BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plymouth Away - 3rd February 2018

Kamy100

Elliott Bennett on twitter today

Despite the disappointment of yesterday's performance and result we must stay positive on the back of an outstanding run of games! At any level of sport 18 without loss is terrific. Time to get back on track next week. Enjoy your Sunday @rovers fans ✌?️⚽️

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, arbitro said:

All this talk of fancy systems really amuses me. We have dropped too many points because of our inability to defend set pieces properly and will continue to do so. It's onè of the basic principles of footballing success.

If we do the basics well then we would of walked this division but we can't. Wigan and Shrewsbury are proof

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Elliott Bennett on twitter today

Despite the disappointment of yesterday's performance and result we must stay positive on the back of an outstanding run of games! At any level of sport 18 without loss is terrific. Time to get back on track next week. Enjoy your Sunday @rovers fans ✌?️⚽️

Thanks Elliot. Now time for some goals and assists from you I reckon.

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We lost one game in 19 games. Let me say it again 1 game in 19 games. 

Why are we talking about replacing Mowbray as manager. Done a good job in rebuilding the club and playing staff after 12 months of poor signings and coyle in charge

I wasnt at the game so I cant comment on anyone performance.

On Payne, Talented player and techinal good. Would have bought him on instead on Evans. Or even when Graham went off and put Arnstrong up front  

How was today team negative? Really?

Mowbray's sole remit is promotion. He's admitted as much himself. He isn't being judged on 'rebuilding' the club, he isn't being judged because he 'isn't Coyle'. Unbeaten runs, nice signings and talking sense all irrelevant if we don't do the most important thing.

He deserves the season to get us up. If he does he has achieved his target, if he doesn't he should be sacked and someone else be given the task.

We all know really that whatever happens on the pitch Venkys won't make a decision, especially as Mowbray has won them over and it appears appointed his own CEO.

It might just be me but I expect us to work their goalkeeper from time to time. Bucket loads of possession but little end product. 

I identified a leaky defence as a concern several weeks ago and it has continued to cause us big problems.

Anyone can have a bad day at the office. Trouble with us is it is every other week. Fleetwood we nearly threw the game away until Smallwood popped up with the winner. Northampton home and away were woeful. Yesterday woeful. Happens far too often and to just ignore it and point to a long unbeaten run is dangerous.

I'm as down as anyone with the result and fear the play offs, but there is mass hysteria creeping in.  Shrewsbury have shown that they aren't invincible. They were top and surrendered a massive lead over us. They have tricky games coming up now and we need to be absolutely relentless.

One defeat in 19 and some want to sack the only manager in nearly 8 years to assemble a squad and get results. Crazy.  I would rather lose yesterday and give the players a massive kick up the arse than scab an underwhelming draw and sleepwalk in to the next game.  We need to be ruthless from here on in. Better to win two and lose one, than win one and draw two. 

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

too conservative? haha. we dominated most games in terms of shots and possession. Plus we outplayed Walsall and Northampton in the last 2 home games. could have scored 5 or 6 in each game. 

I don't remember their keeper having a serious save to make. We're supposed to be going for automatic promotion and supposed to be equipped with vast attacking ability and we spent the 2nd half passing the ball around in circles getting nowhere.

We only got a draw vs Northampton, and dropped 4 points against them in the space of a month. That's all that matters here. 

We would probably benefit from taking a leaf out of Plymouth and Northampton's book and emulating their approach in games rather than self destructing through dreadful defending every week.

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I'm as down as anyone with the result and fear the play offs, but there is mass hysteria creeping in.  Shrewsbury have shown that they aren't invincible. They were top and surrendered a massive lead over us. They have tricky games coming up now and we need to be absolutely relentless.

One defeat in 19 and some want to sack the only manager in nearly 8 years to assemble a squad and get results. Crazy.  I would rather lose yesterday and give the players a massive kick up the arse than scab an underwhelming draw and sleepwalk in to the next game.  We need to be ruthless from here on in. Better to win two and lose one, than win one and draw two. 

Shrewsbury have shown more consistency than us all season. Nobody is telling me that they have a stronger squad than us, but they are performing better than us. 

We need to be relentless yet I've seen nothing to suggest we can go on a run of wins as required. 

Out of interest - this squad that Mowbray has assembled - how many do you think will be here for next season if we miss out? By my reckoning it will be bye bye time for Lenihan, Mulgrew, Dack, Evans, Graham, Conway, Antonsson, Chapman, Payne and Armstrong at the least. 

That's not being negative that's looking at the current squad,  many of whom are either out of contract or on loan, along with 2-3 who will not want to sit here for another year of 3rd division football.

Not much of a quality squad left when they all go. And the process starts again. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Shrewsbury have shown more consistency than us all season. Nobody is telling me that they have a stronger squad than us, but they are performing better than us. 

We need to be relentless yet I've seen nothing to suggest we can go on a run of wins as required. 

Out of interest - this squad that Mowbray has assembled - how many do you think will be here for next season if we miss out? By my reckoning it will be bye bye time for Lenihan, Mulgrew, Dack, Evans, Graham, Conway, Antonsson, Chapman, Payne and Armstrong at the least. 

That's not being negative that's looking at the current squad,  many of whom are either out of contract or on loan, along with 2-3 who will not want to sit here for another year of 3rd division football.

Not much of a quality squad left when they all go. And the process starts again. 

In the event of at least another year in L1 the list of BRFCexiters would also include Mowbray and his staff, imo. His masterplan in tatters.

Typical, 300 or so posts on the Walsall thread, over 600 on the Plymouth thread, wonder why?

Anyway, we were due a defeat, so now we start again, it's football, you do lose now and again..

All this, we have better players than every team in the league is tosh, most teams have better defences than we do, Williams, Downing, Nyambe.....they are better than Wigan's equivalents :huh:.

We haven't got a defence without Mulgrew.  Mowbray's biggest mistake has been the lack of investment in this area.

But, TM has made me feel a lot better about Rovers than at almost any point in the last 7 years, so I will cut him slack, but then, some will call for yet another change of management.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray's sole remit is promotion. He's admitted as much himself. He isn't being judged on 'rebuilding' the club, he isn't being judged because he 'isn't Coyle'. Unbeaten runs, nice signings and talking sense all irrelevant if we don't do the most important thing.

He deserves the season to get us up. If he does he has achieved his target, if he doesn't he should be sacked and someone else be given the task.

We all know really that whatever happens on the pitch Venkys won't make a decision, especially as Mowbray has won them over and it appears appointed his own CEO.

It might just be me but I expect us to work their goalkeeper from time to time. Bucket loads of possession but little end product. 

I identified a leaky defence as a concern several weeks ago and it has continued to cause us big problems.

Anyone can have a bad day at the office. Trouble with us is it is every other week. Fleetwood we nearly threw the game away until Smallwood popped up with the winner. Northampton home and away were woeful. Yesterday woeful. Happens far too often and to just ignore it and point to a long unbeaten run is dangerous.

Mowbray has said he had nothing to do with the CEO appointment. So why keep mentioning it. 

Dont think we were awful against Northampton at home. We played some good football. 

We outplayed Fleetwood 1st half and didnt put our chances away. 

I'm expecting a massive response from the players and some changes for the Oldham game

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I'm expecting a massive response from the players and some changes for the Oldham game

I am too. However, we need to get away from keep making changes as this is part of the problem.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I agree, not many will stick around should we fail to go up.  But up until 3pm yesterday, the facts showed that we were the 2nd most consistent team in the league. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has said he had nothing to do with the CEO appointment. So why keep mentioning it. 

Dont think we were awful against Northampton at home. We played some good football. 

We outplayed Fleetwood 1st half and didnt put our chances away. 

Because I don't believe it is a coincidence. Regardless of what Mowbray says.

I agree we were excellent away at Fleetwood in the first half. Then shot ourselves in the foot and were a different team in the 2nd half. Comes back to inconsistency and  causing problems for ourselves in games we could have won comfortably. Happens a lot. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

All this talk of fancy systems really amuses me. We have dropped too many points because of our inability to defend set pieces properly and will continue to do so. It's onè of the basic principles of footballing success.

Quite right. We lack aerial dominance in defence exacerbated by an apparent lack positional sense in some players, the former is due to recruitment and the latter due to coaching. We also lack a real aerial threat up front.

Supposedly ignorant posters on here spotted that last summer, indeed since Hanley and Duffy did a bunk.

L1 is peopled by teams with big/tall players and our team structure cannot always compete with the more agricultural approach in L1.

What a day, Manchester, Preston then on to Ewood to board to the 6.00am coach to Plymouth,...equally longer on my return journey with added roadworks on the M6 .

Not much i can say on the performance really  ,we just didn't turn up , could have played till doomsday and we wouldn't have scored  ...One day TM will get is team and tactics right hopefully on my next long trip to Portsmouth .... 

33 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Well said, Shrewsbury too be fair have reacted well to the defeat we inflicted on them and it's clear they aren't going too collapse like we all thought, which is all the more reason for us to use yesterday as a kick up the arse and go on a run of winning matches and being ruthless as you say, letting Shrewsbury know the minute they do F**k up that we'll be there.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Because I don't believe it is a coincidence. Regardless of what Mowbray says.

I agree we were excellent away at Fleetwood in the first half. Then shot ourselves in the foot and were a different team in the 2nd half. Comes back to inconsistency and  causing problems for ourselves in games we could have won comfortably. Happens a lot. 

The difference between a league 1 player/championship player and a premiership player is usually consistency. Along with finding a goal scorer, consistency is the hardest part of the game to achieve as a manager.

Posters keep throwing out Wigan and Shrewsbury as examples to beat the manager with, both are within 4 points of us? Earlier in the season it was Bradford and Scunny.....

Plenty of games left in the season yet, we're in a far better position than I thought we would be, and as Doug says above, most fans are enjoying going to games again, who would have thought it eh?

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Quite right. We lack aerial dominance in defence exacerbated by an apparent lack positional sense in some players, the former is due to recruitment and the latter due to coaching. We also lack a real aerial threat up front.

Supposedly ignorant posters on here spotted that last summer, indeed since Hanley and Duffy did a bunk.

L1 is peopled by teams with big/tall players and our team structure cannot always compete with the more agricultural approach in L1.

Having seen a replay of the first goal yesterday it confirmed what I thought at the time. Armstrong lazily is wrong side of the Plymouth player and fouls him. The free kick is chipped in to the far post and one of the big Plymouth centre backs wins the header and the second ball is smashed in by an unopposed Plymouth player on the penalty spot. Plymouth just didn't have to work hard to score that goal, three pieces of shocking defending in a matter of seconds handed it to them on a plate.

Just now, Gav said:

The difference between a league 1 player/championship player and a premiership player is usually consistency. Along with finding a goal scorer, consistency is the hardest part of the game to achieve as a manager.

Posters keep throwing out Wigan and Shrewsbury as examples to beat the manager with, both are within 4 points of us? Earlier in the season it was Bradford and Scunny.....

Plenty of games left in the season yet, we're in a far better position than I thought we would be, and as Doug says above, most fans are enjoying going to games again, who would have thought it eh?

Fans are enjoying going to games because we're winning or expect to win most of them. That optimism will not last should our stay in this dreadful division extend beyond this summer. 

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Your are happy because we have exceeded your expectations but I believe we are under achieving. Mowbray set a high bar as far as the fans expectations go by saying he ought to be sacked if we don't go up.

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They may be 4 points in front of us but Wigan Have 2 games in hand and Shrewsbury have 1 game in hand.

It's starting to look more and more difficult unless they start dropping points which is looking unlikely at this stage.

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Your are happy because we have exceeded your expectations but I believe we are under achieving. Mowbray set a high bar as far as the fans expectations go by saying he ought to be sacked if we don't go up.

Hopefully, even if we don't go up, I would hope that Mowbray is still here next season.  

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It also leads to problems down the line in terms of his authority. He's on record as saying he wouldn't be much of a manager if he can't get this club up and would expect to be sacked. If we don't go up and he remains in place what message does that send those players and supporters who remain? 

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Fans are enjoying going to games because we're winning or expect to win most of them. That optimism will not last should our stay in this dreadful division extend beyond this summer. 

Still doesn't take away the fact people are enjoying their football again JH after years of absolute crap, and whilst I don't want to spend years down in 3rd division, the gates suggest not everyone finds the experience as traumatic as posters on here do.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't think we're underachieving, for many reasons, but you're right about Mowbray setting the bar, he'll have to offer his resignation if we don't go up, which is a shame because I believe you don't progress having to change managers and players every 12 months, especially when you're skint. 

Archived