BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If (And its a big if)we get to Wembley.....

TBTF

Well, we took 30k to the Full Members Cup Final, 30k to Cardiff and 31/32k to Wembley against Leicester but I feel we would struggle this year if we got to Wembley again.

I would say 15k for the semi final and no more than 20-22k for a possible final. Hope you're reading this Venky's although I'm sure you wouldn't give a flying one anyway.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ternent dream is still alive to be fair, if he shaves his head and stays out of the sun for a while he's a shoe-in for whenever Appleton is shoved out the door.

"We'll if you've got a Ferrari and I've got a bald head and these tights then I'll take the job Mrs Desai"

Wembley semi finals are crazy , only good for the money grabbing FA .....

If we beat Millwall and it is a big if , I cannot see more than 15000 tops making the journey down .

Way over the top ticket prices , 5pm on Saturday or 4 pm on a Sunday , possible times not exactly convenient are they for travelling from Lancashire ?..Especially when the game is televised .,,,,,

I went to Arsenal and may well go to Millwal but I have a feeling this one will be a bridge too far and I know for sure I cannot go if the game is played Saturday ..........

The club will make some money out of it especially if they Man U ........

I must be in the minority here. The FA Cup semis are our best chance to reach Wembley in a long, long time and possibly for a long time to come.

Yes - but it makes getting to Wembley mean a lot, lot less.

Horrible things have happened to our club in the last couple of years. Seeing the blue and white halves (quarters) at Wembley in the cup semi-final might go some way to healing the deep wounds that have been inflicted on our proud club. Should the opportunity arise, I will find the funds, I will attend.

Yes - but it makes getting to Wembley mean a lot, lot less.

Ah, the moral high ground. We really can't afford to be so choosy. Wembley is still Wembley. It's not like Leyton Orient play their home games there!

But if it's prestige you are after, which is more prestigious, the FA Cup semi finals or the League Two play-offs?

And we aren't even there yet.

Want three points tomorrow if I'm honest. We need to get back to winning ways before dreaming of the lovely lit arch. Would be a treat if we won at Millwall - as one who wasn't born for the Wolves cup final, been to all the old Wembley appearances, Cardiff - but not new Wemberley - would hope. 20,000 turned up.

Ah, the moral high ground. We really can't afford to be so choosy. Wembley is still Wembley. It's not like Leyton Orient play their home games there!

But if it's prestige you are after, which is more prestigious, the FA Cup semi finals or the League Two play-offs?

And we aren't even there yet.

You may want to look up what "moral high-ground" actually means. What I said in no way qualifies.

It's simple - the more there is of something, the less valuable it becomes. Rovers started the season with 4 potential Wembley visits, as did all Football League clubs, and the Prem teams that are in the Champions League. That's too many for it to remain as special as it was.

If winning a game at Wembley doesn't get you a trophy then that game shouldn't have been played there.

You may want to look up what "moral high-ground" actually means. What I said in no way qualifies.

It's simple - the more there is of something, the less valuable it becomes. Rovers started the season with 4 potential Wembley visits, as did all Football League clubs, and the Prem teams that are in the Champions League. That's too many for it to remain as special as it was.

If winning a game at Wembley doesn't get you a trophy then that game shouldn't have been played there.

I knew exactly what you meant, and you are taking a 'moral' high ground.

From wiki but still.,.

"The moral high ground, in ethical or political parlance, refers to the status of being respected for remaining moral, and adhering to and upholding a universally recognized standard of justice or goodness".

I reckon that fits what you meant.

You really think that all football league clubs have a chance to reach Wembley 4 times?? Of course they don't.

Yes, I do agree that only trophy matches should be decided at Wembley but if we have a chance to get there through the current means then I'll take it.

Is all.

Just because you are owned by chicken farmers you still shouldn't count them before they've hatched you know

I'm sure you'd love the opportunity to be discussing your lots chances . Shame though you have to actually be in the quarters to dream of the semis. Screwed up having the semis at Wembley and I think the majority of fans, with the exception of cockneys, would agree with that. It's Wembley that makes the final special, as is visiting a neutral ground for the semis. No it's not right and should be changed back.

I knew exactly what you meant, and you are taking a 'moral' high ground.

From wiki but still.,.

"The moral high ground, in ethical or political parlance, refers to the status of being respected for remaining moral, and adhering to and upholding a universally recognized standard of justice or goodness".

I reckon that fits what you meant.

You really think that all football league clubs have a chance to reach Wembley 4 times?? Of course they don't.

Yes, I do agree that only trophy matches should be decided at Wembley but if we have a chance to get there through the current means then I'll take it.

Is all.

What on Earth are you taking about? My point is based purely on saturation and basic economic principles rather than any morality. I don't think it's immoral to have semi finals at Wembley. I think it's devaluing. Hopefully you understand the two are different.

What on Earth are you taking about? My point is based purely on saturation and basic economic principles rather than any morality. I don't think it's immoral to have semi finals at Wembley. I think it's devaluing. Hopefully you understand the two are different.

I'm not sure what economic principles you are offended by then. Maybe that's why we are at cross-purposes.

Please define "devaluing" in the context you are using it.

I thought you meant keeping Wembley sacred and special so that only finalists should be given the opportunity to play there. That to me would be a moral stand point not an economic one.

However, we are both obtusely arguing semantics following a turn of phrase being taken literally.

Are you a teacher?

If we get to Wembley I can see the Rovers end having an embarrassing amount of empty seats.

The OT Semi in 2007 has been mentioned previously, I was there and there were a fair few empty seats that day especially along the sides of the pitch and we were on a crest of a wave under Hughes with a great feel good factor, granted Chelsea by no means sold out either but it's only half an hour down the road.

I was at the Millenium Stadium vs Arsenal too and there were thousands of unsold tickets.

If it was the final then yes we'd sell out but not for a semi.

The question has to be - What makes Wembley so special for this purpose?

As with any other clubs fans it was and is still always the ultimate to see your club at Wembley for me ( as it was to attend a semi final at a neutral ground) but for the right reason and occasion, fortunately I have as others have on here

For me as with many others there is no justification for the semis to be there ( same applied for the Milenium which imo detracted from from the atmosphere that day and did for both sets of fans) than any other ground and totally devalues the contest even more - which is surely what its about or imo it is.

Financial circumstances for me will dictate should it ever arise that we reach the semis and the final - the question will be should we get through against Millwall - do I gamble and go the semi or risk it and hope to Allelujah that we somehow make the final.

Its nothing to do with morals and yes should it happen it will be nice to see the famous Blackburn Rovers at 'Wembley' - but this would not be Wembley in the true sense.

Accepting all the grudges about having to go to Wimberley [how good of them to have named after an Estate in town! ^_^ ] for a semi-final, I'm torn.

I was too young [and didn't live in Blackburn in 1960, so had even less chance than the rest of you!] to have gone to that Cup Final. I went to the Full Members Cup Final in 1987, the Play-off Final in 1992 and the first [1994] Charity/Community Shield game, as well as the games in Cardiff [the League Cup Final and the FA Cup Semi-Final]; but there would be something ultra-special about seeing us in an F.A. Cup Final at Wembley. Specially since they've renovated it.

I guess I'm psyching myself up to raiding the piggy bank for a semi-final game there. If we win that, there'd be no question; I'm 66, the odds are against me seeing us in a F.A. Cup Final again; I'd be there.

A Wembley appearance should only be in a Final. That special occasion has been devalued.

Unfortunately if we get to a semi final I think we would struggle to take more than 10,000.

Finances as they are you're talking a minimum of £200 per person for the day with nothing other than the potential for a win at the end of it.

If it was a final, chance to win something, then it would be a different kettle of fish, same price but I suspect we'd take 30,000.

I'm not sure what economic principles you are offended by then. Maybe that's why we are at cross-purposes.

Please define "devaluing" in the context you are using it.

I thought you meant keeping Wembley sacred and special so that only finalists should be given the opportunity to play there. That to me would be a moral stand point not an economic one.

However, we are both obtusely arguing semantics following a turn of phrase being taken literally.

Are you a teacher?

Already have - the more of something you have, or the more it is available, the less valuable it becomes. This is a very very simple concept.

Already have - the more of something you have, or the more it is available, the less valuable it becomes. This is a very very simple concept.

If every game of every round was at Wembley every year then I'd completely agree but it really isn't the same.

For fans of teams like Rovers and Millwall the chance to be there at a semi final is rare enough for it not to be devalued in the economic-esque terms you are talking about.

If you feel that strongly, then I hope you will stay away from Wembley if we get there in the semis.

...and stick to your morals principles.

If every game of every round was at Wembley every year then I'd completely agree but it really isn't the same.

For fans of teams like Rovers and Millwall the chance to be there at a semi final is rare enough for it not to be devalued in the economic-esque terms you are talking about.

If you feel that strongly, then I hope you will stay away from Wembley if we get there in the semis.

...and stick to your morals principles.

So if we play Wigan in a semi final are you saying that you think it is better to be at Wembley than Old Trafford?

Here's my take on it. Based on the Semi's at OT and Cardiff there is no way we'd sell out 30,000+ tickets at Wembley. Infact if we played Man U, they would eat into our allocation and end up taking around 40,000.

For the final each time receives less tickets but I feel we would sell out no matter what.

Anyway - i'll be there!

Archived