BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

10 hours ago, islander200 said:

It was his performances on loan at Bolton that earned him his move to Newcastle. He was good for both those sides,started off ok at Reading but then his career went downhill.He doesn't seem the most motivated sort of lad.He did nothing here though and I never once saw him control the game

I think you do the fella a disservice personally.  Injuries have cost him dear and stopped his development.  I didn't see a lack of desire at all when he played for us, rather sometimes he tried too hard and did clumsy tackles and injured himself a la Phil Jones. 

For me he was our best midfielder last season ( I realize that's not saying much ) and he can still play excellent passes including a few beauties last season.  On a pay as you play I'd take him back and have him in the team but we have Whittingham now and hopefully he will soon prove good enough, he nest be quick though.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, ruggles1995 said:

to summarise our squad of what we need, and do we have enough to get up -

Goalkeeper - Raya isnt experienced but he did look ok when filling in between the sticks last season, I think he was woth giving a shot as number when you think where we need to spend money, and we need to spend the money we do have wisely as its not a super bidget.

Full backs - They all seem pretty bang average at best, could do with a LB and maybe a decent RB

CBs - we play defensive midfielders by trade there.. I am also not lenihans biggest fan either, having said that hes prob better than any other shower we have. 2 CBS needed.

CMs - For me Mulgrew is our best footballer, I would almost build a side around him, make him our 'Pirlo' if you like. Smallword to be his dirty worker, and mulgrew to play and make things tick. (were covered in CMs, we have enough)

Wingers - conway should be fine at this level, bennet gives us pace, Chapman not seen him really, Whittingham could maybe be used in wide areas with his good deliveries, not pacey but could be used in certain games. I would prob of got in a recognised winger that can do the buisness

ST - Graham has aged but he also knows where the goal is, he needs the right service, he will not be chasing hopeless balls nor out sprinting strikers, he needs good deliveries and creativiy behind him. Dack good addition he will come good, needs to play in behind free role. Samuel, already bagged a couple may come good. Antonnson might be what we need also time will tell.

For me whats a definite is we need a RB, a LB, 2 CBs, another Winger, and maybe another Dack. If anything left over maybe look for an experienced keeper.

At the moment we are trying to carry a back four, we arent solid. Get that sorted and we may have enough going the other way. Atm I would go for 4-2-3-1:
Raya
?        ?               ?            ?
    smallwood Mulgrew
Conway    Dack        Bennet
                 Graham

If the defence is that weak, and the team is supposedly class for league 1, then attack is the best defence. keep the ball in the oppo's half. our possession has been all good I think from the two games (more than 52%?) but no penetration into the 6-yard box.

the good teams all have a visible spine of good players to carry them, from the keeper to the CB, to the CM and to the forward. cannot work out who are forming our spine yet.

Guthrie had ability but just another one who's refuelling habits left a lot to be desired. When the niggling injuries keep pilling up the lack of general fitness catches up as well through not being able to train regularly.

He was as naturally unfit a player as your ever likely to see, pointless bringing him back.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It's no coincidence that the players who left us at the back end of last season have either not found a club, or have made backward moves. Miraculously bar Akpan, but he'll be heading down this season anyway.

Akpan got himself sent off at Middlesbrough last night after coming on as a substitute.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It's no coincidence that the players who left us at the back end of last season have either not found a club, or have made backward moves. Miraculously bar Akpan, but he'll be heading down this season anyway.

Surely J-Lowe has to sign with somebody soon? We all know that he's nothing special - calling him average would arguably be too complimentary - but I would have thought a lower-table Championship team would have found room for him as a utility bench player if nothing else. Starting to wonder if his wage demands are a little on the ridiculous side. I dread to think what we were paying him for his services.

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

Surely J-Lowe has to sign with somebody soon? We all know that he's nothing special - calling him average would arguably be too complimentary - but I would have thought a lower-table Championship team would have found room for him as a utility bench player if nothing else. Starting to wonder if his wage demands are a little on the ridiculous side. I dread to think what we were paying him for his services.

If he was taking a pay cut of 50% I reckon it would still be looked upon as expensive to some of the Championship teams.

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

He was on 30,000 a week ,wasn't he? 

32 minutes ago, DE. said:

In all likelihood, he will be picked up once the transfer window shuts, with him being a free agent, once clubs have missed other targets and need players in, he will get signed.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, AAK said:

In all likelihood, he will be picked up once the transfer window shuts, with him being a free agent, once clubs have missed other targets and need players in, he will get signed.

Why do I have a horrible feeling he'll end up back here? 

Just now, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Gone quiet, hasn't it? Whatever happened to that midfielder we were supposed to get in before the horror-show on Saturday?

Recall Neophox saying Mowbray realises he has a ton of midfielders in the squad and that he's stalled the deal to prioritise elsewhere? Or something to that effect.

Which I'm fine with. For the first time in ages, our midfield is not the issue. Really need a proper hard as nuts L1 CB in now.

21 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Lincoln City's 6'5 centre half Sean Raggett is in hot demand. 350k release clause.

There is your mean centre half.

Unfortunately no money left so unless he's available on loan we can forget it. Loans only from here on.

Archived