BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your 2nd Team

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chorley fc although i'd never go watching them instead of Rovers. Only Prem team iv'e always enjoyed watching without feeling any agenda either way is Arsenal and when i was a kid i had a soft spot for Albion Rovers for some reason :lol:

Just now, renrag said:

Funny you mention Albion Rovers. As a youngster I was in Johnny Forbes with my mum buying a cub uniform, I was wearing a Rovers supporters club badge. Bill Eckersley came in and started talking and teasing me saying he only knew one club called Rovers and their first name was Albion.I couldn't wait to tell all my pals. My second team though was Gt Harwood, sadly no more, and always have a soft spot for Queen of the South.

Nice story. iIdon't know why they got my attention all the way down here but it was obviously the Rovers thing for me and the fact they always seemed to get beat so were an underdog even in the lower Scottish div. Always said i'd watch them one day and i probably will lol

Just now, renrag said:

and always have a soft spot for Queen of the South.

Funny you should say that. I love the name and often thought, in my younger days, why not have a drive up to Dumfries, just over the border, and follow Q of the S. Never did though. They're not doing too badly as of late.

When I was a kid the only football that I could watch was Italian football via channel 4. I fell in love with Inter Milan and supported them ever since. I try to get across to Milan for  4 or 5 games each season and thanks to BT Sport I can pretty much watch almost all of Inter's matches.

Wigan. When I was a kid I used to go to Springfield park and watch them in the old fourth division as all my family where rugby mad and I was seen as the billy Elliot of the family watching football. As soon as I was old enough to get a couple of buses to ewood I never looked back. Still wish them well but this season I will take great delight in watching them go down if we stay up at their expense. The thought of rover's and Wigan being even competitive when I was a kid was unimaginable

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Nobody, a 'soft spot' is one thing, but no idea how you can split allegiances, always makes me laugh when I see a Twitter bio that says something like;

'Man U, Oxford, Juventus and Celtic fan'

I meant 'soft spot' rather than 2nd team really, but it's always interesting to hear why Rovers fans look out for the results of other clubs. I could never have an emotional attachment to any club but Rovers.

As a kid with Rovers in the old third i enjoyed watching Liverpool. Brilliant team in the 70's and 80's. Amazing to play them in the 90's. Liked Wolves as well for their kit. Bought an Argentina shirt just before the Faulklands. Head master sent me home with a letter not to wear it again at school.

Done work for Eastleighs chairman, so keep an eye out for them. Had a contract with Bolton for years and got to know some of their PL team so kept an eye on them. Worked at PNE and have no problem them doing a tad better after years of misery. Enjoyed watching Arsenal over the years as well without bias.

What about players enjoyed over the years? Ill kick it off with Zola and Thierry Henry. Top players. Tugay!

But if Rovers lose not a lot else matters for me. COYB.

Stafford Rangers - were local non league team growing up. Was over the moon when flowers was given the manager gig. Didn't work out well though.

Arbroath - no idea where it came from. Just a team I look out for their results.  Still have the world record for highest competitive score.

Union Berlin - went on my stag, and the atmosphere was amazing.  So good we went back the following year. The football however is pretty dire. 

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Nobody, a 'soft spot' is one thing, but no idea how you can split allegiances, always makes me laugh when I see a Twitter bio that says something like;

'Man U, Oxford, Juventus and Celtic fan'

This seems to me like an arrogant attitude. I mean why would it make you laugh? I mean no offence. Personally I have 3 teams. Rovers, Lazio and my hometown club AGF. Its been like that for 25 years since I was a kid. I cant see why youre only allowed 1 team.  For me it makes football more interesting.

8 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Wigan. When I was a kid I used to go to Springfield park and watch them in the old fourth division as all my family where rugby mad and I was seen as the billy Elliot of the family watching football. As soon as I was old enough to get a couple of buses to ewood I never looked back. Still wish them well but this season I will take great delight in watching them go down if we stay up at their expense. The thought of rover's and Wigan being even competitive when I was a kid was unimaginable

It's funny I am from Wigan and can say as a kid if rovers were away I'd go watching Latics at Springfield park. I want both teams to win each week but for some reason when there is a fixture between them I want rovers to win so badly (almost a Burnley feeling) Maybe because a lot of my mates support Wigan too I can't explain it. The first meeting I remember was fa cup late 90s when we won 4-2. One of my favourite games but probably doesn't mean that much to other fellow rovers. 

16 minutes ago, DanielMB said:

This seems to me like an arrogant attitude. I mean why would it make you laugh? I mean no offence. Personally I have 3 teams. Rovers, Lazio and my hometown club AGF. Its been like that for 25 years since I was a kid. I cant see why youre only allowed 1 team.  For me it makes football more interesting.

In fairness, in Scandinavia and other areas with weak domestic leagues, it seems to be the norm.

I have more issues with people in this country;

'I don't support Oxford, they're s**t'

Well if half your city weren't glory hunters, you might have a strong local club to support.

Although I was born in Blackburn my parents moved to Rochdale when I was five. Rovers have and will always be my team but I've been up to Spotland to watch the ' Dale hundreds of times over the last fifty odd years. I don't go at all now but I still look out for their score.

When  I broke my leg playing I gave all football a miss for a while because I knew watching live games would get me started again. A pal of mine suggested we go to a  Rochdale Hornets v Leigh Rugby League match. A totally different code that I'd no intentions of ever playing.  I went up to that one game and I was hooked !

Hornets have become my second team, I'm a season ticket holder and my wife and I sponsor a player. 

If Rovers win on a Saturday and Hornets win on Sunday I'm totally made up ! If they both lose the weekend is ruined.

Archived