BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I actually completely disagree with the criticism of Premier League Clubs loaning out their youngsters, if anything, even though there will be a sizeable loan fee involved,  they're still doing Clubs further down the Leagues a massive favour by lending them their players then subsidising a huge chunk of their wages. For the smaller Club then to leave them out or use the player simply to fill their Bench is the ultimate show of disrespect imo. I think it is only fair to have provisos about game time built in to these type of deals.

If you don't like it, go out and sign and buy your own player outright! 

Im not that bothered if the City lad doesn't come, it's no surprise the deal has floundered, he'd only have been a squad filler in TM's eyes and  I'm not sure he's  what we needed in any event.

I think we'll struggle to get loans from any PL Clubs bearing in mind Mowbray's attitude about incoming players having to dislodge those already here and the way we treated Palmer last season and Barrow in the past.

What say though the "Mowbray can do no wrong" brigade who were cock a hoop  about the prospect of us signing a guy "who played 36 games in a team that finished in the play offs?"

We've now missed out on our 2 main targets in defence Bauer (who we chased unsuccessfully for 12 months) and a young loanee who we subsequently made our new number one target.

Cause for concern yet?

Or like last season are Waggott and Mowbray simply going to have to go back cap in hand to the owners at the eleventh hour and say "Please Sir (or Madam) can I have some more?"

Edit: I see JH Rover beat me to much of the above whilst I was typing!

Clubs can’t go out and buy these players outright because the big clubs have hoovered them up with no real intention on playing them but make money out of loan fees.

If one of them turns good they get to keep them or any resulting transfer fee.

It has distorted the market even more in favour of the big clubs.

Can’t believe you’re in favour of that, Rev.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, philipl said:

Just wanted to look at the rest of the Championship given Wigan were quoted to see how everyone else is doing.

These numbers include loans.

An awful lot of released unemployed footballers out there.

A huge amount of business to be done yet.

IN-OUT CLUB

7   7     Barnsley

1   7     Birmingham City (includes Jota and Adams for big sums)

4   4     ROVERS

5   5     Brentford (only Konse of their crown jewels has gone)

4   10   Bristol City (includes Kelly gone for £12m)

3   4    Cardiff City

5   10  Charlton Athletic (includes two contract expiries they would have wanted to keep)

1    7   Derby County

1    4   Fulham

5    9   Huddersfield Town

2    6   Hull City

4    6   Leeds United

2    6   Luton Town

1    5   Middlesbrough

2   10   Millwall

4   10   Nottingham Forest

1    7   Preston North End

7    7   Queens Park Rangers

1    9   Reading

1    8   Sheffield Wednesday

7    3   Stoke City

0    8   Swansea City (includes James for £15m)

1    6   West Bromwich Albion

0    8   Wigan Athletic

If I were a Brum, Luton, Swansea or Wigan fan I'd be very worried.

Were these stats taken the day after the season ended as they certainly aren’t up to date.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Zero problem with that, to be honest. They're loaning us a talent we couldn't dream of pulling on our shirt (as we've fallen that far in a decade). In return they want a guarantee that he'll play and, therefore, develop.

If he's not up to snuff we send him back, ala Palmer. Why you wouldn't make the promise that he plays X number of games at this stage is beyond me. 

Astonishing view but if you support the top clubs having 40-50 players signed including the brightest prospects then fair enough. Carry on being grateful for being taken the mickey out of by the big boys.

29 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Firstly, I think your assessment of Evans, Williams and Mulgrew as ‘deadwood’ is scandalous. They don’t deserve that and are handy squad players. 

Smallwood, Gladwin and now probably Samuel need to be moved on as well as a few youth loans.

I said to mate at the end of the season that if we got to a position where we had 3 of Williams, Mulgrew, Bennett and Evans regularly on the bench then we wouldn’t be far off a team challenging for the top 6. 

They are all players that no longer warrant a place in the side - if we play our strongest side and sign a cb of any quality.  I expect they are amongst the highest earners at the club and would be infinitely  replaceable in my eyes.

* I accept there is an argument to keep William's as  cover for cb.

If they are here, they won't be on the bench though Mani.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I admire your optimism that we're doing all we can to get a defender in, but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

I predicted at the start of the window that Bennett and Mulgrew would start in defence against Charlton and it looks like that's what will happen.

An experienced defender, to go straight into the side just isn't happening.

I did say ‘potential’ that...I also agree that Bennett and Mulgrew will start which isn’t good.

44 minutes ago, Neal said:

Need clubs to take them first. Plenty would want Mulgrew but not many could pay his wages. Same goes for Evans. 

I think Williams at centre half is pretty decent, he gets a lot of stick because of his performances at left back but he's not a left back. 

Fair point about Williams.  Upto Waggott to earn his corn and shift them. 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

They are all players that no longer warrant a place in the side - if we play our strongest side and sign a cb of any quality.  I expect they are amongst the highest earners at the club and would be infinitely  replaceable in my eyes.

We need squad players of that quality if we want to go up. If those four start regularly this season were not going up.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Preston have Nugent and Bauer, Wednesday have 3 as do WBA, those figures are wrong.

That being said, the recent uproar has been not about the timing of the deals, but on the back of Mowbray himself saying that he wants one centre back (presumably Adarabioyo) in because any more could cause problems with *insert list of defenders who Mowbray rightfully said have shown they cant do it.*

Stoke announced 5 in one go.

On Evans in particular I don't think he is good enough to play the quick passing game that Mowbray is promising. I have seen him and Smallwood dither in possession far too often to believe they can play quickly.

Of course that's if Mowbray hasn't changed his mind.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

We need squad players of that quality if we want to go up. If those four start regularly this season were not going up.

Hang on.  So they aren't good enough for the first 11 but good squad players?

Surely a club would want its highest earners making the biggest impact on the pitch.

Would you be happy with a bench of:

Leutwiler

Mulgrew

Evans

Williams

Bennett

Downing

Brereton

(That's dropping Smallwood altogether)

Hang on.  So they aren't good enough for the first 11 but good squad players?

Surely a club would want its highest earners making the biggest impact on the pitch.

Would you be happy with a bench of:

Leutwiler

Mulgrew

Evans

Williams

Bennett

Downing

Brereton

(That's dropping Smallwood altogether)

My point was that if we had players in the first XI good enough to have those on the bench then we would be ready to go up...

Just now, Paul Mani said:

My point was that if we had players in the first XI good enough to have those on the bench then we would be ready to go up...

Barring cb, we do have players better than those for the first 11.  Not sure they would get us promoted though.  Nor will the manager play them.

We aren't far off though and that's the frustrating thing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Just wanted to look at the rest of the Championship given Wigan were quoted to see how everyone else is doing.

These numbers include loans.

An awful lot of released unemployed footballers out there.

A huge amount of business to be done yet.

IN-OUT CLUB

7   7     Barnsley

1   7     Birmingham City (includes Jota and Adams for big sums)

4   4     ROVERS

5   5     Brentford (only Konse of their crown jewels has gone)

4   10   Bristol City (includes Kelly gone for £12m)

3   4    Cardiff City

5   10  Charlton Athletic (includes two contract expiries they would have wanted to keep)

1    7   Derby County

1    4   Fulham

5    9   Huddersfield Town

2    6   Hull City

4    6   Leeds United

2    6   Luton Town

1    5   Middlesbrough

2   10   Millwall

4   10   Nottingham Forest

1    7   Preston North End

7    7   Queens Park Rangers

1    9   Reading

1    8   Sheffield Wednesday

7    3   Stoke City

0    8   Swansea City (includes James for £15m)

1    6   West Bromwich Albion

0    8   Wigan Athletic

If I were a Brum, Luton, Swansea or Wigan fan I'd be very worried.

Who are the 4 ins and outs for Rovers?

In 4

Downing, Johnson, Gally, Walton

Out 5?

Reed, Conway, Rodwell, Downing , Raya 

Just now, philipl said:

Thanks for compiling an up-to-date list.

I’m not the one spouting duff info though Phil. I’m not even bothered what others have done tbf so certainly not going to go digging out the transfer history of every club. 

• Like 1

Just now, OJRovers said:

Who are the 4 ins and outs for Rovers?

In 4

Downing, Johnson, Gally, Walton

Out 5?

Reed, Conway, Rodwell, Downing , Raya 

Rodwell hadn't left at that point- I think it was only confirmed yesterday.

Simple matter of this transfer window is that if no quality championship centre back isn't brought in then it's a failure doesn't matter if we sign the 4 best attacking players in the league. 

I'd rather quality over quantity we only needed 4 quality players this summer to push us towards top 6 I'mnot bothered on the amount that is spent whether it be 10 million or 10 pound it's about improving the team. No centre back. No improvement simple as.

• Like 7

Just now, Ricky said:

I’m not the one spouting duff info though Phil. I’m not even bothered what others have done tbf so certainly not going to go digging out the transfer history of every club. 

It is not duff to the extent that most of the 24 clubs are not doing very well in this window and most clubs' supporters' are spitting tacks.

I think I have made my point.

Most windows we seem to get a questionable oldie/busted or dodgy looking signing  - This season so far it's Downing

"           "          "      "      a middle of the road punt where in theory it looks right but in practise it's a 50/50 whether it works -- Johnson

"           "          "      "      an investment that costs money is young and British but raises questions as to why we can invest in that but not where it's really needed in team

"           "          "      "      a youngster or two from a big club to bluff out the squad but probably not cost much

"          "           "      "      a complete meh squaddie or 2 often with an injury or injury record

"          "           "      "      An eye brow raising WTF

So all in all on track for a standard window so far just a few more boxes to tick but why it's often a similar pattern who knows....

Like someone above said this window and the last has called out just for a few quality additions in the right areas not just bodies or scattergun grab a player whilst we can. Mowbray himself spent from last Jan to the start of this window spouting the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah that sounds about right.

For how amazing everyone thinks this Cooper is, He's still at Milwall and I've never seen anyone linked with him or any kind of fee mentioned.

Is he that good or is he another hyperbole player like that Maddison at Peterborough who no matter how much everyone raves about him on here, still looks like being a league one player this season.

Definate hyperbole but he would be a usefull player for us. 

I think today's line up will be interesting indeed. Would like to see a back four of JRC, Nyambe, Lenihan & Bell (as Hart is injured) 

For me we should move on Smallwood, Mulgrew. Evans reads the game well and Williams played well at CB at the end of the season so no problems with them staying. We do need a big experienced Centre back imo. I don't see any point in signing the City lad; plenty of young talent here.

Couldn't be more positive about the season ahead. ?

• Like 1

In my opinion we won't be challenging the top six this year and we should have enough quality to stay up. The 9 year wait for a decent CB is beyond a joke now so I'm of the opinion it's time to play Willian's and lenihan at the back and should anything happen to them put magloire straight in. Give him time off the bench also. We aren't going to get the CB we need so to stop this being a wasted season we need to develop our own if we have any chance of progressing as a club. It's Time to throw him in and hope he can be our new grant Hanley. Phase the old guard out and get Buckley and butter worth on the pitch from the bench and starting cup games. Give nyambe the right back slot and get a full season behind him. LB Is still a problem area as bell can't defend and I don't believe hart is good enough. 

Unless we want to waste another season , we need to do this and then at least it's a stepping stone in the right direction. If we sign the city lad , he may be better but he goes back next season and it's back to square one. Get Buckley ready to try and fill dacks shoes when he eventually leaves because that is a case of when not if. 

If tony does this I could understand and back him regardless of errors and losing points as at least it's a plan with some forward thinking. We will ship goals for fun regardless of of mulgrew or Tyler but at least one has potential. Is Tyler ready ? I'd say no. Is there a better option at the moment the way things stand and seem I'd say not

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Barring cb, we do have players better than those for the first 11.  Not sure they would get us promoted though.  Nor will the manager play them.

We aren't far off though and that's the frustrating thing. 

Well id say we're not far off in the way about 12 teams is the division aren't far off.

If we were to get top six a lot of it will come down to getting a head of steam up, few injuries and the rub of the green.

However without sorting the defence we're just so fragile at the back that all it will take is an injury to Lenihan and we're totally screwed. 

If we signed a really strong CB and a decent young CB (a la Tosin) it would honestly move my expectations from about 15th to around 8th. That's a huge change.

• Like 6

Norwich moved from 15th to 1st, don't see why we can't make the top 6. I have invested heavily on us at 12/1 for promotion. After all we have great young players that competed at an extremely high level last year. Wouldn't swap our attacking options for any teams. And I really like the midfield pairing of Travis and Johnson. Defence is our weakness, but we have plenty of options. Johnson's heading ability, and Gallagher and Walton's height should help us defend set pieces. 

Would like us to sign Mark Bunn and Martin Skirtyl (not sure how to spell his name, but my mate loved him at Liverpool).