BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton Town v Rovers

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I know Marc Richards is there, wouldn't have a clue of the others though without looking it up.

Aye, that's one. The other two Northampton got from the same club, one on loan the other on a free. I think only 1 of them played in our 1st team. Both were here in the last few years, one of them the season before last who we also had on loan.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

There are 3 ex-Rovers, a current Dingle filth bag and an ex-Accy player in the Cobblers squad. Can you name them without cheating?

Matt Grimes is one ex-Rover. The dingle is Long who scored last weekend and Matt Crooks is there ex-Stanley think he got injured last week.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

There are 3 ex-Rovers, a current Dingle filth bag and an ex-Accy player in the Cobblers squad. Can you name them without cheating?

I've looked it up and only recognise the missing player. Never heard of Grimes or Richards at Rovers.

1 minute ago, USABlue said:

Rovers being Rovers a bumper Boxing Day crowd would see us fall flat on our faces, it's what we do.

Yeah - we will get beat soon, I can feel it in my water. I just hope we can equal or even better the 8 game winning run before it happens.

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Rovers being Rovers a bumper Boxing Day crowd would see us fall flat on our faces, it's what we do.

My son, Spenny, is coming to the Boxing Day fixture. Whenever he comes to Ewood we lose, much to his annoyance. He has already seen one game this season; Doncaster Rovers!  Enough said.:(

Northampton fan here. You should have no trouble beating us. We are devoid of pace and width and hardly score goals and always prone to being prised open at the back at will. However, we do have the occasional performance in us. The win on Saturday will boost the confidence but that's probably it for the next 3 or 4 games. I'm looking forward to the game with little expectation. It will be good to see 1,500 strong away fans. Sixfields offers little for away fans although there will probably be a couple of bars/food kiosks outside the away end which can be accessed after entering the stadium. We won't sell out so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of your lot here in the home ends. Be quiet and all will be fine! We haven't played each other in the league since 1967 and probably won't meet again for many a year after this season. Our aim is to stay in this league for as long as possible with one day pushing for the Championship but we need investment on the pitch and to re-start the stadium re-development. Kick off at 2pm as Saints rugby have a sell-out (15,000) just down the road at 3pm. Enjoy the day and I hope to make the away game and tick off another ground. 

Cheers 

1 minute ago, Wadey97 said:

Northampton fan here. You should have no trouble beating us. We are devoid of pace and width and hardly score goals and always prone to being prised open at the back at will. However, we do have the occasional performance in us. The win on Saturday will boost the confidence but that's probably it for the next 3 or 4 games. I'm looking forward to the game with little expectation. It will be good to see 1,500 strong away fans. Sixfields offers little for away fans although there will probably be a couple of bars/food kiosks outside the away end which can be accessed after entering the stadium. We won't sell out so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of your lot here in the home ends. Be quiet and all will be fine! We haven't played each other in the league since 1967 and probably won't meet again for many a year after this season. Our aim is to stay in this league for as long as possible with one day pushing for the Championship but we need investment on the pitch and to re-start the stadium re-development. Kick off at 2pm as Saints rugby have a sell-out (15,000) just down the road at 3pm. Enjoy the day and I hope to make the away game and tick off another ground. 

Cheers 

Hello Wadey,

If you do make it to Ewood, you'll probably be struck by the marked difference in atmosphere - away games seem to attract more vocal Rovers fans than home fixtures, and our travelling support has been fantastic so far this season. As for a result, don't expect to be steam-rollered - Rovers fans are well acquainted with the bitter taste of defeat when a positive result seems nailed on, and we don't (yet) have a totally convincing swagger about our play or players. Thanks for the welcome - I do hope we reciprocate when you venture north. Cheers!

51 minutes ago, bazza said:

I've looked it up and only recognise the missing player. Never heard of Grimes or Richards at Rovers.

Grimes was signed by Lambert on loan from Swansea in Jan 2016. Played fairly regularly iirc.

Richards left many years ago when we were good. He must be close to retirement.

10 minutes ago, Wadey97 said:

Cheers 

Hi Wadey

Good post my friend.

How is Grimes doing.  I saw quite a bit of him at Exeter before he went to Swansea and was impressed.  That didn't transform to us when we took him on loan unfortunately but he did get injured and we have got to realise he was playing under the diabolical Owen Coyle. Just interested.

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

Hi Wadey

Good post my friend.

How is Grimes doing.  I saw quite a bit of him at Exeter before he went to Swansea and was impressed.  That didn't transform to us when we took him on loan unfortunately but he did get injured and we have got to realise he was playing under the diabolical Owen Coyle. Just interested.

Grimes is a decent footballer, great control and a good passer. The trouble is he doesn't always have a lot of options when trying to pick a pass because we are often too static and then he ends up dropping deeper. John-Joe O'Toole is our talisman, such an influential player and will be key if we are to have any chance. Chris Long (I'm sure you'll give him some stick) has been starved off service for the most part but looks like he has goals in him given a chance. 

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

I've had to look that one up, no idea he had ended up there.

Not great. Think this is his level, looked awful at Rangers last year when back from injury. On loan at Scunthorpe.

Wadey - what's the latest on Howard Grossman and the bankruptcy of 1st land limited? Has Marcus, Howard and Simon Petnick gone down yet?

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Richards left many years ago when we were good. He must be close to retirement.

I've never heard of him but he seems to have carved out a decent career for himself in the lower leagues, fair play. Let's hope he doesn't score on Saturday though, would be typical if he did :rolleyes:.

42 minutes ago, Wadey97 said:

Grimes is a decent footballer, great control and a good passer. The trouble is he doesn't always have a lot of options when trying to pick a pass because we are often too static and then he ends up dropping deeper. John-Joe O'Toole is our talisman, such an influential player and will be key if we are to have any chance. Chris Long (I'm sure you'll give him some stick) has been starved off service for the most part but looks like he has goals in him given a chance. 

He'll probably have the game of his life on Saturday will Grimes that's how it usually goes with us.

2 hours ago, meadows said:

Grimes was a Lambert signing wasn’t he? Spent last season at Leeds

Yes he was, my apologies, I think he had gone by the time Coyle got here.  Too many bad managers but Lambert was marginally better than Coyle but that isn't saying very much.

Archived