BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - Success or Failure

• Backroom

5/10 so far. Squad not good enough for a full season, not enough ambition shown for my liking so far and very confused as to why we started panic bidding towards the end. Does not fill me with confidence. 

Could end up a 7-8/10 by Sept 1 if we bring in some top quality loans with a view to buy. Not holding my breath at this point though and won't be paying much attention to what Mowbray says in the press about transfers going forward. His comments have thus far been disappointedly at odds with reality. 

• Like 5

Think I’m most disappointed by the fact that we haven’t added to our first team. We appear to have replaced benchwarmers with similar, possibly marginal improvements (time will tell).

If we had no cash, and admitted as much, then it’s kind of understandable - if frustrating - but being told that there is money to spend makes it a big failure in terms of the window.

I think I’m just sick of being told one thing only for something else (worse) to materialise. Not saying that we are being lied to but we clearly cannot deliver on promises.

• Like 3

I think Armstrong was the no 1 target all along and they've kept talking it down to keep others out and maybe not get expectations up so the Toon could hold out for more whilst Rovers came under pressure from our fans to get it done. Newcastle, agent and player also probably wanted to see if anything else materialised but I think it was on the cards all along not a B,C list turned to when others fell through. He ticks ALL the boxes and the price fits as does the confidence of people who kept saying we'd trump the Dack signing money wise.

The messing with Bauer was odd and would back up theories of a budget of around two mill because it was the change from Armstrong they were trying to spend. If you wanted him and you had the kind of money banded about in the last 24 hrs you'd get a bit more serious even if quite rightly you wouldn't pay a million or more. Maybe he'll turn up in summer for bugger all though !

Not right sure how to take the 4 & 5 mill bids really but it's done and dusted now although failure to land a couple of quality loans using some of that cash to give us a fighting chance of a good season will be met with angst. Again quite rightly, Rovers have shown their hand now aided by the daft local journo ( unless prompted ) so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to just get boddies from the D list after being priced out of borrowing players even.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Garner for a million pound 10 goals last year in the Championship in 32 games. That's more than our current alternatives to Graham,(Samuel and Nuttall) managed combined in league 1 last season. As for Windass he has an eye for goal and something that we desperately lack which is pace.

Hurst had a clear plan sign players that he had seen last year that could be bought for a reasonable fee and could be improved. Whereas all Mowbray appeared to have was a few lists.

Garner may of been worth a gamble but not Windass.

Hurst has already been criticised by his new fans They feel signing only league one players will put you in league one. 

I still suspect Venky's still feel you can run a club on short term signings, low wages and loan signings as they did on day one. I expected for few permanent sigings but feel we will be busy in the loan market in the next few weeks. 

I said a few weeks ago that Mowbray got his sums wrong at the start of the summer and had to go cap in hand for more money. By the time Venky's gave the go ahead it was too late.

• Like 1

Let’s see what we do in the loan market. If we have any aspirations (to hold on to the likes of Lenihan) then we need to have a good season. If the window had shut completely today then it would have offered no impetus for the season. It could already have a major effect on our August games and shape our season as a midtable-play-off-hopeful or another relegation battle.

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Garner for a million pound 10 goals last year in the Championship in 32 games. That's more than our current alternatives to Graham,(Samuel and Nuttall) managed combined in league 1 last season. As for Windass he has an eye for goal and something that we desperately lack which is pace.

Hurst had a clear plan sign players that he had seen last year that could be bought for a reasonable fee and could be improved. Whereas all Mowbray appeared to have was a few lists.

I am very surprised we didn't do more business from league one tbh. 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I am very surprised we didn't do more business from league one tbh. 

We already have plenty of League One standard players. We could have done to add to Our Championship standard ranks.

3 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Garner may of been worth a gamble but not Windass.

Hurst has already been criticised by his new fans They feel signing only league one players will put you in league one. 

I can understand that as they won't have seen much of them - but having seen how decent Edwards, Nsiala, Nolan etc were last year, there are clearly several players who could easily step up a level. 

20 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

As i said both tosh. Garner, Ipswich don't want the bugger, rangers didn't want the bugger, hes rubbish. Windass, again rangers don't want the bugger, their fans think hes shite, wasnt that great in league 2 with accy. Imo of course. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

From the outset Mowbray wanted to add quality and players such as mcginn , freeman and the lad from forest I believe  represent this. 

Would I want Windass and garner ? If your looking at the present possibly and grudgingly yes. Are they significantly better than what we have? Debatable.

If your trying to build something the other three show more purpose and ambition and would have raised the overall  standard of the team. That I feel is what we should be aiming towards.

However I agree the end result leaves a feeling of deflation and anti climax. Maybe for Mowbray and Waggot when Speaking about transfer policy. They need to walk the walk when they talk the talk.

The last part rings true.  I really think that they were too over confident with what seems a good budget.  We want to get players from this list rather than that list.  Proven players with champ experience.  Exciting footballers etc.  They probably turned their nose up at some decent signings and tried to go for a marquee style signing, failed, then realised the other players had signed elsewhere.  

Anyway enough is  enough.  Must admit to being absolutely fuming this evening. Lol   Done enough wallowing now -  nowt can be done now.  Time for a beer, and hopefully a great loan window and 3 points on Sat.

COYB

I'm pleased with the signings he made. Armstrong at 1.75 million pounds with adds ons rising to 3 mil is a bargain and steal. Palmer is good loan signing and Davenport should be very good signing. 

Would I like another striker, winger and centre back? of course but we could do that during the loan window. 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I can't believe the lack of faith in the manager. Most of you know my feelings of the owners and how critical I've been of the club over the years but this guy has earned the right for us to trust him. Now I'm not saying people shouldn't be dissapointed but to make out that it's been a disaster, horrific or a shambles is a massive over reaction in my view... Especially as we can still bring in players and simply sign them in 4 1/2 months, whilst giving them extra motivation to earn their contract. I'm pretty sure Mowbray has even discussed testing clubs late in the window to get better value for money. 

Its been a long time since we've had a decent enough manager in charge that we can actually trust. Today has been an indication of what type of quality he wants to bring in, surely we can take the positives from that? To have a manager with actual aspirations is something we've been robbed of for 8 years... So trust him for gods sake, he's earned it. Yeah, signings might not have come off but if we pull of some great loans with agreements in place before the end of the month I guarantee we'll have less folk complaining. 

In Mowbray I trust. 

I totally agree Neal, the lack of faith in Mowbray is very sadly and very pathetic to see. And this love in for Ipswich and Hurst I just don't get at all. Only Edwards I would have taken. 

Here is a list of Championship transfers

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Is that supposed to be reassuring?

Reassuring you that there are/were better players in league one than several of our current first team.  On which basis, we could still have strengthened from  league one.  Would have been great to add champ quality - but we failed miserably at that.

Ironic that our most experienced championship player was signed in league one and can't get a game.

Will be interesting to see where Ipswich finish in relation to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously hyperbole is natural, a horrific window is an exaggeration, of that il give you. And there is, on both sides of the argument, people who exaggerate and are unreasonable.

But you can judge individual aspects of the managers performance without losing total faith in him. Just as if he picks a questionable team, or makes questionable subs on Saturday and we lose, people will criticise him. Or if he signs Adam Armstrong, or if he gets us a win with the correct team or a clever sub, he will get praise. Just like I can credit Coyle for signing Mulgrew, and I never had faith in him at any point.

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to criticise when he does make mistakes, or does things that could be interpreted in a negative way. He said he had money, had targets, and hes not got them over the line. Its ok to say that. But ive not seen one person suggesting that they want him sacked or anything, so its not fair to suggest that so many have lost faith in him.

I'm not saying he's not to be critised, everyone is worthy of criticism, there just seems to be a bit of a lack of faith that he's trying to make the right decisions in the transfer market. Or perhaps its a lack of foresight to understand what he's tried to do... He's waited for clubs like Forest to make their signings who now have bloated squads and might need to cut their cloth accordingly... Earlier in the transfer window when they're less desperate they may have demanded much more for a player like Brereton. We have a limited budget, he's tried to use it cleverly in a desperate part of the window... It's not come off, naturally it's dissapointing but it's not like we're in a position where this is our side till December. I still think we'll be satisfied come the end of August. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm pleased with the signings he made. Armstrong at 1.75 million pounds with adds ons rising to 3 mil is a bargain and steal. Palmer is good loan signing and Davenport should be very good signing. 

Would I like another striker, winger and centre back? of course but we could do that during the loan window. 

As we haven't brought in any of those players during the last 3 months what makes you think that we are going to bring any of those positions during the next couple of weeks? And I thought you wanted an experienced back up goal keeper as well?

1 hour ago, AdamRochina said:

forget loaning Madison.. Ben..and Freeman..  We will loan Chapman and Gallagher then that's your lot 

But it would not just be a loan would it you would pay a loan fee of what ever price and then the rest of the first part of the fee in Jan to make it permanent

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I totally agree Neal, the lack of faith in Mowbray is very sadly and very pathetic to see. And this love in for Ipswich and Hurst I just don't get at all. Only Edwards I would have taken. 

quelle surprise your pleased............chadometer needs bringing back

• Like 1

I would look at taking Anya from Derby or Pilkington from Cardiff on a loan with a view to permanent deal. 

Striker wise, I would either get Gallagher from Southampton or Brereton from Forest on a loan deal with a view to permanent deal in January with fee already agree 

33 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I can understand that as they won't have seen much of them - but having seen how decent Edwards, Nsiala, Nolan etc were last year, there are clearly several players who could easily step up a level. 

Edwards and Harrison looked impressive against us I agree but Nolan had a poor game at Ewood and if Nsiala played that day then it appears he'll get mugged every game in the Championship.

I agree that some players could step up but rebuilding a championship team with only league one players could  result in problems at Ipswich . 

• Moderation Lead
16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You said you expected we would bring in more than we ultimately have done, so if people are the same as that and they’re disappointed, why are you criticising them for a lack of faith in our manager?

Logic on that....

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Edwards and Harrison looked impressive against us I agree but Nolan had a poor game at Ewood and if Nsiala played that day then it appears he'll get mugged every game in the Championship.

I agree that some players could step up but rebuilding a championship team with only league one players could  result in problems at Ipswich . 

Yeah I agree.  Will be interesting to see if Hurst knits them as tightly as he did with the Shrews.  

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would look at taking Anya from Derby or Pilkington from Cardiff on a loan with a view to permanent deal. 

Striker wise, I would either get Gallagher from Southampton or Brereton from Forest on a loan deal with a view to permanent deal in January with fee already agree 

In reality though you won't get anyone. Just like you didn't get any of the 3 permanent deals that you thought we were going to get this week.