BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bradford City V Rovers

lraC

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to catch the second half on iFollow. It's a nice surprise to beat promotion favourites, but the confidence in that Rovers team is rock bottom.

We've got nothing to lose against Burnley, and the thought and likelihood of us losing with a full strength side is depressing. Let's just chuck the youngsters in (Nutall, Fisher, Tomlinson, Rankin-Costello, et. al.), and see if we can cause an embarrassing upset. Got to be better than the current first team.

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Managed to catch the second half on iFollow. It's a nice surprise to beat promotion favourites, but the confidence in that Rovers team is rock bottom.

We've got nothing to lose against Burnley, and the thought and likelihood of us losing with a full strength side is depressing. Let's just chuck the youngsters in (Nutall, Fisher, Tomlinson, Rankin-Costello, et. al.), and see if we can cause an embarrassing upset. Got to be better than the current first team.

I completely disagree with everything you've said there. If the team had been lacking confidence, they would have capitulated. However, they stood firm in those last 10 minutes, making last season's play-off finalists look stumped for ideas.

Secondly, we need to put our best team out against that lot up the road. Why not give it a go if we're not favourites? Their record against lower league teams in the cup is bloody awful, with the recent defeats to Accrington and Lincoln. 

With regards to the game, I was very impressed today with how solid we looked defensively. We finally seem to have found some rhythm going forward too. I also left with a smile on my face, considering how every single man battled for every single ball. We were very physical too- it reminded me of when Mark Hughes was in charge. If we've got a chance on Wednesday, we'll have kick lumps off them, just like we did today! 

Special mention to Bradley Dack- he's  exactly what that midfield has been missing for years. 

Can anyone remember the last time we won three away games on the bounce, by the way? We've not lost in 5 either, if you take last season into consideration. 

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Would anybody care at this point if we let Graham go to anybody who will take him? I'm not convinced he has the mentality to be successful in this division. He must be on a serious wedge, too. Can't help but think his significant wage could be much better apportioned to other parts of the squad. 

yeah...he has not looked interested last few games and its difficult to see what he can offer us in this league. Telling that he was not even brought on from the bench. Samuel is raw but at least he works hard and puts in the effort.

Yesterday was what i expected against Southend - hard work, occasional glimpse of championship quality and a little more no thrills defending.

Thought Ward did fine, Samuel much better than expected and can play the lone forward. Smallwood looks like the player we have needed and amazed to see Evans on the pitch and no yellow....

Mulgrew class and the rest look good and up for it plus like they could handle a full scale brawl!

Thought Antonsson looked a little light but far from slow (as previous posters suggested). 

Brilliant day out and a hard fought three points. If Bradford are one of the favourites then we should be competing up near the top come may. Dack was a breath of fresh air and something that has been missing at ewood for a long time. Creative player that will drive with the ball in the final third. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this lad on the pitch and not in the papers. Special mention to Elliott ward today who was brilliant. Not his biggest fan but didn't put a foot wrong today. Smallwood and Evans got stuck in, as did Bennett who ran his legs off. Mulgrew is just class and can't say anything that hasn't been said before. Nice to see Conway back to, who also had a good game and never stopped running. I really like the look of this gladwin bloke who, granted I've only seen snippets of. Hope he gets a game against them on Wednesday.

Small criticism and only small because he tried his best but Williams going forward, on more than one occasion, had chances to release the front or wide men and made the wrong decisions but his defending was spot on. 

This antonsson bloke looks Abit light weight and not so fast for a small guy. Reserving judgement until I have seen him play but can't help thinking after seeing his small cameo that he is the same style of player as Rankin Costello with less body strength and pace. I'm interested to see what he offers what Costello couldn't 

Watched on iFollow here in Dubai, thought we looked fairly comfortable and seemed to have the game under control.  Pleased with the line up and balance of the team, still a few things to improve on but that will come as they are play together more. 

Friend back home is Bradford season ticket holder, he tells me the general consensus among their fans was that they were outclassed.  Long time since I have heard that about a Rovers team!

5 hours ago, scotchrover said:

I completely disagree with everything you've said there. If the team had been lacking confidence, they would have capitulated. However, they stood firm in those last 10 minutes, making last season's play-off finalists look stumped for ideas.

Secondly, we need to put our best team out against that lot up the road. Why not give it a go if we're not favourites? Their record against lower league teams in the cup is bloody awful, with the recent defeats to Accrington and Lincoln. 

With regards to the game, I was very impressed today with how solid we looked defensively. We finally seem to have found some rhythm going forward too. I also left with a smile on my face, considering how every single man battled for every single ball. We were very physical too- it reminded me of when Mark Hughes was in charge. If we've got a chance on Wednesday, we'll have kick lumps off them, just like we did today! 

Special mention to Bradley Dack- he's  exactly what that midfield has been missing for years. 

Can anyone remember the last time we won three away games on the bounce, by the way? We've not lost in 5 either, if you take last season into consideration. 

You're painting an amazingly rosy picture off the back of one good result and two abysmal results.

Last season should be forgotten and is completely irrelevant. Our squad has changed drastically, which will take time to gel, but Mowbray has it all to prove. I think he will, ultimately, but that performance yesterday still doesn't fill me with confidence about our promotion hopes. I think it's a combination of poor quality players that I'm not used to, along with a club that doesn't believe in itself.

We're only a few games into the season, so hopefully it's just a matter of short time to get into a rhythm, but you know we have it in us to disappoint against lesser opposition. That's no good for promotion. We have to be consistent.

32 minutes ago, klc_2012 said:

Yesterday was what i expected against Southend - hard work, occasional glimpse of championship quality and a little more no thrills defending.

Thought Ward did fine, Samuel much better than expected and can play the lone forward. Smallwood looks like the player we have needed and amazed to see Evans on the pitch and no yellow....

Mulgrew class and the rest look good and up for it plus like they could handle a full scale brawl!

Thought Antonsson looked a little light but far from slow (as previous posters suggested). 

Couple of times late on in the game when he had the opportunity to outpace the CB and couldn't do it - and they were far from quick.  He has good movement but he isn't quick.

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Couple of times late on in the game when he had the opportunity to outpace the CB and couldn't do it - and they were far from quick.  He has good movement but he isn't quick.

I remember that being said about Teddy Sherringham, and that didn't turn out too bad!

16 minutes ago, The Gull said:

Watched on iFollow here in Dubai, thought we looked fairly comfortable and seemed to have the game under control.  Pleased with the line up and balance of the team, still a few things to improve on but that will come as they are play together more. 

Friend back home is Bradford season ticket holder, he tells me the general consensus among their fans was that they were outclassed.  Long time since I have heard that about a Rovers team!

Had a read of the Claret and Banter forum post match.  Many of the comments on there suggest that Bradford have changed a few personnel and are not performing at the level of last year,  General consensus is that we outfought them and defended well however we weren't much better than them - and they were poor.

It's a positive step in the right direction performance wise but we need to string a few wins together and start creating/finishing more chances.  On wards and upwards.

39 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this lad on the pitch and not in the papers.  

This.

Let's hope last weekend was Mowbray laying down the law to Dack and he has now got the message. Being sub against Doncaster didn't suit him. If he has learned a lesson then better at the start of the season than later on.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This.

Let's hope last weekend was Mowbray laying down the law to Dack and he has now got the message. Being sub against Doncaster didn't suit him. If he has learned a lesson then better at the start of the season than later on.

Liked what I saw of Dack.  Got a bit of aggression about him as well.  A few occasions he battled past players/rode tackles  when others would have given up/looked for a free kick.  Nearest player to Dunn we have had...but possibly as injury prone!

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

yeah...he has not looked interested last few games and its difficult to see what he can offer us in this league. Telling that he was not even brought on from the bench. Samuel is raw but at least he works hard and puts in the effort.

To be honest I'd say he's struggling for form together with been a marked man . He scored some important goals last yr. Give him time and I'm sure he will be OK.  

Great result yesterday sounded like a great team performance and that we made life difficult for them . 

Roll on next wkend will be over for my 1st game of the season 

Good win. This is a weaker Bradford team than last year's but an away win and clean sheet is very welcome.

Was good to see round pegs in round holes and a sensible formation. Good to see some of the more under performing players (Graham and Whittingham) also dropped.

7 hours ago, scotchrover said:

3 on the bounce? Not lost in five?

Southend?

I know khod told me off, but can I just say - I had a tear in my eye reading this;

"Never mind a tough year last year getting relegated, or a tough two opening weeks of the season, they've had a tough time for the last seven or eight years.

"I just want to them to feel that we all - the management, the staff, the players - care about the football club and we want it to turn and start moving in the right direction."

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

3 on the bounce? Not lost in five?

Southend?

Perhaps, he is trying to put that Southend game, out of his mind. I am too, but still have to accept it I'm afraid. We are on a run, if we count the Coventry win, of three wins from the last 4 away though.

Archived