major expectations that the film would be up there with Alien or Aliens because let's face it they are two of the greatest Science Fiction movies of all time.

We went to the 2D showing. Visually it was stunning as you would expect with a great visual director like Scott, and we had no regrets about deciding not to see the 3D showing.

Plot wise it had some holes, I think that was partly because Scott wanted to leave a lot of questions open (his plan depending how well the film does is to do two more films that will lead into the events and setting in Alien). I thought Fassbender was really good and Rapace got better as the film went on.

Overall both of us that went enjoyed the film, sure it's not as good as Alien or Aliens, but not much is. I hope it makes a big profit so that Scott can get the go ahead to make another film, I would be really interested to see where he would take it next.

Avoid the trailers and avoid the comparisons of what Alien and Aliens were and view this with an open mind and it's a very good Sci Fi movie, the visuals are fantastic and the film is overall a really good watch and worth the admission fee......However there are plot holes and some bad really bad scripting which leads to wooden acting.

Yeah that's what we did beerwins. Alien and Aliens were truly great films and it's so hard to match those heights. If people go in there and think it will be as good or there will be clear links between the films then they are bound to end up disappointed.

Edited by RibbleValleyRover

Although I enjoyed Prometheus, I didn't as much as I thought I would - and that was even with lower expectations than when the film was first announced.

I couldn't shake the feeling that it was a solid sci-fi idea (admittedly not a massively original one) that had the Alien mythology grafted onto it to make it more marketable. Fairly certain that wasn't the way it was developed?

Prometheus, in spite of the lukewarm reviews, is actually good. It's not a prequel to Alien per se (though it exists in the same universe and is set prior to that film) but it is an interesting story nonetheless. Fassbender is mesmerising.

My thoughts too.Fassbender is rapidly becoming one of my favourite actors and will sooner rather than later be a major player in hollywood.

Watched Killer Elite last night, featuring Jason Staham and Bobby DeNiro (never thought I'd see those two in the same film). Overall the film was ok, better than I expected. It's based on a book by Sir Ranulph Fienes. The plot is that in the early 80's British SAS troops

Were in action in Oman (secretly), and killed 3 of 4 sons of an Omani head honcho. The plot is for Statham to kill the killers.

Not an intellectual feast, but a decent action movie.

A few years ago I read a book A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, about the same time I became aware of but never read another called Salmon Fishing in the Yemen which I assumed was just another bizarre book title.

Last night my wife took me to the cinema and it actually is about Salmon Fishing in the Yemen!!! Really enjoyed this funny and moving film in which Ewan MacGregor gives what I felt was a fantastic character performance. British cinema at its best - sadly of course only about ten people interested enough to view it.

As usual with these things the book is far better than the film. I enjoyed the film but it's not a patch on the book, which is really about political power and only tangentially about salmon fishing or the Yemen.

Have a friend who really likes and plays ice hockey so on his recommendation I watched the movie "Goon", once it gets going, not too bad, the language was a bit colourful along with a few other surrounding factors which were a bit of a distraction and very silly but the sport story in itself is fairly good so that is up to the viewer as to whether they want to wade through the first 30 minutes of this stuff. See, a goon is a hockey player on your team that fights and according to the movie, fights to protect your own more talented players from the other team's goons, fighters, enforcers. I always thought an "Enforcer" was a protector and a "Goon" just got into fights, maybe make cheap shots. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456635/reviews Reviews on the movie. The geography (Canada, New England, Quebec) is a bit interesting as well as this taking place largely during the winter.

Had to finally see Tin Tin, read the comics some as a kid. I thought the movie got a little to fantastic at the end. I'd have to read the old comics to see if the movie were faithful to the old comics, I've even had a Tin Tin t-shirt for several years.

Edited by Audax

Have a friend who really likes and plays ice hockey so on his recommendation I watched the movie "Goon", once it gets going, not too bad, the language was a bit colourful along with a few other surrounding factors which were a bit of a distraction and very silly but the sport story in itself is fairly good so that is up to the viewer as to whether they want to wade through the first 30 minutes of this stuff. See, a goon is a hockey player on your team that fights and according to the movie, fights to protect your own more talented players from the other team's goons, fighters, enforcers. I always thought an "Enforcer" was a protector and a "Goon" just got into fights, maybe make cheap shots. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456635/reviews Reviews on the movie. The geography (Canada, New England, Quebec) is a bit interesting as well as this taking place largely during the winter.

Had to finally see Tin Tin, read the comics some as a kid. I thought the movie got a little to fantastic at the end. I'd have to read the old comics to see if the movie were faithful to the old comics, I've even had a Tin Tin t-shirt for several years.

An enforcer protects his team mates and seeks to change the momentum of the game. A goon is a guy who barely makes the fourth line and takes cheap shots regardless of the effects they have.

An enforcer protects his team mates and seeks to change the momentum of the game. A goon is a guy who barely makes the fourth line and takes cheap shots regardless of the effects they have.

I agree with you, the movie seems to blur the line on this one issue. I'll leave it at that. One would need to see it. It's an over the top comedy. Indeed, the main character is more of an enforcer but the movie is called goon. Looks like most people from the website I left gave it higher reviews than I generally thought it deserved.

Thanks for the response.

Edited by Audax

• Backroom

Watched two comedies tonight Bridesmaids and Hall pass.

Bridesmaids surprised me as I found it hilarious in parts

Hall Pass is an abomination of a comedy, I felt almost cheated by how bad it was

Hall Pass is an abomination of a comedy, I felt almost cheated by how bad it was

Bridesmaids, yes, believe that movie made a splash. Haven't seen it.

I've seen a lot of movies as we all have, I finally watched the 2007 movie from Sweden, Arn the Knight Templar. Entertaining, I tend to like the genres of Medieval, Knights, Roman Empire, etc. kinds of movies though some are duds but this one was enjoyable and big budget but not excessively gory.

• Moderation Lead

Got to agree on Hall Pass, thought it was very poor.