BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see Marroitt a few times thanjks. He scores goals but his all round game isn't good enough for us. 

So if Marriott transfers to Forest or Bristol City and notches 20 goals next season will you maintain the view that his 'all round game' isn't good enough or accept that perhaps he is good enough for Rovers?

Strikers deal in a currency of goals, everything else is a sideshow.

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

So if Marriott transfers to Forest or Bristol City and notches 20 goals next season will you maintain the view that his 'all round game' isn't good enough or accept that perhaps he is good enough for Rovers?

Strikers deal in a currency of goals, everything else is a sideshow.

Plenty on here disagreed on that with regards to Rhodes. I liked Rhodes, but in the modern game I think managers are looking for players with other strings in their bows such as strength and/or pace 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

I like him. He keeps the fans updated. 

It's an interesting approach, that's for sure. I wonder what the general consensus is among their fans?

I follow him, so I see how he communicates with them. It is very transparent, that's for sure. I have just noticed a few times that in the heat of the moment after games they have lost, he has hung players out to dry. I am not sure that is a good idea. When we played them at home at the end of last season, after the game he tweeted something along the lines of "experienced defenders who should do better, let us down again. This will be sorted during the summer". I would imagine it was aimed at Taylor who slipped for Dacks 1st goal. Losing that did rule them out of getting a play-off spot, but I thought that was more like a comment a fan would write on a message board as opposed to the owner of the club. I suppose some fans thought the comment was fair enough. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's an interesting approach, that's for sure. I wonder what the general consensus is among their fans?

I follow him, so I see how he communicates with them. It is very transparent, that's for sure. I have just noticed a few times that in the heat of the moment after games they have lost, he has hung players out to dry. I am not sure that is a good idea. When we played them at home at the end of last season, after the game he tweeted something along the lines of "experienced defenders who should do better, let us down again. This will be sorted during the summer". I would imagine it was aimed at Taylor who slipped for Dacks 1st goal. Losing that did rule them out of getting a play-off spot, but I thought that was more like a comment a fan would write on a message board as opposed to the owner of the club. I suppose some fans thought the comment was fair enough. 

Agree, its refreshing on the transfer front but publicly lambasting the team after matches is not very professional at all. He is not the manager and surely the buck stops with the manager, so why is he not publicly shaming him after losses? No wonder many of their players want gone every summer. They are a selling club though and they always ask top dollar for their players.

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Agree, its refreshing on the transfer front but publicly lambasting the team after matches is not very professional at all. He is not the manager and surely the buck stops with the manager, so why is he not publicly shaming him after losses? No wonder many of their players want gone every summer. They are a selling club though and they always ask top dollar for their players.

Ya, they buy players who excel at lower and non league level ,hoping to turn a profit. They could have worse owners, but I am not sure I would want be a fan of his approach myself. When it comes to Twitter usage, he is a bit of a mini Donald Trump 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Doesn't the Posh chairman do similar every time there is some clubs after one of his prized assets ?

Just trying to get the biggest deposit he can I suppose but also risks frightening clubs off and an angry player.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, TruRover said:

According to sky we're interested in james Morrison on a free. Can't really see it myself as we've already brought in 2 midfielders 

Makes sense with Mowbray with Morrison being a Middlesbrough lad and Mowbray took him to WBA. Think he'd be a good signing in the Championship but not sure if he's fit, seemed to miss last season with inury.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Makes sense with Mowbray with Morrison being a Middlesbrough lad and Mowbray took him to WBA. Think he'd be a good signing in the Championship but not sure if he's fit, seemed to miss last season with inury.

I suggested him a few weeks back now. Would be a great signing. Experienced international who the likes of Rothwell and Davenport could learn from. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

like who?

I see Marroitt a few times thanjks. He scores goals but his all round game isn't good enough for us. 

I fully understand the need for a striker to score goals but he needs to have more to his game than goals. Yes I would have played King and Gestede up front. One has pace and goals and one has hold up ability and score goals. King is having a PL career whilst Rhodes has never a proper go at it and I wonder why? No pace, strength or hold up ability. 

Mowbray has told you what role he see Rothwell playing and the type of player he is. 

I named my team would the current playing squad but given that we are likely to make some more signings my team would change has I did say. 

On Edwards, his stats for last season as 7 goals and 4 assist in 33 games. the season before 9 goals and 4 assists in 41 games played

depends on your thinking. 

IMO, his openness and honest approach with fans is great to see

yes we have 2 signings. I don't see his problem but hey ho

I never said that Rhodes is a better player now, or that King hasnt developed a lot since he left us. Our strikers guaranteed us over 40 goals so your idiotic plan to drop one wouldnt have got us any more goals, both as an individual or as a team.

Goalkeepers that can pick a pass are no good if they dont make saves. Defenders who bring it out from the back are no good if they cant defend. Wingers who can beat a man but then do nothing after are no good. A strikers primary job is to score goals. Yes he needs other qualities ideally but if hes scoring 20 goals he is undroppable.

He hasnt said "ive signed him to play him out of position on the wing leaving us with no pace out wide" and besides I stand by my assertion that Bennett and central midfielder Rothwell both playing wide will give us little attacking threat and leave us unable to counter on teams. I think Mowbray is wiser than that anyway so its a moot point.

Yeah, im unconvinced when you account for the step up in quality that he woule be good enough.

Only because youre a martyr to transfer gossip. Its unprofessional and I wouldnt like to be a manager for him.

• Like 1

Morrison would be a cracking signing. The more good players and competition the better. 

I doubt there is any truth to it though. The link says Boro are the front runners with us and Derby also in the mix. Sounds like a text book 3 club linked article 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

According to sky we're interested in james Morrison on a free. Can't really see it myself as we've already brought in 2 midfielders 

Considering Tony Mowbray said that we would only be signing 5 or 6 players this summer, we have already signed two midfielders, are known to be on the lookout for a goalkeeper, still in my opinion need two strikers, a defender and a winger or two with pace, this worries me.

Conway on one side and Morrison on the other would make us one of the slowest counter-attacking teams in the League.

2 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Considering Tony Mowbray said that we would only be signing 5 or 6 players this summer, we have already signed two midfielders, are known to be on the lookout for a goalkeeper, still in my opinion need two strikers, a defender and a winger or two with pace, this worries me.

Conway on one side and Morrison on the other would make us one of the slowest counter-attacking teams in the League.

Don't let signing good players worry you. 

If the squad isn't balanced come the end of the window, then it would be time to worry. That won't be the case though 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

But signing 3 out of the 5/6 players we want all in one position when we only have 1 winger and 1 proven goalscorer on the books would be silly BDS, despite them being "good players".

Koeman signed lots of good players for Everton last season but they all played in the same position - he was fired.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

But signing 3 out of the 5/6 players we want all in one position when we only have 1 winger and 1 proven goalscorer on the books would be silly BDS, despite them being "good players".

Koeman signed lots of good players for Everton last season but they all played in the same position - he was fired.

Rothwell will play further forward. He has signed Davenport for the centre with Smallwood or whoever. Signing Morrison could mean someone could leave, ie Travis on loan to an upper league 1 team. The 5-6 is an estimate, does that even include loans? Morrison is exactly the type of player we need. Experienced and quality at this level. 

I agree we need 2 wingers and a striker, but if we did sign Morrison thay would be 3 signings, leaving the afformentioned 3 places to be filled. 

I don't think it's true anyway. Just a lazy link because of his connection to Mowbray 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I'm glad we're seemingly prioritsing central midfield. It was the weakest areas of the team last year. Evans/Wittingham are miles away from the quality needed, and Smallwood tailed off after chrismas. In the modern game, it is the most important area IMO. 

Just now, iSeeRed said:

Seen us 'linked' with Chris Brunt on a free.  Most likely bollocks but would anybody be interested?

Good player in his day and did play 27 times in the PL last season...age against him though so if it was a one year deal on wages that befit our structure, could be an option.,

8 minutes ago, iSeeRed said:

Seen us 'linked' with Chris Brunt on a free.  Most likely bollocks but would anybody be interested?

Big yes for me. Maybe not a name to set hearts racing with excitement, but I feel he'd offer a lot. Experience, leadership, grit, an eye goal, and versatility. I'd imagine his wage wouldn't break the bank either.

• Like 2

I reckon we will see 5 perm signings and 1 or two loans.

Seems like Rothwell will play back up to dack and will probably have a similar role to Payne last season. Davenport will boost our midfield options and give us a more creative option.

Would like to think we will bring in 2 wide players and a striker and then Mayby a loan to give us cover in defence. 

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree we need 2 wingers and a striker, but if we did sign Morrison thay would be 3 signings, leaving the afformentioned 3 places to be filled.

We need two. Any less and we are weaker than last season upfront in options.

• Like 2

I just can't find myself getting too excited about young PL loans for a season.

Just racking my brain and how many players have we ever signed on loan (and NOT signed permanently) that have gone on to promising careers?

(Cariney, King, Rudy obvs don't count as they were made permanent, and players like Marcus Babbel etc were already established - even Santa Cruz and Bentley were garbage when they came back!)

I came up with Michael Keane... Any others?