BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton vs Rovers

AAK

7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

We never seem to win there, it's currently going to be a ball ache to get there, it's on TV, it's also £30 despite the latter, their fans have an obsession with us and seem to have manufactured a rivalry with us (the pre-match announcer said 'it's derby day here' the last time I went), they sacked off the reciprocal ticketing arrangement and they rip us off to sit in that hideous bowl of a ground of theirs. 

With all that being said, I'll probably still go......

Said this before far more  trouble v Bolton ...than any other club , I was there in 73 Sir Rogers finest hour and when they went up in 78 ......

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bolton is a derby. As is Preston. 

Of course.

Just makes me laugh just how important it is to Bolton in comparison, to the extent they’ve simply nicked the ‘Dingle’ ‘inbred’ ‘6 fingers’ stuff and transferred it to us.

Though not as pathetic as the ‘Plastics’ tag from Preston fans, simply because a few folk used to walk around in Rovers shirts 25 years ago. Though they’ve no issue with most folk in their ‘city’ wearing Liverpool and Man Utd shirts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course.

Just makes me laugh just how important it is to Bolton in comparison, to the extent they’ve simply nicked the ‘Dingle’ ‘inbred’ ‘6 fingers’ stuff and transferred it to us.

Though not as pathetic as the ‘Plastics’ tag from Preston fans, simply because a few folk used to walk around in Rovers shirts 25 years ago. Though they’ve no issue with most folk in their ‘city’ wearing Liverpool and Man Utd shirts.

It's a generational thing to some extent …. and also that some club's fans identify comes from who they hate rather than who they support. Everyone has to have a fierce rival these days, even if one has to be manufactured. Do Bolton have one? I think it was Man Utd in their Prem years.

On the generational thing, especially if you're over 40yo and were watching Rovers in the 70's and 80's Preston and Bolton have always been big derbies. I know Bolton and Nobbers fans of that age and they genuinely can't stand us. Nobbers fans round Leyland, Brig, Lostock Hall and Chorley are especially bitter! Ask their younger fans and it's all about Blackpool, but the 7k who turned up at Ewood know different. We are their nearest rivals after all, and they are ours. Still,  I enjoy reminding them they used to have an official Man Utd shop in their city centre in the late 90's/ early 2000's.

You still get a quite a few Rovers top in Preston. 

Anyway, I was just surprised @K-Hod was surprised the Bolton announcer called it 'derby day' when Rovers turned up. It's a pale imitation of what it was pre-90's but it's always been a pretty fierce local rivalry. 

• Like 1

Good post blueboy. An example of what you’re saying is if you speak to a Darrener of a certain age they will tell you it used to be all about Bolton for them. They used to go to the same schools etc, that doesn’t really happen now.

I think the 17 year gap before we played Burnley in 2000 at their place really hyped up that Derby way above all others. To the extent we were in an absolute frenzy by kick off 

Speak to older Bolton fans in Chorley and they'll come out with similar hairy tales of visits to Ewood and all sorts of shenanigans in Mill Hill or Lower Darwen etc, it's always been a big one for them. They don't come out with the silly Dingle jibes though they know better that only seems to have cottoned on in the last 10 years and like Matty says pathetically lifted from how us and PKE term Burnley although they've always used the term hillbillies to be fair !

Notlob also seem to try and jack up the PNE game as well beyond it just being another derby for some reason, they are just desperate to be hated so they can pretend to be notorious or something.

They pale into insignificance on both counts in comparison to Burnley, they are the invisible neighbour and they don't like it ?

• Moderation Lead
45 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's a generational thing to some extent …. and also that some club's fans identify comes from who they hate rather than who they support. Everyone has to have a fierce rival these days, even if one has to be manufactured. Do Bolton have one? I think it was Man Utd in their Prem years.

On the generational thing, especially if you're over 40yo and were watching Rovers in the 70's and 80's Preston and Bolton have always been big derbies. I know Bolton and Nobbers fans of that age and they genuinely can't stand us. Nobbers fans round Leyland, Brig, Lostock Hall and Chorley are especially bitter! Ask their younger fans and it's all about Blackpool, but the 7k who turned up at Ewood know different. We are their nearest rivals after all, and they are ours. Still,  I enjoy reminding them they used to have an official Man Utd shop in their city centre in the late 90's/ early 2000's.

You still get a quite a few Rovers top in Preston. 

Anyway, I was just surprised @K-Hod was surprised the Bolton announcer called it 'derby day' when Rovers turned up. It's a pale imitation of what it was pre-90's but it's always been a pretty fierce local rivalry. 

My post was more that they announced it like we were their main rivals, but even if they consider that the case, it isn't reciprocated...(Though admittedly, I'm not keen).

• 2 weeks later...

On general sale now with only 600 sold to season ticket holders and 1875.

As I said on page 1, Rovers fans just don’t pay £30, especially not when on Sky (plus train issues this time to compound it).

Looks like the good numbers we had at Stoke won’t get close to being matched down the road at Bolton - says a lot.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 23:10, Waggy76 said:

Said this before far more  trouble v Bolton ...than any other club , I was there in 73 Sir Rogers finest hour and when they went up in 78 ......

The walk to and from burnden park, from the station was always a nervy time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The team can't hear the fans from the pubs unfortunately, they want to win and so do we = team effort.

Get there if you can !

For lots of good supporters loyalty will only be stretched so far. I have spoken to quite a lot of Rovers fans in the last few days who aren't going and the main reason is that overpriced product that will be Bolton against Rovers. They can watch it at home or in the pub, have a few drinks and it would still be cheaper. Championship football is in danger of imploding where travelling fans are concerned. I envisage our lowest ever away support at Leeds on Boxing Day at £40 for an adult ticket.

I certainly understand anybody who is boycotting the away games where greed comes first.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Usually, I would have gone to this. But, I’m at a meal in Clitheroe about half 7 that night, so I’ll just be watching it in the boozer, then going onto the meal after....

So, if it had been a 3pm kick off (or even 1230), I would have been there. The travel issues admittedly don’t help. ‘Rail replacement bus service’ brings back too many memories of annoyingly long journeys back to uni...

57 minutes ago, arbitro said:

For lots of good supporters loyalty will only be stretched so far. I have spoken to quite a lot of Rovers fans in the last few days who aren't going and the main reason is that overpriced product that will be Bolton against Rovers. They can watch it at home or in the pub, have a few drinks and it would still be cheaper. Championship football is in danger of imploding where travelling fans are concerned. I envisage our lowest ever away support at Leeds on Boxing Day at £40 for an adult ticket.

I certainly understand anybody who is boycotting the away games where greed comes first.

Yep prices are a shocker and I think most local clubs take their smallest local away following there nowadays and have for a while. Never understand that from Leeds point of view because most sides would take good numbers there if it was normally priced. Championship will definitely follow the Prem in the near future were smaller fanbases struggle to keep pace with its pricing and the bubble may blow there first but there's that many big city clubs finding themselves in it that covers the crowd averages and justifies the prices for the spin doctors.

This one though is literally up the road and plenty will spend more in the boozer, we do have that kick one and they all jump mentality at times, one bloke says I can't afford it and another 5 say yeah sod it whether they can or not. We should still be taking the numbers that went to Stoke and we probably will if there's good result on Sat.

First post wasn't a dig at anyone each to their own it was more of a rallying call, I don't want to be surrounded by empty seats ?

Shame on you Bolton !

Edited by tomphil

Just now, tomphil said:

Yep prices are a shocker and I think most local clubs take their smallest local away following there nowadays and have for a while. Never understand that from Leeds point of view because most sides would take good numbers there if it was normally priced. Championship will definitely follow the Prem in the near future were smaller fanbases struggle to keep pace with its pricing and the bubble may blow there first but there's that many big city clubs finding themselves in it that covers the crowd averages and justifies the prices for the spin doctors.

This one though is literally up the road and plenty will spend more in the boozer, we do that kick one and they all jump mentality at times, one bloke says I can't afford it and another 5 say yeah sod it whether they can or not. We should still be taking the numbers that went to Stoke and we probably will if there's good result on Sat.

First post wasn't a dig at anyone each to there own it was more of a rallying call, I don't want to be surrounded by empty seats ?

Shame on you Bolton !

And the real irony for Leeds is that should they get promoted they can only charge visiting fans £30 maximum. Leeds are here in a few weeks and we are charging adults £27. I understand Rovers are bound by some EFL regulation on visitors vs home fans pricing but I would love some clubs to rebel against this and charge them what we have to pay.

• Like 2

Been to Leeds loads down the years it's a good day out but last time was 6 years ago, Kean was still boss. It was about 34 quid then on the day I think and we had a good following but we'd just signed Rhodes and it was first league visit there for a while I think.  However the facilities and way we were treated by the stewards and OB we vowed to never go back again at those prices and never have, I suppose some feel the same about the Horwich hole to be fair.

I'm no snowflake but at Leeds that day i'm amazed there wasn't some incident it was similar to being rammed inside the Turd. They wouldn't open extra room either in the seats or downstairs despite there being a half a stand and two tiers to go at and any passive complaint was met with aggression and threat of being nicked.

Bolton i'll tolerate because it's local and the team deserve the support now but Leeds never again unless they sort themselves out.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I understand Rovers are bound by some EFL regulation on visitors vs home fans pricing but I would love some clubs to rebel against this and charge them what we have to pay.

Yes there are rules but a bit of imagination and the rules can be got around. It's all about corresponding areas - clubs cannot charge different prices for fans in the same areas of the ground. So if we decide that away fans are based downstairs in the Darwen End then we have to charge the same price as home fans in the equivalent area e.g. Blackburn End lower tier. We could charge less in the Riverside and Jack Walker. If we decided to put them in the upper tier of the Darwen End then we could charge at the equivalent rate to the Blackburn End upper tier. 

Bolton often put the away fans upstairs where they can charge away fans more than home fans. We decide to give away fans the cheapest or second cheapest zone of seating when we could move them to a more expensive zone if we wanted to. We're blessed because we've got plenty of space and different places to have away fans and upstairs in the Darwen End is ideal on segregation lines and is of ample capacity for most clubs. 

We don't do this. Either because we're trying to be nice and not upset anyone or because nobody at the club has any interest in these sort of issues and are quite happy for our fans to pay more than away fans coming to Ewood who get the freedom of the Darwen End and who pay less than home fans in the Jack Walker stand. 

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Been to Leeds loads down the years it's a good day out but last time was 6 years ago, Kean was still boss. It was about 34 quid then on the day I think and we had a good following but we'd just signed Rhodes and it was first league visit there for a while I think.  However the facilities and way we were treated by the stewards and OB we vowed to never go back again at those prices and never have, I suppose some feel the same about the Horwich hole to be fair.

I'm no snowflake but at Leeds that day i'm amazed there wasn't some incident it was similar to being rammed inside the Turd. They wouldn't open extra room either in the seats or downstairs despite there being a half a stand and two tiers to go at and any passive complaint was met with aggression and threat of being nicked.

Bolton i'll tolerate because it's local and the team deserve the support now but Leeds never again unless they sort themselves out.

To 'Ell and back...Elland Rd has a great atmosphere but it's one rough shyte hole!!

A classic example of a Club who shaft it's fan base because it can...Bolton are pushing it with their limited fan base.

For Clubs like us and Bolton prices are not sustainable anymore with the Sky saturation coverage....something has to give,and it will!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1