BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So, what signings do we need in January?

For the first time in a long time we seem to have a good balance, with very few players playing out of position. However, on the basis that we are a club who need to be targeting automatic promotion and therefore need strength in depth, I’d suggest...

Mulgrew is looking good at centre back and is leading by example. Downing has been solid in his reading of the game, and providing cover; steady, won’t set the world alight, but is a good foil for Mulgrew. Not convinced that an injury to either of those two would be easily covered though. Ward inspires little confidence and with Lenihan still out (and, let’s face it, probably leaving when fit again) it could be Smallwood and/or the mysterious Wharton alongside.

So, if there was a League One Samba or Hendry out there, it would allow Mulgrew to move higher up the pitch and would very much shore up midfield alongside Smallwood, and either of Evans or Whittingham.

Not convinced by Nyambe and for all the talk of Nuttall not being ready and needing a rest, Nyambe is being given an extended run despite his mistakes. It does give credence to JAL’s concerns about having the right agent being more important than ability/potential.

I’d certainly be looking to extend Chapman’s stay - depending on the extent of his injury. Dack has stepped in but if he is injured then we have no other play-maker.

Pace out wide - or anywhere - would be very welcome. We’ve not really had any acceleration in the side since Josh King, and that would give us a different dimension.

A cheeky bid for Josh Morris would be an interesting one. There’s something a little Duncan Shearer / Swindon about that one (but that would require owners with ambition). It would be nice to buy a key player from a L1 rival for a change instead of always scraping the barrel.

So for me, three things:

- a quality man-mountain centre back

- a solid right back and/or a winger with pace (who is prepared to protect his full back)

- an attempt to unsettle a promotion rival with a cheeky bid (very much the tinsel on the tree though in reality)

Oh, and not Feeney. He just isn’t a good fit at this club and would bring an air of negativity to things.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

For the first time in a long time we seem to have a good balance, with very few players playing out of position. However, on the basis that we are a club who need to be targeting automatic promotion and therefore need strength in depth, I’d suggest...

Mulgrew is looking good at centre back and is leading by example. Downing has been solid in his reading of the game, and providing cover; steady, won’t set the world alight, but is a good foil for Mulgrew. Not convinced that an injury to either of those two would be easily covered though. Ward inspires little confidence and with Lenihan still out (and, let’s face it, probably leaving when fit again) it could be Smallwood and/or the mysterious Wharton alongside.

So, if there was a League One Samba or Hendry out there, it would allow Mulgrew to move higher up the pitch and would very much shore up midfield alongside Smallwood, and either of Evans or Whittingham.

Not convinced by Nyambe and for all the talk of Nuttall not being ready and needing a rest, Nyambe is being given an extended run despite his mistakes. It does give credence to JAL’s concerns about having the right agent being more important than ability/potential.

I’d certainly be looking to extend Chapman’s stay - depending on the extent of his injury. Dack has stepped in but if he is injured then we have no other play-maker.

Pace out wide - or anywhere - would be very welcome. We’ve not really had any acceleration in the side since Josh King, and that would give us a different dimension.

A cheeky bid for Josh Morris would be an interesting one. There’s something a little Duncan Shearer / Swindon about that one (but that would require owners with ambition). It would be nice to buy a key player from a L1 rival for a change instead of always scraping the barrel.

So for me, three things:

- a solid right back and/or a winger with pace (who is prepared to protect his full back)

- an attempt to unsettle a promotion rival with a cheeky bid (very much the tinsel on the tree though in reality)

Oh, and not Feeney. He just isn’t a good fit at this club and would bring an air of negativity to things.

Couldn't agree more but to me left and right back and both midfield wide positions are areas of concern. 

We already got a centre half who mountain like. Ward has the mobility of a mountain.

Feeney through no fault of his own is tarnished with who he is linked with. He is better away from the club although we as a club are at his level as a player.

44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He's back in January. I expect he'll be part of our squad for the rest of the season from then on, similar to how it was last season.

6 minutes ago, Phil T said:

He's back in January. I expect he'll be part of our squad for the rest of the season from then on, similar to how it was last season.

He’ll be back at Cardiff, I’d have thought.

58 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So for me, three things:

I don't think Nyambe would be playing if the alternative was any better,  which in the case of Caddis - he isn't. Downing's done ok for me,  he's not set the world on fire but he's not the reason we're struggling to beat teams at home.

I'm also not convinced anyone will come in for Lenihan unless he's been back playing at first team level for a few games. You wouldn't want to spend good money on a player and then see them break down again almost right away. Foot injuries can be tricky, especially if they go undiagnosed for a while as is the case with Lenihan.

I'd swap Morris for Whittingham tomorrow but nobodie's that daft are they ?  Ideally we need some pace outwide to take on the teams that come and park the bus at Ewood.

On 11/25/2017 at 02:10, chaddyrovers said:

I think 500k would get him tbh. 

I wouldnt say Samuel is behind Graham at all. Nuttall deserved his chance and should be starting today game. 

You know my opinion on Graham. 

Where have you plucked that random figure from?

Graham proved yesterday that he is a class above the division if you play to his strengths, and Samuel was also excellent.

We've got 3 strikers to play 1 position alongside Dack, Nuttalls the youngster whose proved his goal threat, Samuel is a 500k signing from a few months ago, so I'm guessing youd let Graham go to bring in a player who could only get on the bench at Ewood a few weeks ago, and who would be a massive risk and has never shown that he can get enough goals for a promotion contender. Madness.

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

A left-footed left winger with genuine pace is desperately needed imo.

Not sure if Morris is quick but check out his goals from yesterday for Scunny. Stunning. He only came on as sub. Just missing a 30 yard header for the perfect hattrick.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11144267/scunthorpe-2-0-charlton

Oh my God that second goal....

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Yeah i think there is something more to Feeney being shipped out. On paper he is a more than able winger to have in L1 - hence why he features semi-regularly for a club a division above us. I doubt he was shipped out because we didn't need him considering we had no wingers at that point.

Either he dont want to be here or someting else has happened which has led to TM not wanting him here.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Graham proved yesterday that he is a class above the division if you play to his strengths, and Samuel was also excellent.

We've got 3 strikers to play 1 position alongside Dack, Nuttalls the youngster whose proved his goal threat, Samuel is a 500k signing from a few months ago, so I'm guessing youd let Graham go to bring in a player who could only get on the bench at Ewood a few weeks ago, and who would be a massive risk and has never shown that he can get enough goals for a promotion contender. Madness.

The 500k is from this page for the player on transfermarkt  https://www.transfermarkt.com/devante-cole/profil/spieler/186924

I am not going to go over the top about Graham's performance yesterday. He played well. Samuel's performance was better for me and his movement was excellent for his goal

About Cole only being on the bench against us. Downing was only on bench when mk dons played us and he turned out to be good signing for us. So I dont see the point in all fairness. Cole has 8 league goals this season. 

The same website values Elliott Ward at a higher value than Harry Chapman. And said we have 35 points from 19 games which is incorrect. Worthless source, ignore it.

You are missing the point. The 2 strikers coming on yesterday showed just how much quality they have compared to the rest of the league, they basically won us 3 points within 10 minutes of their introduction, with both involved.

Mowbrays got an attacking 4 of Dack, Graham, Samuel and Nuttall. He has more than enough firepower there to get us promoted, but does Devante Cole significantly give us more than what we already have? Would he even get on the bench over them 4? Not from me.

We need a quick winger 100% ie another Chapman, then maybe a full back or 2 if possible, but he doesnt need much more than hes already got. Plus Lenihan and eventually Chapman to return. Mowbrays got everything he needs, and no excuses.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The 500k is from this page for the player on transfermarkt  https://www.transfermarkt.com/devante-cole/profil/spieler/186924

I am not going to go over the top about Graham's performance yesterday. He played well. Samuel's performance was better for me and his movement was excellent for his goal

About Cole only being on the bench against us. Downing was only on bench when mk dons played us and he turned out to be good signing for us. So I dont see the point in all fairness. Cole has 8 league goals this season. 

I can't see any point in bringing in another striker who can sit next to Graham and Samuel on the bench when Nuttall starts or any other permutation of those three. We need someone with either pace or trickery who can around the side of teams parking the bus.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think it's a case of playing to his strengths. Yesterday he wanted it. His attitude was completely different. He had a desire I haven't seen in a long time. Has he finally realised his place isn't guaranteed and their are players snapping at his heels ( the reason alot of people advocated nuttalls inclusion in the starting line up) or can he smell the transfer window opening. The sceptic in me says the latter 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I don't think it's a case of playing to his strengths. Yesterday he wanted it. His attitude was completely different. He had a desire I haven't seen in a long time. Has he finally realised his place isn't guaranteed and their are players snapping at his heels ( the reason alot of people advocated nuttalls inclusion in the starting line up) or can he smell the transfer window opening. The sceptic in me says the latter 

I think you could be right there.

30 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Yep, he was playing with the attitude and desire that he had when he first came on loan, I'm not sure why he's seemed to lose it in the last couple of seasons, but if he can get it back permanently we have a player on our hands.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The same website values Elliott Ward at a higher value than Harry Chapman. And said we have 35 points from 19 games which is incorrect. Worthless source, ignore it.

You are missing the point. The 2 strikers coming on yesterday showed just how much quality they have compared to the rest of the league, they basically won us 3 points within 10 minutes of their introduction, with both involved.

Mowbrays got an attacking 4 of Dack, Graham, Samuel and Nuttall. He has more than enough firepower there to get us promoted, but does Devante Cole significantly give us more than what we already have? Would he even get on the bench over them 4? Not from me.

We need a quick winger 100% ie another Chapman, then maybe a full back or 2 if possible, but he doesnt need much more than hes already got. Plus Lenihan and eventually Chapman to return. Mowbrays got everything he needs, and no excuses.

worthless source cos I quote the figure for Cole from it? 

I'm sorry but Graham hasn't showed that desire and work rate all season like he did when Lambert was here. 

Cole has pace and that's something we don't have a lot in the side either. What happened if one of strikers gets injury next week. then we would need a 4th striker/forward

I agree on a quick winger but we have 4 full backs in the first team squad plus 2 good prospects in the under 23's in Travis and Doyle aswell, so no need for more unnecessary signings. 

I would be making Downing loan spell here a permanent one. been good since he has signed here

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't see any point in bringing in another striker who can sit next to Graham and Samuel on the bench when Nuttall starts or any other permutation of those three. We need someone with either pace or trickery who can around the side of teams parking the bus.

Cole has pace and 8 league goals this season. He is out of contract in the summer according to the website Transfermarkt

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

you are spot on there with him wanted it again. we haven't seen this all season. wonder why now? exactly the reason why I not over the top with praise cos he not doing it every game he involved in. when he started playing with it every game then we praised him more

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

worthless source cos I quote the figure for Cole from it? 

I'm sorry but Graham hasn't showed that desire and work rate all season like he did when Lambert was here. 

Cole has pace and that's something we don't have a lot in the side either. What happened if one of strikers gets injury next week. then we would need a 4th striker/forward

I agree on a quick winger but we have 4 full backs in the first team squad plus 2 good prospects in the under 23's in Travis and Doyle aswell, so no need for more unnecessary signings. 

I would be making Downing loan spell here a permanent one. been good since he has signed here

Cole has pace and 8 league goals this season. He is out of contract in the summer according to the website Transfermarkt

you are spot on there with him wanted it again. we haven't seen this all season. wonder why now? exactly the reason why I not over the top with praise cos he not doing it every game he involved in. when he started playing with it every game then we praised him more

No, worthless because its quite clear that its not accurate, hence the incorrect portrayal of the league table and the fact that it values a veteran liability centre back more than Harry Chapman. Thus I dont think Transfermarkt is a reliable source.

Samuel and Nuttall have pace up front, Graham is a target man, we need more pace out wide running at players.

We have 4 attackers playing 2 positions, Samuel, Graham, Dack and Nuttall. If a striker got injured we'd still have one in reserve. And Antonsson can go up front in an emergency, and Bennett can play as a 10.

I wouldn't rush to sign Downing permanently, he has been surprisingly good, but for me he would still be a sub to Mulgrew and Lenihan and I am unconvinced that he would be a competent Championship defender, the league we should be in next year.

Graham has shown much more positive signs recently, helped changed the game yesterday, apparently helped us see it out on Tuesday, scored v Barnet, scored v Portsmouth, got 1 or 2 assists and just genuinely looks fitter, so why ignore all that and gamble on someone new.

Full back is much more of a weakness than up front, Nyambe is a liability, Hart is appalling, Williams is too easy to beat and Caddis is ok.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, worthless because its quite clear that its not accurate, hence the incorrect portrayal of the league table and the fact that it values a veteran liability centre back more than Harry Chapman. Thus I dont think Transfermarkt is a reliable source.

Samuel and Nuttall have pace up front, Graham is a target man, we need more pace out wide running at players.

We have 4 attackers playing 2 positions, Samuel, Graham, Dack and Nuttall. If a striker got injured we'd still have one in reserve. And Antonsson can go up front in an emergency, and Bennett can play as a 10.

I wouldn't rush to sign Downing permanently, he has been surprisingly good, but for me he would still be a sub to Mulgrew and Lenihan and I am unconvinced that he would be a competent Championship defender, the league we should be in next year.

Graham has shown much more positive signs recently, helped changed the game yesterday, apparently helped us see it out on Tuesday, scored v Barnet, scored v Portsmouth, got 1 or 2 assists and just genuinely looks fitter, so why ignore all that and gamble on someone new.

Full back is much more of a weakness than up front, Nyambe is a liability, Hart is appalling, Williams is too easy to beat and Caddis is ok.

Graham was poor against Barnet until Nuttall came on. so lets not sugar coat it. Will he perform like he did yesterday on Tuesday? no guarantee at all and could be back to being poor and lazy like he been for most of the season at Blackpool away. If he can performed every game like he did yesterday then we have a player who should stay but I aint convinced by his attitude or performance. So we have to be scouting possible strikers in case Graham performances drop or one striker gets injury

Downing's performances been very good and deserve to sign here permanently. The only way you will know if he good enough for Championship is by giving him a proper chance. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham was poor against Barnet until Nuttall came on. so lets not sugar coat it. Will he perform like he did yesterday on Tuesday? no guarantee at all and could be back to being poor and lazy like he been for most of the season at Blackpool away. If he can performed every game like he did yesterday then we have a player who should stay but I aint convinced by his attitude or performance. So we have to be scouting possible strikers in case Graham performances drop or one striker gets injury

Downing's performances been very good and deserve to sign here permanently. The only way you will know if he good enough for Championship is by giving him a proper chance. 

The thing is, you said last week v Bury youd have started him, hes only had fleeting involvements seen but very positive ones, yet now hes gone back to being someone who needs flogging. Makes no sense.

Why do we need to sign someone in case of an injury? We have 3 strikers competing for 1 place plus Antonsson. Plenty of cover.

I'd really like to sign Gregg Leigh I think he would improve the team and provide more pace down the flank, plus he looks like he isn't afraid to beat a man and I'd be suprised if he isn't at a better club than bury in a year or so. Good education at man city also. However as things stand their are more important positions that need filling. I feel a priority has to be an out and out pacey hug the wing winger . Bennett and antonsson aren't naturally wide players , Conway although a good back up and good servent to the club , I feel his legs are not up to the demand of two games a week in this league. Playing whitts there is just a complete no no.  The ideal situation would be for Feeney to come back and stake his place in the team and should be more than capable at this level leaving us more scope to fill other areas but like mowbray I just don't have the confidence in him to do it. If we could find a pacy winger which also could help cover the full backs I think it would go a long way in improving the team. The big problem is lack of pace , delivery into the box and inexperience of nyambe. I remember gresko being a decent left back until Duff left and it showed me why some players work at one club but not others. In an ideal world I'd love Payne and Josh Morris to come also. 

As far as nuttall. I felt he deserved his starts in the team due to his goal record and lack of productivity in the first team. You have to reward players doing well and put pressure on the first team. Seeing nuttall for the youth he never really blew me away and having seen him in the first team I don't think he is the superstar we are hoping for. I'd use him as an impact sub. You could clearly see the difference in experience and quality when he went off and Graham and Samuel came on. I'm not writing him off but he is far from the finished article and looks the youth player when around the "adults".

I watched Cole play for man city youth and he looked promising. He played up front and was behind in the pecking order a lad called Jordi hiwula who looked like he was going to be a superstar. He was at Bradford and Plymouth last year but haven't heard of him this year. Worth keeping tabs on. If I can find a link to him destroying or youth team along with Cole I will post it.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, you said last week v Bury youd have started him, hes only had fleeting involvements seen but very positive ones, yet now hes gone back to being someone who needs flogging. Makes no sense.

Why do we need to sign someone in case of an injury? We have 3 strikers competing for 1 place plus Antonsson. Plenty of cover.

Yes cos him and Nuttall look good together but Dack has to play the 10 role so its either 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 formation wise. Dack is a must pick. 

Not convinced Graham will.perform every game. He sometimes has a lazy attitide. Dont want that in the team. 

Will Graham play like he did yesterday at Blackpool on Tuesday? Or Graham playing like this to get a move in January?

I would Samuel up front and use his pace in behind on the counter attack. 

@Oldgregg86, I would like to see us Josh Morris. Natural left foot and play wide left would give us balance. 

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

A left-footed left winger with genuine pace is desperately needed imo.

Not sure if Morris is quick but check out his goals from yesterday for Scunny. Stunning. He only came on as sub. Just missing a 30 yard header for the perfect hattrick.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11144267/scunthorpe-2-0-charlton

Woah, that second was an absolute beast! 

Freekick wasn’t terrible either.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes cos him and Nuttall look good together but Dack has to play the 10 role so its either 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 formation wise. Dack is a must pick. 

Not convinced Graham will.perform every game. He sometimes has a lazy attitide. Dont want that in the team. 

Will Graham play like he did yesterday at Blackpool on Tuesday? Or Graham playing like this to get a move in January?

I would Samuel up front and use his pace in behind on the counter attack. 

@Oldgregg86, I would like to see us Josh Morris. Natural left foot and play wide left would give us balance. 

If you don't want a lazy attitude in the team there's been times earlier this season when you could have done dropped more than half the team.

Archived