BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

14 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Bizarre situation with Wharton. I understand wanting to keep hold of assets who may come good in future, but a 3 year deal seems excessive for someone who doesn't seem to be anywhere near the first team. I'm actually quite surprised he's still only 21. Fair play to him for breaking through when he did a couple of seasons back. 

As for the loan, why is he going back to L2?? The only way that would make sense for us is if they've guaranteed that he'll play every game when fit. Otherwise he should be trying to play regularly at a L1 club like Hart did last season.

I think we are a club devoid of commercial nous.

I've said before, IMO, Waggott has brought very little to the table to improve our club.

At best, Wharton should have been offered no more than a one year contract with a further year's option.  If he didn't like it then he knew where the door was.  At 21/22, I think it's plain to see he's not going to make it as a Championship player.  To me, his development has stalled in the last three years but to be fair to the lad, I think Rovers management of this lad's potential has been abysmal.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

Just now, bluebruce said:

Correct. That's why I only said most of them. His other loans he became a reasonably regular fixture. Including Lincoln the season before, and Bury (promoted) at the back end of last season.

We must be starting a poor man’s version of the Chelsea loan system...

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

I think we are a club devoid of commercial nous.

I've said before, IMO, Waggott has brought very little to the table to improve our club.

At best, Wharton should have been offered no more than a one year contract with a further year's option.  If he didn't like it then he knew where the door was.  At 21/22, I think it's plain to see he's not going to make it as a Championship player.  To me, his development has stalled in the last three years but to be fair to the lad, I think Rovers management of this lad's potential has been abysmal.

Not personal responsibility, no? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not personal responsibility, no? 

Maybe the lad hasn't got it and isn't good enough - just like Brereton, IMO.

Given Wharton's been in and around the first team squad for 3 years or more now, I feel he should have been given more opportunity.  If it's felt he's not good enough, why the feck give him a new contract?  It should be simple enough even for the likes of Mowbray and Waggott who, IMO, demonstrate by the day/week/month they are not up to the job.  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Just now, davulsukur said:

How long did he have left on his contract before signing this new one?

I suspect we get him on new contract and loan him out in hope that a League One club will buy us off him in the future.

Just checked. He still had two years to run on his current deal, a 3-year deal he signed last summer!

Even stranger. 2 years of protection was plenty for the level of asset he is at the moment. I can only think a wage drop (if he is determined to stick around and have security) or a wage rise (no idea why we'd agree that though) is involved.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neal said:

Mowbray is so transparent now it's painful to listen to or accept.

He simply will not bring In players who are massive improvements on the core group he inherited when he took over. He only ever talks about providing "competition" within the squad. Any big money is spent on younger players with possible potential who can be played out of position or left out altogether and simply placed in the category of "one for the future".

That way TM keeps the owners partially happy by spending some money which they probably expect of him, keep expectations relatively low which protects his own position, and at the same time his old favourites aren't replaced or affected.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Interesting comments from Walton in his LT interview today. A couple of times he refers to how quickly the loan deal moved. Given how long our goalie search went on after Raya, that seems to confirm that we missed out on other targets first.

He also said the manager didn't play him against Bury because he didn't know the lads yet.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If he doesn't improve, he is a League Two player based on his experience level. Do you know how paltry the fees League Two clubs pay are? Even League One clubs don't pay much. Highly unlikely we'd get our investment back. I hope his wages are very very small indeed, signing on fee negligible or non-existent, otherwise this is simply wasting (an admittedly small amount of) money.

It shouldn't have any real impact on the big picture either way, but I find it frustrating to make such bizarre arrangements. Especially when contrasted with the short deal for Nyambe, who has assets that could see him go very far if he is honed.

Well like i said his agency has 5 of our young players on its books including Hart and Mick Rathbone works for them so maybe favours get done both ways.

Not suggesting anything dark at all we know football works this way and to be honest i seriously question whether after the gaffers contacts our scouting goes much further than what certain agents can dig up or move on for us still.

Modern football.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Interesting comments from Walton in his LT interview today. A couple of times he refers to how quickly the loan deal moved. Given how long our goalie search went on after Raya, that seems to confirm that we missed out on other targets first.

He also said the manager didn't play him against Bury because he didn't know the lads yet.

Which of course is utter nonsense given that we have now run out of pre-season games.

How well does he need to know the lads before he can play? Middle names or inside leg measurements?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Maybe the lad hasn't got it and isn't good enough - just like Brereton, IMO.

Given Wharton's been in and around the first team squad for 3 years or more now, I feel he should have been given more opportunity.  If it's felt he's not good enough, why the feck give him a new contract?  It should be simple enough even for the likes of Mowbray and Waggott who, IMO, demonstrate by the day/week/month they are not up to the job.  

Wait you don't rate Brereton and dislike Mowbray, when the change of heart? 

Ah Wharton is just a young lad. Probably on relatively low wages. A year on loan, actually paying this time and he might push on and we can either sell him or get him back for the first team. The club have released a lot of young lads over the last year, no harm taking a chance on one or two who they are on the fence with. 

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mowbray is so transparent now it's painful to listen to or accept.

He simply will not bring In players who are massive improvements on the core group he inherited when he took over. He only ever talks about providing "competition" within the squad. Any big money is spent on younger players with possible potential who can be played out of position or left out altogether and simply placed in the category of "one for the future".

That way TM keeps the owners partially happy by spending some money which they probably expect of him, keep expectations relatively low which protects his own position, and at the same time his old favourites aren't replaced or affected.

He has said he wants promotion. It would rejuvenate his career. 

Plus do you really belive they won't sack him if we have a similar season to last? I wouldn't bet on it. He has spent a fair bit and they aren't charity cases. 

He has said he wants promotion. It would rejuvenate his career. 

Plus do you really belive they won't sack him if we have a similar season to last? I wouldn't bet on it. He has spent a fair bit and they aren't charity cases. 

No way will they sack Mowbray. This is part of the problem. His job is as safe as a cheeseburger at a vegan bbq.

He has already had the worst run of any manager at Rovers under their watch and it wasn’t even a question.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Which of course is utter nonsense given that we have now run out of pre-season games.

How well does he need to know the lads before he can play? Middle names or inside leg measurements?

My initial reaction to this was also that it was daft. With only one friendly left after it, and the main thing he needs to do is the same thing he has done most his life, make saves.

That said. Communication is the other key part of his job and he could have ended up barking at people he just met, souring his relationship with his defence from the off, or feeling like he couldn't instruct them yet for the same reason. He wouldn't have known how the unit operates (or in our case fails to) and might expect them to push up where they wouldn't normally etc. It also shouldn't do too much damage him not playing - he hardly needs fitness in his position, and he doesn't know the defensive game plan (so-called) to get used to implementing it. As long as he plays at Blackpool and vs Charlton I'm not too fussed.

I'd still have thrown him in at Bury, personally. I can just see a line of logic about it. Something I can't say for other decisions and priorities...

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

No way will they sack Mowbray. This is part of the problem. His job is as safe as a cheeseburger at a vegan bbq.

He has already had the worst run of any manager at Rovers under their watch and it wasn’t even a question.

Ya, that was brutal but it wasn't that straight forward. He had done a lot of good prior to it, so had credit in the bank. Won manager of the month in February I think it was. We also were never really in danger of relegation. Although I was getting a bit worried. 

I can't see them being happy plodding along in midtable after their audits and subsequent increase in spending. Even allowing for Waggott and Mowbrays relationship. They do their own thing, as we know to our detriment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

A rather odd decision to give Wharton another new contract, given that his old deal still had 2 seasons to run and last year he struggled to break into two league 2 teams.

It's weird isn't it? I can't remember him looking out of place when he played a few games under coyle. Yet, as you say, he couldn't make those team's. Big season for him. 

It's weird isn't it? I can't remember him looking out of place when he played a few games under coyle. Yet, as you say, he couldn't make those team's. Big season for him. 

All depends on his salary. If the loan club are picking up a high % of his wages - all we have done is ensured that he still has 2 years on his contract when he returns from his years loan. Potentially means a minimal outlay - to see whether he improves or not (especially as defenders do tend to reach their peak far later).

• Like 2

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

All depends on his salary. If the loan club are picking up a high % of his wages - all we have done is ensured that he still has 2 years on his contract when he returns from his years loan. Potentially means a minimal outlay - to see whether he improves or not (especially as defenders do tend to reach their peak far later).

I wouldn't imagine a league 2 club are putting much if anything towards it. How much would he be on? £2000 a week? Less? Hard to know. He shouldn't be on anymore to be fair. 

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-chief-delivers-transfer-update-1-9901229/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Paul Cook admits he totally understands the ‘frustration’ of Wigan Athletic fans at the lack of transfer activity to date.

But the Latics boss insists everything is being done behind the scenes to get the squad where it needs to be before the 5pm deadline on August 8.

The LT today not saying anything different from last Monday.

The City youngster expected, perhaps another defender as well. No mention of a bonus keeper.

There will be outgoings to reduce the squad to manageable proportions. Nuttall probably to Accrington Stanley on loan initially.

I'd far rather see the likes of Buckley and Rankin-Costello staying, even Hart given the lack of cover we have at the back. I would be indifferent to Evans leaving and think Smallwood moving on the best for player and club.

• Like 3

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-chief-delivers-transfer-update-1-9901229/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Paul Cook admits he totally understands the ‘frustration’ of Wigan Athletic fans at the lack of transfer activity to date.

But the Latics boss insists everything is being done behind the scenes to get the squad where it needs to be before the 5pm deadline on August 8.

Every chance they go down reading that article...

Despite seeing 13 members of his first-team leave over the summer, Cook has made only two ‘new’ signings this summer – goalkeeper David Marshall and midfielder Lewis Macleod.

He’s also brought in defender Antonee Robinson – who spent last season on loan at the DW – from Everton on a permanent basis.

• Like 1